cannot cd to directories with embedded spaces in name

September 8, 2004 7:16:11 PM

cd "\my directory"

and all other tried incantations do not work. I frequently need to
cd from within a DOS box and it seems that the XP DOS box doesn't
like the extended directory names.

how would I quote the directory name in a cd command if it has spaces in
the name?
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 10:18:24 PM

noone@linux.local wrote:

> cd "\my directory"
>
> and all other tried incantations do not work. I frequently need to
> cd from within a DOS box and it seems that the XP DOS box doesn't
> like the extended directory names.
>
> how would I quote the directory name in a cd command if it has spaces in
> the name?

From the root (C:\, e.g.) cd "c:\documents and settings\herb
works for me, with or without the close quotes.
!