Sign in with
Your question

Wrong processor shipped, will it matter in the end?

Last response: in CPUs
April 8, 2006 3:48:40 PM

Hi everyone - I'm new here and was referred from another forum. Would appreciate thoughts and guidance.

I ordered a Dell Precision 380, and because of a miscommunication, the sales rep ordered a different processor. The system was supposed to come standard with the Pentium D 820, 2.80GHz/800MHz/2x1MB L2 cache, Dual-core processor, but she ordered the Pentium 4 Processor 630 3.00GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz. There is no price difference.

She was trying to rushing my order, as I'm unexpectedly without a desktop. To do this, she "upgraded" to a system with the 3.00GHz P4 that was available to ship immediately. But she failed to tell me that it was a different processor and I didn't find out until it had already shipped. Once it arrives, I can return it at no cost and they'll ship the correct computer, but I'm trying to figure out if I was really ordering the right processor for me, and if it's worth the hassle/wait of returning and reordering.

I do graphic design and use PDFs and applications like Photoshop, Quark, etc. to open and manipulate large files simultaneously. I have limited knowledge about processors, but keep reading that the Pentium D is better able to handle multitasking, which is why I initially chose it. The system has 2GB, 667MHz, DDR2 ECC SDRAM Memory and ATI FireGL V3100, 128MB single DVI/VGA,GraphicsCard, if that makes any difference.

In my use for graphic design, would I would truly notice a difference between the two processors?

Can anyone help? Thanks!
April 8, 2006 4:24:32 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone - I'm new here and was referred from another forum. Would appreciate thoughts and guidance.

I ordered a Dell Precision 380, and because of a miscommunication, the sales rep ordered a different processor. The system was supposed to come standard with the Pentium D 820, 2.80GHz/800MHz/2x1MB L2 cache, Dual-core processor, but she ordered the Pentium 4 Processor 630 3.00GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz. There is no price difference.

She was trying to rushing my order, as I'm unexpectedly without a desktop. To do this, she "upgraded" to a system with the 3.00GHz P4 that was available to ship immediately. But she failed to tell me that it was a different processor and I didn't find out until it had already shipped. Once it arrives, I can return it at no cost and they'll ship the correct computer, but I'm trying to figure out if I was really ordering the right processor for me, and if it's worth the hassle/wait of returning and reordering.

I do graphic design and use PDFs and applications like Photoshop, Quark, etc. to open and manipulate large files simultaneously. I have limited knowledge about processors, but keep reading that the Pentium D is better able to handle multitasking, which is why I initially chose it. The system has 2GB, 667MHz, DDR2 ECC SDRAM Memory and ATI FireGL V3100, 128MB single DVI/VGA,GraphicsCard, if that makes any difference.

In my use for graphic design, would I would truly notice a difference between the two processors?

Can anyone help? Thanks!

The Pentium D 820 is dual core while the 630 is a prescott core that is a single core with hyperthreading. If it were me, I would tell them to ship with the pentium D. Having the dual core is way better. But that's my humble opinion.
April 8, 2006 4:26:17 PM

If the 3 Ghz is a single core, ship that puppy back and get your 2.8. For what you want to do, accept no less than a dual core. And talk then into doubling your ram for all the hassle, they'll go for it. Just get a little angry. =D
Related resources
April 8, 2006 4:32:16 PM

Quote:

Depending.... are the specs you listed aboe 2 Gig, 667 MHz etc on the system that is coming?

The thing to check when it arrives is whether it is single or dual core. Based on your stated usage, dual core will perform better than signal core, especially if you buy new software 1-2 years from now in graphic design, as they will be optimized over time to make more effective use of multi-cores. For Intel products, you can easily tell if it is dual core because the Intel logo will label it a Pentium D, D as in dual :) 

The system that shipped has the P4 630 3.00GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz processor, but the other specifications I listed above are the same. So, if I want the dual-core, I'll have to return it and have a new system reshipped.

You brought up a software issue that I didn't even consider - DUH. I recently upgraded to Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Acrobat 7.0. The Photoshop box states "Intel Xeon, Xeon Dual, Intel Centrino, or Pentium III or 4 processor," and the Acrobat box states, "Intel Pentium processor." I'm still using an old version of Quark, and am unsure whether I'll stick with that in the future or switch to a different program.

