carbon_14

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
New to this so Im sorry if this has been already posted.
Recently upgraded to a Pentium D 830 3Ghz, which runs at 54ish degrees, concidering its duel core is that acceptable or do i need to buy a new cooling system??
Thanks for advice

paul33

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
Hi I also have the same CPU, though due to a common problem with my ASUS motherboard I have it running like a hyper threaded CPU. With it running in this configuation I run 24/7 the SETI program which utiliSes both CPU's 100% and the temp is constantly about 58 C, its been like this for quite a while now with out any problems

Paul

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
As long as it doesn't go up to more than 60c* under load then you should be fine. But pentium can run hotter unlike the amd counterpart. I got a Big Typhoon HSF on my 840 and it idles at 45 and load 55 but I'm not worried about it when it goes over 65 during cpu stress test and stuff. My bros pentium D 820, in a gateway pc runs at 55 idle and goes over 65 during gaming but that doesn't slow it down. But it is better to run the cpu as cool as possible especially applying overclocking on the chip. So if you want to better cool it down then get some good HSF like Big Typhoon, Zalman and alike, better yet get a water cooling and there's one you can pawn for around $120 and it is only capable of cooling just the cpu a good down to 35c to 40c idle. It's a lot better than stock and HSF. I myself is saving some mulla to get a Swiftech water cooling kit for my rig. Also get some good thermal paste to go with the new CPU cooler like the OCZ or Artic Silver.

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
New to this so Im sorry if this has been already posted.
Recently upgraded to a Pentium D 830 3Ghz, which runs at 54ish degrees, concidering its duel core is that acceptable or do i need to buy a new cooling system??
Thanks for advice

Are you using the stock cooler? If you are, chances are it's not seated right. Intel has had many problems with the 775 HSFs not seating right. What I do is install it using a good thermal paste such as arctic silver and I make sure the feet are securely against the motherboard. I tug on the cooler to make sure they are solidly locked in place. I can't tell you how many times i've installed one only to have the feet pop out of the holes. As long as they don't come out, your set and it should run nice and cool.