cannot cd to directories with embedded spaces in name

cd "\my directory"

and all other tried incantations do not work. I frequently need to
cd from within a DOS box and it seems that the XP DOS box doesn't
like the extended directory names.

how would I quote the directory name in a cd command if it has spaces in
the name?
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot directories embedded spaces name

    noone@linux.local wrote:

    > cd "\my directory"
    >
    > and all other tried incantations do not work. I frequently need to
    > cd from within a DOS box and it seems that the XP DOS box doesn't
    > like the extended directory names.
    >
    > how would I quote the directory name in a cd command if it has spaces in
    > the name?

    From the root (C:\, e.g.) cd "c:\documents and settings\herb
    works for me, with or without the close quotes.

DOS Microsoft Command Prompt CD-Rom Windows XP