Does this mean I woudn't benefit from a dual-core processor at all, or just not as much as with future upgrades?
April 8, 2006 4:46:17 PM

You bought a Dell, they messed up and you got screwed.

Classic...

Not much can be done, deal with them, if they can't resolve the matter to your satisfaction, you'll know why hardware enthusiasts have such a low opinion of Dell and the likes.
April 8, 2006 5:00:36 PM

Quote:

Can anyone help? Thanks!
I have that processor (the 630) in one of my computers, other than that, I have AMD's. Anyway, you need to raise hell with them, that Dual Core is what you ordered, and that is what your supposed to get. Don't accept what they give you, persue what you ordered.
April 8, 2006 5:02:17 PM

Quote:
If the 3 Ghz is a single core, ship that puppy back and get your 2.8. For what you want to do, accept no less than a dual core. And talk then into doubling your ram for all the hassle, they'll go for it. Just get a little angry. =D

I agree with that. My attitude about Dell flip-flops from time to time. I see a bargain and think they ain't so bad. Then they pull this kind of crap and I remember the bad experiences I've had. If you ever have to deal with their tech support, you'll be sorry.

But I still lust that 24" monitor of theirs...
April 8, 2006 5:09:39 PM

:roll: Dell....tsssk.

Tell them you want the Pentium D. Its Faster than That 630 even without multi-threaded software(WinXP will get 2 Cores & 4 Threads@2.8GHz(820) vs. 1 Core & two threads@3.0GHz(630), do the math.

Do not pay for their mistake. Get very angry, but within the law.
Threaten to sue, e-mail friends, pickett, anything you know they won't like.

You should not pay for her mistake. You should have bought a FALCON NORTHWEST AMD ALTHON64 X2-ANY SPEED...COMPUTER. But the horse has gone through the gate so that's my advice, and i know i'm right.
April 8, 2006 5:19:01 PM

How did you work out 4 threads on an 820? Only the extreme edition Pentium D's have hyperthreading enabled, all the lower versions are dual core, dual thread as far as I'm aware.
April 8, 2006 5:36:16 PM

Ixion is right about the 820 not being hyperthreading enabled. So you'll have 2 threads going with either processor. (both the 630 & 820 will show 2 cpu charts in task manager in case you check) However, I think of hyperthreading as kind of a "poor man's" dual core so you should definetly get what you paid for. I've heard that since the Intel dual-cores communicate thru a shared FSB that the 630 might outperform the 820 on some games and such, but for the programs your using (photoshop etc.) the 820 is the way to go. A friend had the same thing happen with Dell when ordering a laptop. He bitched and they sent him the right one and doubled his RAM as some have suggested. Do it.
April 8, 2006 5:48:04 PM

Quote:
Ixion is right about the 820 not being hyperthreading enabled. So you'll have 2 threads going with either processor. (both the 630 & 820 will show 2 cpu charts in task manager in case you check) However, I think of hyperthreading as kind of a "poor man's" dual core so you should definetly get what you paid for. I've heard that since the Intel dual-cores communicate thru a shared FSB that the 630 might outperform the 820 on some games and such, but for the programs your using (photoshop etc.) the 820 is the way to go. A friend had the same thing happen with Dell when ordering a laptop. He bitched and they sent him the right one and doubled his RAM as some have suggested. Do it.

Thanks everyone!

This isn't just a case of getting what I paid for, but also, did I order the right processor to start with? From what you've all said, it sounds like I should definitely hold out for the dual-core that I originally ordered.

When I realized the error from the email confirmation, I called and emailed the sales rep in the small business department. She didn't respond, so I kept calling and eventually got her. She sounded surprised, and then tried to convince me that the P4 is just as fast and would be fine. I told her it's not a matter of speed, but which processor is best for my use of the system. She finally relented and told me to let her know when it arrives so it can be shipped back. If I'm here, I'm assuming I can just refuse the delivery. Worst case, it's on our business AMEX, and they're good about refuting charges.

But I'd sure like to hold our for more memory :wink:
April 8, 2006 5:49:43 PM

Hey you're right, good looking out. Got distracted by some customers in the shop, talking pooo.....Actually wanted to just answer the question about software benefits, but someone already posted on that.
But my advice on Negotiating tactics still stand up to the test.

