Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
The other Oblivion thread has gotten too big and I think we should have a new one - dedicated to bugs and problems.

I'm pretty sure I found a bug that a lot of X800 users seem to be experiencing. It involves refraction shaders (bUseRefractionShader in the .ini file) and AA: they absolutely do not work together! The frames drop to something like seconds per frame... :cry: (Anyone experiencing huge frame drops in sight of an oblivion gate - this is you problem)

It has to be a bug in the drivers or game; I'd understand a frame dip but this brings the game to a complete standstill!

With my X800GTO, I probably wont be using AA too much anyway (15-20 FPS in Imperial City with a ~10 guards chasing me, playable, but only just) but I hope this bug gets fixed soon.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
You can go through the games .ini file and turn off all kinds of stuff, you can also call performance degradation a "bug" all you like.

It's not a bug, it's simply your card getting it's ass kicked.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Maybe, but take a small dungeon with no one in it, 50-60+ FPS even with 2X AA, cast turn-undead aaand....prrrt <1 FPS.

And since casting it without AA turned on (or AA on but refract shader off) does not effect the FPS count at all, I assume that it's a bug.

I'll also add, just to help you remember that thinking before posting is a good idea, that at 640x480 with everything turned-down to minimun also gets you <1 FPS.

But I guess you're right, my lowly X800GTO can't handle 640x480 at absolute minimum settings... :roll:

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
No - that's too much work, what, with all the uninstalling and then installing. I have too many things to do as it is and my Oblivion game-time is already hurting other activities.

The problem was documented on other sites, I'm sure, and someone is already busy fixing it.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
if you want the best psu that money can buy, then go with antec.

I recommend Antecs to most people, but they are far from the best money can buy.

They are the most cost effective PSU with what I consider an acceptable level of quality, life-span, etc

If you want the 'best money can buy' then look at:

Check out:
Enermax
PC Power and Cooling
I-Star Computer Co. Ltd.
SilverStonetek Co., Ltd.
Zippy (Emacs)

G

if you want the best psu that money can buy, then go with antec.

I recommend Antecs to most people, but they are far from the best money can buy.

They are the most cost effective PSU with what I consider an acceptable level of quality, life-span, etc

If you want the 'best money can buy' then look at:

Check out:
Enermax
PC Power and Cooling
I-Star Computer Co. Ltd.
SilverStonetek Co., Ltd.
Zippy (Emacs)

Why did you answer this here? It's a little offtopic right? :?

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Just a quick question Snorkius have you tried the new beta driver from ATI ? (I dont know why they are calling it a patch hmmm well maybe its just drivers with a patch pre aplied) Anywho They helped me alot with my card although my radion 9800 doesnt share that problem ? I bet you get better frames then me most of the other times though ;)

G

I'm Other-cursed. Not even a mildly serious thread I start can stay on topic.

Yep; seems there are too much ******* around here. That really pisses me off. How can you start brabbeling about PSU's in a game section? And furthermore there seems to be peeps that don't get it at all. They just keep on going and going and going. Like there is no necessity of reading the beginning of a discussion. Just read the last few words and add your crap. Dammit! :evil:

Ok. Now I've vented. I feel better. :?

If just some people never logged in again... :x