PC won't shut down???

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Ok wow for some reason I was shutting down my pc. But it's not. All my tray icons are shut down but my pc isn't???? This is very strange. Any idea's? 8O 8O 8O

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Have you tried using the on/off button, the on/off switch on the PSU, or simply unplugging it? Sometimes forcing it off and back on will fix the problem. A lot of times it's one program that's not shutting down and prevents the machine from turning off.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
It sounds like you may have a program that is not shutting down properly. If you are using Windows XP, you can just hold down the power off button usually default is set at about 4 seconds. XP is designed to do this with little risk of losing data.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
It sounds like you may have a program that is not shutting down properly. If you are using Windows XP, you can just hold down the power off button usually default is set at about 4 seconds. XP is designed to do this with little risk of losing data.

Well I ended up doing that. Well I just down loaded winpatrol from download.com. Then I tried dl the the pro verision form limewire. When I did that a virus was spotted by nod32 and norton. I beleive I did get rid of the trojan. I ran my virus scan again and there is no threat. the virus i got was win32/trojanclicker.elf.dm trojan and win32/trojandropper.vb.lu trojan.

That's when it started acting up. I thought my virus protection didn't get rid of it. So, I assumed that's why my computer didn't shut down.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
dunno if this helps but mu older PC i has to leave th emonitor on during the turning off process or it just froze with the background and nothing els, yah dunno why

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
It could be that whatever the trojan infected may have corrupted a program after removal. You might try reinstalling a few things that may have been infected. I would also check your startup files and try to minimize what is running in the background. If you eliminate all unnecessary programs running it may help.

go to: run
type: msconfig
go to: startup tab

Just in case you didn't know where it was.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Well I ended up doing that. Well I just down loaded winpatrol from download.com. Then I tried dl the the pro verision form limewire. When I did that a virus was spotted by nod32 and norton. I beleive I did get rid of the trojan. I ran my virus scan again and there is no threat. the virus i got was win32/trojanclicker.elf.dm trojan and win32/trojandropper.vb.lu trojan.

That's when it started acting up. I thought my virus protection didn't get rid of it. So, I assumed that's why my computer didn't shut down.

If you haven't done so, run a couple of anti-spyware programs. Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware are both free. Microsoft has a free program as well. Run all 3 because as far as I know there is no single program that will pickup all spywar.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
adaware seems to be one of the better free ones. Microsoft version kinda sucks but its free. However for pay versions spy sweeper by webroot is excellent it seems to be the most thorough single program.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I'm using Spy Sweeper and after I run it Adaware and Spybot both pick up stuff it misses. Can't remember what it is but it's a pretty common adware and I was suprised Spy Sweeper missed it. Overall, Spy Sweeper is a decent program

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Yes it is hard to get any one program to get it all. I have done the same thing only running adaware first and then spy sweeper with spy sweeper picking up things missed by adaware. Adaware was blasted a year or 2 ago for taking money from one of the spyware companies to not remove their spyware. But I have never had a problem with their software. I think adaware, spy sweeper, and spybot will get most if not all of the real malicious stuff.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
That's why I use Spy Sweeper, Adaware, and Spybot and generally Spy Sweeper and Adaware get everything. A while back a bunch of anti-spyware companies where either excluding certain adware when scanning or in discussions to do so. As far as I know, there was so much outrage that they dropped that idea. Sometimes I have to wonder about the people running tech companies, especially software. Why would try to sell anti-spyware that for the right price will ignore you’re adware? Can’t believe they think their customers are that stupid.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
If u wanna issolate what's causing the hangup click start / Run/ type Msconfig then ok / Selective startup / apply / close / restart.
When it gets into windows agina click on "dont display this msg or run the system configuration utility again" and then / ok / Shut down again and if it goes down normally then some piece of 3P software is causing you to hang. From there go back into msconfig and enable startup item's that you need such as your AV and antispyware as well as their services(next tab to the left) Restart again and if its normal again then chances are you AV and AS dont like one of your problems.
Otherwise you have a variation of a windows virus known as XP so deal with it :lol:

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
adaware seems to be one of the better free ones. Microsoft version kinda sucks but its free. However for pay versions spy sweeper by webroot is excellent it seems to be the most thorough single program.

that is a crock of $hit! adaware can't find anything but harmless cookies. it's a genuine PoS. I ran Adaware on a machine, it found 7 cookies. I downloaded Spybot Search and Destroy, and it found 23, that's right, TWENTY-THREE spyware programs.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I've found that most antivirus programs do not do a good job cleaning up problems if they do happen. Usually because the process is running and the AV cannot "clean" the process once it is running. Or the process simply copies itself under a different name and starts all over again.

The best way I've found to clean up messes is to boot into Windows Safe Mode with networking. Log into the Administrator account.

Then go here and run the free online scan.