Get VERY angry, but within the law. If they say you have to spend a cent more to correct their snafu RRRRRR......GET CRAZY.

Please let us know how it goes.

When more software gets written FOR mlti-cores your 820 will still be able to keep up, UNLIKE THE 630.
April 8, 2006 6:11:12 PM

that is complete bu11sh!t, get furious with them and then make them upgrade it to a 3.0GHz dual for causing so many problems for you. thats what i would do, thats is why i dont like buying from the large retailers because they will end up doing things like this to you and get you really pissed off. and in fact all of the dell monitors are shit, their response times are like 25ms and they are way overpriced, i found out how slow the were when i hooked up both a crt and the dell flatscreen to my computer i was like "wow what a piece of SH!T!!!!" and i didnt even buy the monitor. i have more recently decided that all name brand stuff is overpriced and crappy so i will never buy it again, accept shoes, i need good shoes.
April 8, 2006 6:19:20 PM

Quote:
so i will never buy it again, accept shoes, i need good shoes.

Amen to that lmfao.
Bitch at Dell, definately. You shouldn't pay for other people's mistakes.
April 8, 2006 6:20:52 PM

Return the Dell, and get someone to build you a computer with a dual core AMD Athlon 64.
April 8, 2006 6:58:02 PM

Dell and the likes predate on moronic and clueless buyers in order to boost their sales by pulling stunts like that.

Once in a while, someone with a functionnal brain realise that they got screwed, that person may manage to get free stuff only after spending countless frustrating hours dealing with "customer support" outsourced in 3rd world countries.

Thing is, there are so few willing to jump through those loops compared to the masses that get ripped off that those large retailers count those scams as pure profit.
April 8, 2006 7:10:25 PM

heres what u do, call dell up and say, i needed the PC urgent now im gonna have to wait atleast a week for it, get angry, ask for manager, tell manager that u wanna be rewarded for the employees retartedness, u want to upgrade the 2.8 dualcore to a 3.2 dual core and u want it shipped nextday air, u want DDR 667Mhz with an upgrade to ur Gfx too, just get an upgrade somewhere they will bend to ur needs and if not return it and make them pay the shippiung and order a dual core AMD from somewhere else
April 8, 2006 7:48:57 PM

Like they said.....go for the Dual !!!!!!
It's best that you found out now how bad they suck now instead of later. Like after you've had it a year and 2 minutes, it breaks down, you call, they say out of warranty, you say only 2 minutes, they say you'll have to pay to talk to Tech Support for an out of warranty product, you say...Bitch what........... ?
You get the idea.............
April 8, 2006 8:30:02 PM

Quote:

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Yes. Dual core will matter here. I would switch.
April 8, 2006 9:45:49 PM

get angry make a scene, make them give u upgrades and ship it overnight
April 8, 2006 10:17:19 PM

Quote:
If I'm here, I'm assuming I can just refuse the delivery.

I'm pretty sure that that is not a good idea. I used to record customer support calls at a Dell call center, and it was never recommended to refuse a delivery. You are supposed to accept the delivery and arrange for a proper return, or something to that effect. Call Dell and find out the correct course of action before you do something rash like refusing the delivery.
April 8, 2006 10:44:10 PM

Quote:

Now, if you are doing mostly Gaming, then Duckie dude is right Smile ...

You spelled my name wrong; it's Ducky, but I can forgive you for that ;) 

Just look at the THG CPU charts; the AMD pwns the Intel in pretty much every benchmark; not just gaming. Plus, they run cooler and use less power. I said it before, and I'll say it again: have someone build you one with an Athlon X2
April 8, 2006 10:50:32 PM

Quote:

Now, if you are doing mostly Gaming, then Duckie dude is right Smile ...

