KTEX Telluride obstacle course

crash

Taking off at altitude is difficult enough without the FAA and/or airport
authority making it worse..
KTEX, Telluride, CO 9,600'
www.cox-internet.com/tazman/KTEX.jpg

A little n/w of KTEX is the Wilson Ranch, with CO95 & CO68 - it'd bring a
tear to our favorite spammer, Ron Grossi!!
www.cox-internet.com/tazman/CO95.jpg

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:05:40 -0500, CRaSH wrote:

> Taking off at altitude is difficult enough without the FAA and/or airport
> authority making it worse..
> KTEX, Telluride, CO 9,600'
> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/KTEX.jpg

Helloooo! Can someone please move that runway back to where it was before?
Damn frat pranks!!

> A little n/w of KTEX is the Wilson Ranch, with CO95 & CO68 - it'd bring a
> tear to our favorite spammer, Ron Grossi!!
> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/CO95.jpg

:)
If that area to the left is the apron, the pilots have a big problem
getting there! Still....it's sort of ideal for guys like boB, eh?

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(It's good to be the king! - Mel Brooks)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Marcel Kuijper wrote:

> :)
> If that area to the left is the apron, the pilots have a big problem
> getting there! Still....it's sort of ideal for guys like boB, eh?

I cannot remember many times a tower required me to hover to a runway
just to depart the airport. It was always "depart east, don't come back"

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:53:36 GMT, boB wrote:

> I cannot remember many times a tower required me to hover to a runway
> just to depart the airport. It was always "depart east, don't come back"

There's a helicopter school at EHLE (R22's only!) and I never did
understand why they do things in a certain way.

They start up just outside the hangar, hover to the gaspump and after
refueling they hover towards the runway. Since the pump is near the halfway
point of the runway, that's where they take off.

But if refueling isn't necessary they still hover to the runway for t/o.
Why? Why not take off from their apron?

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Gear up, AP engaged...hey...what's that emergency light?)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Marcel Kuijper wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:53:36 GMT, boB wrote:
>

>>I cannot remember many times a tower required me to hover to a runway
>>just to depart the airport. It was always "depart east, don't come back"
>

> There's a helicopter school at EHLE (R22's only!) and I never did
> understand why they do things in a certain way.
>
> They start up just outside the hangar, hover to the gaspump and after
> refueling they hover towards the runway. Since the pump is near the halfway
> point of the runway, that's where they take off.
>
> But if refueling isn't necessary they still hover to the runway for t/o.
> Why? Why not take off from their apron?

It must be they are strict for some reason. Stuttgart Intl never once
had us hover to the runway and for sure they never wanted us to land on
it. Coming in from the north the tower would put us on a right downwind
at 800 feet and as soon as they had a bit of spacing they cleared us for
an "expedited" crossing to land in the grass south of the runway. If
they told us to cross before we were established on downwind it always
created a very steep approach which was quite a fun challenge. The tower
only did it for us, the Wing callsign, since they knew we understood
what they expected. A helicopter without the Wing callsign always had a
bad time landing. The tower talked fast and clear but those not
accustomed got lost very quick and would qualify for the SAG call sign
we have here. :) And the pilot that called tower without the current
ATIS were usually put into a holding pattern over the Mercedes complex
for a bit. The pilots that did manage to land at our Company area all
bitched about the tower and hardly any ever came back.

--

boB,
WING 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

To reply privately, get rid of PuPPYmillS
akita_77PuPPYmillS@yahoo.com
(akita_77-note the underscore)

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:21:23 GMT, boB wrote:

> It must be they are strict for some reason. Stuttgart Intl never once
> had us hover to the runway and for sure they never wanted us to land on
> it. Coming in from the north the tower would put us on a right downwind
> at 800 feet and as soon as they had a bit of spacing they cleared us for
> an "expedited" crossing to land in the grass south of the runway. If
> they told us to cross before we were established on downwind it always
> created a very steep approach which was quite a fun challenge. The tower
> only did it for us, the Wing callsign, since they knew we understood
> what they expected. A helicopter without the Wing callsign always had a
> bad time landing. The tower talked fast and clear but those not
> accustomed got lost very quick and would qualify for the SAG call sign
> we have here. :) And the pilot that called tower without the current
> ATIS were usually put into a holding pattern over the Mercedes complex
> for a bit. The pilots that did manage to land at our Company area all
> bitched about the tower and hardly any ever came back.

Sounds like an experience by itself. :)

I can just see it: visiting traffic being put in a consistent hold pattern,
home traffic getting carte blanche, 2 hours later the first visiting
aircraft drops from the sky due to lack of fuel, Stuttgart cleaning crew
dashes out to the crashsite, dead rabbits and pigeons everywhere....

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(If you've gotta be part of a group, be part of a group of simmers!)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Marcel Kuijper wrote:

> Sounds like an experience by itself. :)
>
> I can just see it: visiting traffic being put in a consistent hold pattern,
> home traffic getting carte blanche, 2 hours later the first visiting
> aircraft drops from the sky due to lack of fuel, Stuttgart cleaning crew
> dashes out to the crashsite, dead rabbits and pigeons everywhere....

You have seen it!!!! :)

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

To reply privately, get rid of PuPPYmillS
akita_77PuPPYmillS@yahoo.com
(akita_77-note the underscore)

Heh heh heh heh

Mike C