lagging problems with dual core?

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I was playing steam (natural selection) and I was running my nod32 anti-virus, and both my cpu's were running 100% and I was getting some pretty bad lag. The reason I was doing this, well simply I can. I figured I wouldn't have laging problems but I was definetly having one. Any ideas why?

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Is your HDD working hard out?

I know it sounds dumb LOL but I just figured it wouldn't lag that bad. I was running the nod32 virus scan while playing steam.

I dont know if you saw my second thread but for some reason when i went to shut down my pc, it didn't. I mean all my system tray icons are shut down but my pc is still running. I never had this problem before. Any ideas what's up? A little worried.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Oh, so it was actually 'scanning' not just monitoring. Jeez! *shakes head*

You can have anything that loads the 2nd core to maximum, anything except ones that constantly access the HDD while you're gaming.
Scanning with anti-virus counts as one.

I c. And I thought dual core were suppose to handle that kind of stuff. LOL. weak. Well in case you missed my other thread.

I was shutting down my pc but didn't. All my tray icons are shut down but my pc isn't???? This is very strange. Any idea's? I was downloading a program called winpatrol in limewire and my anti-virus detected a virus. Both my anti-virus caught it and I assume deleted it because it said it did. I ran both again to make sure and there's none detected. Any ideas? win32/trojanclicker.elf.dm trojan and win32/trojandropper.vb.lu trojan.

I was playing steam (natural selection) and I was running my nod32 anti-virus, and both my cpu's were running 100% and I was getting some pretty bad lag. The reason I was doing this, well simply I can. I figured I wouldn't have laging problems but I was definetly having one. Any ideas why?

nothing to do with having dual core...if the game and the anti-virus are accessing the same disk at the same time, you're gonne get lag...it's the I/O...

As far as the shut down, if the both cores were loaded to 100% and you gave the machine the shut down command, that command had to que until the commands that are loading the dual oree to 100% are finished before it can totally address the shut down command...some services may have closed (tray icons) but that does not always mean the procs were able to complete shut down the command...

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006

You can have anything that loads the 2nd core to maximum, anything except ones that constantly access the HDD while you're gaming.

I c. And I thought dual core were suppose to handle that kind of stuff. LOL. weak. Well in case you missed my other thread.

I was shutting down my pc but didn't. All my tray icons are shut down but my pc isn't???? This is very strange. Any idea's? I was downloading a program called winpatrol in limewire and my anti-virus detected a virus. Both my anti-virus caught it and I assume deleted it because it said it did. I ran both again to make sure and there's none detected. Any ideas? win32/trojanclicker.elf.dm trojan and win32/trojandropper.vb.lu trojan.

Well, having dual cores does handle tasks at hand but you have to remember, you only have one access HDD and everything basically comes from that drive. (unless your running a RAID setup) Depending on the chipset, motherboard and what else is running, it can and will cause lag issues when using an application that requires heavy resources from the machine.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

nothing to do with having dual core...if the game and the anti-virus are accessing the same disk at the same time, you're gonne get lag...it's the I/O...

As far as the shut down, if the both cores were loaded to 100% and you gave the machine the shut down command, that command had to que until the commands that are loading the dual oree to 100% are finished before it can totally address the shut down command...some services may have closed (tray icons) but that does not always mean the procs were able to complete shut down the command...

Well after running the virus scan and playing steam at the sametime, I didnt shut down right away. I browsed the net for a while. Probably around 10 to 20 min before I decided to shut down. I mean I ran mutli programs before and played a game while I was doing this, and it never had that shut down problem before. The only thing I can think of is, getting that damn trojan. Then that's when it took the turn for the worse. That's why I went on this forum to get some opions. Now if it wasn't for the trojan, and it didnt' probably shut down properly I probably wouldn't have made a such a big deal. :roll:

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

Well, having dual cores does handle tasks at hand but you have to remember, you only have one access HDD and everything basically comes from that drive. (unless your running a RAID setup) Depending on the chipset, motherboard and what else is running, it can and will cause lag issues when using an application that requires heavy resources from the machine.

Yea starting to understand better. I mean I ran multi apps before and didn't have that much of a problem. When I was playing steam and running anti-virus, at first I was getting really, I mean really bad lag. I was getting like 10 fps. But after a few minutes it started smoothing out. I had my task manager on while playing the game so I can see how much my cpu was working. Both cores were doing 90 to 100%, but the lag wasn't as bad. Could any of you guys explain that?

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
How up-to-date is your OS ? There are a few patches that need to be applied in order to correct some issues with Dual-Core CPUs.

Beside, if your AV software is eating away too much ressources, disable it, you only need to run a scan once in a while or before running a suspicious file.