You spelled my name wrong; it's Ducky, but I can forgive you for that ;) 

Just look at the THG CPU charts; the AMD pwns the Intel in pretty much every benchmark; not just gaming. Plus, they run cooler and use less power. I said it before, and I'll say it again: have someone build you one with an Athlon X2 Instead of shoulda coulda woulda, respect Sophie's choice and help her with it (no offense to you, "angry_ducky,"). But anyway, yes you should tell them to give you an upgrade of a sort, in your case you should go for more memory, but a better VGA works too.
April 8, 2006 11:12:05 PM

I don't know why you are complaining about Dell monitors. They're really good. I'd definitely demand a 3.2 GHz dual core, and maybe a 256 mb Fire GL card to top it off.
April 9, 2006 12:20:59 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that that is not a good idea. I used to record customer support calls at a Dell call center, and it was never recommended to refuse a delivery. You are supposed to accept the delivery and arrange for a proper return, or something to that effect. Call Dell and find out the correct course of action before you do something rash like refusing the delivery.

Thanks to both of you for this tip - I was thinking it would be faster for everyone involved to refuse it, but obviously I'm wrong about that. The sales rep did tell me to call her when I receive the system, but I assumed she was putting me off. I'll make sure to accept delivery and go from there.

This system purchase was sudden because of a new long-term freelance job so I'm on limited time and limited budget. I'll put my big girl pants on and try to get some upgrades :wink:
April 9, 2006 12:23:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks to both of you for this tip - I was thinking it would be faster for everyone involved to refuse it, but obviously I'm wrong about that. The sales rep did tell me to call her when I receive the system, but I assumed she was putting me off. I'll make sure to accept delivery and go from there.

This system purchase was sudden because of a new long-term freelance job so I'm on limited time and limited budget. I'll put my big girl pants on and try to get some upgrades :wink: Heh! Good luck Sophie. :) 
April 9, 2006 12:31:56 AM

yes, as for everything to be upgraded and shipped overnight, best way to go. Be like: Now what am i gonna tell my client, im sorry Dell F*cked UP, you think shes gonna take that excuse? No."
April 9, 2006 12:59:53 AM

Quote:
yes, as for everything to be upgraded and shipped overnight, best way to go. Be like: Now what am i gonna tell my client, im sorry Dell F*cked UP, you think shes gonna take that excuse? No."
Amen to that.
April 9, 2006 1:32:18 AM

They will swap the part nothing more.
The D320 is slower in gaming and non-multitask ops.

I wound still go with Due-core myself
April 9, 2006 2:41:48 AM

Little Known Fact - Dell must accept new system returns for 30 days for any reason. Mail order consumer protection laws in Texas say so, and Dell is based in Texas. They don't like to because it is very expensive, wasted shipping, returned system that is hard to get rid of, etc, but they have to if you demand it. Products bought from a door-to-door salesman have a 7 day any reason return period as well. So if you're in Texas and those girl scout cookies just aren't doing it for ya...

Playing devil's advocate, the 3 Ghz will run today's single-threaded graphical design software faster than the dual core 2.8 if you're not doing anything else at the same time. When multitasking the dual will be faster, and in the far off future when all applications are multithreaded the dual will win.

Depending on how long your freelance job is, you might use it a week then send it back.

It might be more than 1-2 years for professional applications to become multithreaded as well. Back with the PPro multi-proc Intel workstations became 'affordable' and 'common', and companies like AutoDesk, Pro/E, etc. talked about how they were in the process of rewriting their sw to be multithreaded. Today different processes within those softwares are in different threads, but the workhorse tasks are still singlethreaded. I work at a large company with ~800 engineers who all have dual proc workstations and they only get real benefits from them when they are playing games or surfing the web while Pro/E is working...

As for Sid's comment about build/buy because sometimes Dell mis-ships, what makes you think newegg never ships the wrong thing?
April 9, 2006 3:11:09 AM

Quote:
They will swap the part nothing more.

wrong dell will ebdn to ur needs becasue then u can recommend them, also they kno if they dont bend then, they kno its one more person they have lost and that person can tell others dell sucks, so she will get the upgrades

also sophie, get that vid card upgraded cuz it'll prolly make ur work faster than a CPU upgrade, tell them now ur gonna have to do it doubly fast and that they better upgrade ur vid card to 256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 3450, and upgrade ur processor too while they are at it, give them some more client BS and if they dont, refund, buy AMD

edit: can i ask how much u spent?
April 9, 2006 3:16:39 AM

Quote:
As for Sid's comment about build/buy because sometimes Dell mis-ships, what makes you think newegg never ships the wrong thing?

