XCOPY to DVD

My system is XP-Home with SP2.

I'm trying to set up a simple batch file to backup selected directories to a
DVD. It contains lines of the form:

XCOPY c:\Misc f:\Misc\ /s /d

The thing is that if I set it up to copy to a second hard drive, it works as
desired and only backs up stuff that isn't already there. When I make it
copy to my DVD though it effectively ignores the "/d" parameter. The second
time I do the backup to DVD it sees that a file is already present of the
same name and asks me if I want to overwrite it. And if I look on the DVD
with Explorer it reports back the same date as the source file.

Is there something magic about writing to a DVD that I need to do to make
XCOPY recognize the "/d" parameter? Allowing it to overwrite all the
preexisting files every time I want to do an incremental backup brings the
whole process to a very slow grind.

Thanks...

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)
7 answers Last reply
More about xcopy

    The cmd doesnt look right,to transfer hd to hd in xp,youd
    type: XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r D: being the slave drive.For cmds
    in XCOPY try opening cmd prompt,in cmd type:XCOPY /?

    Bill Martin <KILLSPAMwylie@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >My system is XP-Home with SP2.
    >
    >I'm trying to set up a simple batch file to backup selected directories to a
    >DVD. It contains lines of the form:
    >
    >XCOPY c:\Misc f:\Misc\ /s /d
    >
    >The thing is that if I set it up to copy to a second hard drive, it works as
    >desired and only backs up stuff that isn't already there. When I make it
    >copy to my DVD though it effectively ignores the "/d" parameter. The second
    >time I do the backup to DVD it sees that a file is already present of the
    >same name and asks me if I want to overwrite it. And if I look on the DVD
    >with Explorer it reports back the same date as the source file.
    >
    >Is there something magic about writing to a DVD that I need to do to make
    >XCOPY recognize the "/d" parameter? Allowing it to overwrite all the
    >preexisting files every time I want to do an incremental backup brings the
    >whole process to a very slow grind.
    >
    >Thanks...

    I am not sure about the specific example of using XCOPY to copy to a
    CD or DVD, but in general it can be risky to copy large numbers of
    files with XCOPY because of potential changes to the short (8+3) file
    names for files that use long file names.

    See http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips#newdisk for a simple demonstration
    that you can do that will illustrate how the 8+3 file names can be
    changed by xcopy. And as the article says just check your registry
    for references to "micros~" to see how often these short 8+3 file
    names are actually used to locate files or folders.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    > I am not sure about the specific example of using XCOPY to copy to a
    > CD or DVD, but in general it can be risky to copy large numbers of
    > files with XCOPY because of potential changes to the short (8+3) file
    > names for files that use long file names.
    >
    > See http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips#newdisk for a simple demonstration
    > that you can do that will illustrate how the 8+3 file names can be
    > changed by xcopy. And as the article says just check your registry
    > for references to "micros~" to see how often these short 8+3 file
    > names are actually used to locate files or folders.

    That's slightly bizarre. I don't think it's an issue in my particular case
    since I'm just backing up data files for my various applications -- nothing
    that's referenced in the registry surely. Even so, it's somewhat unsettling
    that XCOPY apparently has such a shortcoming.

    Thanks for the info.

    Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

    > The cmd doesnt look right,to transfer hd to hd in xp,youd
    > type: XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r D: being the slave drive.For cmds
    > in XCOPY try opening cmd prompt,in cmd type:XCOPY /?

    Your parameter string is not what I'd personally choose for data backups. I
    don't want it skipping over errors (/c) and I don't care about hidden files
    (/h) or special attributes (/k/r) and such since I'm just trying to
    incrementally backup up some user data files. Also your string does not
    address the incremental backup issue which /d) is supposed to handle in the
    first place.

    Thanks for the thoughts.

    Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

    P.S. Given that my basic goal is just to do incremental backups on
    subdirectories with maybe 3 or 4GB of data files total, is there some
    approach you'd personally recommend rather than XCOPY?

    I've seen some people mention Smart Synch, but I haven't played with it yet.
    Maybe I'll also have to install XP's Backup and play with that, though I
    understood it to be targeted more at doing full backups.

    Check out XXCOPY (free) from http://www.xxcopy.com

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    How about robocopy, free from Microsoft's Windows 2003 Server Resource
    Kit, or rsynch http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/ which is very highy
    regarded from highly regarded developers (also free).

    Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

    rms

    Bill Martin wrote:
    > P.S. Given that my basic goal is just to do incremental backups on
    > subdirectories with maybe 3 or 4GB of data files total, is there some
    > approach you'd personally recommend rather than XCOPY?
    >
    > I've seen some people mention Smart Synch, but I haven't played with it yet.
    > Maybe I'll also have to install XP's Backup and play with that, though I
    > understood it to be targeted more at doing full backups.
    >
    > Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

DVD Backup Windows XP