Based on how you describe it, that nod32 AV seems to be a rather bloated piece of software, AVG does'nt use as much ressources, even when running a full scan.

Try uninstalling nod32 and run your games, see if there are any improvements.

pat

Expert
The resource required to run AV just isn't worth it.

Unless you use a small 10 megs AV like Alwil Avast. Free, and not ressources hog as commercial one. Fact is, I was trying in on my system for evaluation, and ended up leaving it there anyway..

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Seriously, you should lose that habit of downloading cracked software from P2P networks then blaming your hardware for the problems caused.

As you mentionned it in This Thread (your issues should have been kept within a single thread), your "free" download was spiked with an harmfull payload.

Were those nod32 & Norton AV also acquired from unreliable sources ?

That's pretty ironic when you think about it, you caught a Trojan by downloading a cracked software meant to get rid of such nuisances.

No amount of AV software will keep you from infecting your computer.

I got the growing suspicion that we're dealing with a PIBKAC here...

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Seriously, you should lose that habit of downloading cracked software from P2P networks then blaming your hardware for the problems caused.

As you mentionned it in This Thread (your issues should have been kept within a single thread), your "free" download was spiked with an harmfull payload.

That's pretty ironic when you think about it, you caught a Trojan by downloading a cracked software meant to get rid of such nuisances.

My norton premiere is legit. I mean I dont have all "illegal" software. I also have nod32 as well. On another forum someone said running 2 anti-virus isnt' good. Anyone care to explain why? I mean so far I haven't had any problems with 2 anti-viruses.

tamalsmith

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006

My norton premiere is legit. I mean I dont have all "illegal" software. I also have nod32 as well. On another forum someone said running 2 anti-virus isnt' good. Anyone care to explain why? I mean so far I haven't had any problems with 2 anti-viruses.

since both have to take a chew in the protected section of the memory, its stupid to have both antivirus at same time, since they will block betwen them..
currently Nod32 is very efficient and light, so I dont see great impact with norton
but if you had example... Mcafee and yuo tossed Norton, it would be a goodamn trouble. I recomend you trash Norton and try Nod32 fully
its way faster, consumes less cpu/memory than norton. stay with norton if you like for-dummies look, with windows XP's playground theme wich is too easy to use.

once I moved to nod32, trust me, you will never go back to norton :p

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

since both have to take a chew in the protected section of the memory, its stupid to have both antivirus at same time, since they will block betwen them..
currently Nod32 is very efficient and light, so I dont see great impact with norton
but if you had example... Mcafee and yuo tossed Norton, it would be a goodamn trouble. I recomend you trash Norton and try Nod32 fully
its way faster, consumes less cpu/memory than norton. stay with norton if you like for-dummies look, with windows XP's playground theme wich is too easy to use.

The reason why I have norton because i had norton everysince I had a computer. I like the features that norton premiere offers. But I c why people don't like norton because norton premeire cosumes 112 mb which is a lot. But thanks for the advice. :twisted:

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Hmm DMA how glorious it will be when they find a much more suitable technology for I/O requests.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005

Have you tried Avast? If so how do they compare? In my experience it is the most successful at ridding a computer of the widest variety of viruses out there. AVG is good too. Anything new from mcafee and norton for home users is crap so dont even bother. Norton goback locks you out of safemode and if u partially uninstall it and it !@#$'s up(which is very likely to happen unless you use the norton removal tool)(tinyurl.com/6sppr) then your !@#$'ed again. Then you have to rebuild your boot.ini file and run fix /mbr and then possibly do a repair install which wont work because norton will cause a blue screen just because it's bored.
Mcafee is crap because any type of system restore you do will corrupt part of it and it must be reinstalled. Not to mention it simply lets in 90% of viruses. Oh and the thing i love about both of them is that right after they run out of subscription they have about a 50% chance of !@#$ing with you IE setting's so you have to reset all of your IE setting's and uninstall the old AV.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

Have you tried Avast? If so how do they compare? In my experience it is the most successful at ridding a computer of the widest variety of viruses out there. AVG is good too. Anything new from mcafee and norton for home users is crap so dont even bother. Norton goback locks you out of safemode and if u partially uninstall it and it !@#$'s up(which is very likely to happen unless you use the norton removal tool)(tinyurl.com/6sppr) then your !@#$'ed again. Then you have to rebuild your boot.ini file and run fix /mbr and then possibly do a repair install which wont work because norton will cause a blue screen just because it's bored.
Mcafee is crap because any type of system restore you do will corrupt part of it and it must be reinstalled. Not to mention it simply lets in 90% of viruses. Oh and the thing i love about both of them is that right after they run out of subscription they have about a 50% chance of !@#$ing with you IE setting's so you have to reset all of your IE setting's and uninstall the old AV.
wow a lot of hate for norton and mcafee.