Sign in with
Your question

bois updating problems with asus update

Last response: in Motherboards
April 8, 2006 3:12:27 PM

I have an asus a8n32 sli-deluxe mb and i am trying to update my bios using the asus update software that came with my motherboard due to a problem with my new sound card. I cannot use the asus updater that came on the cd nor can i use the latest updater from your web site as it keeps popping up with a message saying 'unable to create nt driver service for bs_def.dll' I have windows XP pro though. then another message pops up telling me 'unable to get bios information'. I cant get any further than this can you please help?
April 8, 2006 3:30:12 PM

Quote:
I have an asus a8n32 sli-deluxe 'unable to create nt driver service for bs_def.dll' I have windows XP pro though. then another message pops up telling me 'unable to get bios information'. I cant get any further than this can you please help?

Asus's update utility just dosen't work. I have been trying to use this utility and found it worked once years ago on an old mobo I had, but haven't gotten it working since. I love Asus boards but find their tools lacking. I currently have the same board you do and it's not working for me either.

I would update the board manually by booting with a floppy and runnning Afudos which is the dos based flash utility for that mobo.
April 9, 2006 1:45:36 PM

Agreed, make a dos boot disk and flash the bios that way. The windows updater is sh!t.
Related resources
April 9, 2006 2:39:30 PM

Quote:
Agreed, make a dos boot disk and flash the bios that way. The windows updater is sh!t.

It seems that Asus concentrates mostly on their boards and other hardware, but have monkeys work on their software so most of their programs lack ability to work at all. I for one do love their hardware (mainboards specificly) and will never flame them for that.
April 10, 2006 8:28:05 AM

i dont have a floppy disk drive. is there any way of doing it without a boot floppy?
April 10, 2006 9:41:50 AM

I suspect you are using a Sound Blaster card...

The solution is as follows:
-Run "regedit" from the RUN prompt
-Find the entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareWow6432Node"
-Delete the entry completely! (For some just changing the name by adding an "a" works, but for me only deleting it does the trick.

As of now, there were no side effects by removing this entry, which I believe should have been only part of the 64-bit installation.
April 11, 2011 3:34:19 AM

alexs3d2 said:
I suspect you are using a Sound Blaster card...

The solution is as follows:
-Run "regedit" from the RUN prompt
-Find the entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareWow6432Node"
-Delete the entry completely! (For some just changing the name by adding an "a" works, but for me only deleting it does the trick.

As of now, there were no side effects by removing this entry, which I believe should have been only part of the 64-bit installation.
I just deleted that registry key/folder thing, and now I cannot log into my computer. The user profiles don't display on the login screen. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I am attempting a System Restore now. :p 
!