Shipment errors do happen when dealing with any hardware retailer I also never hinted that newegg had a better track record in that regard.

The big difference is that Dell's business model is based on deceiving and misleading their customers through their agressive sales staff.

The average consumer will never notice that they got a 630 instead of an 820, after all, the OS will report two CPUs (HT) and they'll be told (and probably believe) that the 630 is a whole 200MHz faster and has twice the L2 cache.
April 9, 2006 3:20:51 AM

no, they cant do that cuz they'd get like half a million law suits, but if they do send a wrong item its usually a mistake, they ar ealready making 40%+ profit off ppl who buy it
April 9, 2006 3:46:34 AM

Quote:
no, they cant do that cuz they'd get like half a million law suits, but if they do send a wrong item its usually a mistake, they ar ealready making 40%+ profit off ppl who buy it

April 9, 2006 3:54:38 AM

... You know Dell is ripping you off by switching to the other CPU... I would go for the original Dual-core CPU instead of the one she ordered for you. That's how Dell gets all their money, ripping people off. :p 
April 9, 2006 3:57:11 AM

o thats awesome. you my friend have made my night.
April 9, 2006 4:13:11 AM

Quote:

wrong dell will ebdn to ur needs becasue then u can recommend them, also they kno if they dont bend then, they kno its one more person they have lost and that person can tell others dell sucks, so she will get the upgrades

also sophie, get that vid card upgraded cuz it'll prolly make ur work faster than a CPU upgrade, tell them now ur gonna have to do it doubly fast and that they better upgrade ur vid card to 256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 3450, and upgrade ur processor too while they are at it, give them some more client BS and if they dont, refund, buy AMD

EDIT: I forgot to include that there are 2 hard drives, each an 80GB SATA II, 7200RPM NCQ HardDrive w/ 8MB DataBurst Cache for RAID, C5 -All SATA Hard Drives, RAID1 for 2 Hard Drives

That would make a difference in the price as well.

I'm almost afraid to say, but if I'm overpaying I guess it's better to find out now, right :wink:

$1273 which is the CPU with the specs in my OP (no monitor, I have a 19" and while I'd love an even larger one, I just can't justify it right now), tax, no S/H. This is through the small business group.

Is this way too much for what I'm getting, compared to other companies that can get me a similar system fast?

There was no price difference between the two processors in question, although I guess the cost to them for the P4 could be less, so they'd make more profit.

When I placed the order, I emphasized the urgency of it because many of the configurations had delays for several weeks. When she said she was giving me the 3.00GHz processor because the system would ship faster, I was happy, and even more when it shipped the very next day. While I don't know that this was an intentional "mistake" on her part, I do agree with many of you that she probably figured I wouldn't know any better about the processors. And in a sense, I don't :wink: but that's why I came here for help!

I know what I ordered and why, just wasn't sure if I was ordering the right thing for me.

Anyway, you all have convinced me for sure to return the system, get what I originally ordered, and firmly request upgrades.
April 9, 2006 4:30:50 AM

Quote:

It's a D820, stupid. Due-core sounds like French.
April 9, 2006 5:02:55 AM

you can prolly get something better cheaper if u just ordered a system no vid card and bought a vid card off newegg
April 9, 2006 5:29:50 AM

Quote:

Essentially, when the system arrives hit CNT-ALT-DEL and select Perfromance tab -- check for two side by side graphs in the CPU Usage History box. If you have two graphs, then they replaced a dual core with a dual core, and going from 2.8 to 3.0 will be better in perform

Not true, anything with hyperthreading will show as two logical processors aswell.

Go dual core. Its future proof! :-)
April 9, 2006 5:49:07 AM

Quote:

I'm almost afraid to say, but if I'm overpaying I guess it's better to find out now, right :wink:

$1273 which is the CPU with the specs in my OP (no monitor, I have a 19" and while I'd love an even larger one, I just can't justify it right now), tax, no S/H. This is through the small business group.

Is this way too much for what I'm getting, compared to other companies that can get me a similar system fast?

There was no price difference between the two processors in question, although I guess the cost to them for the P4 could be less, so they'd make more profit.

When I placed the order, I emphasized the urgency of it because many of the configurations had delays for several weeks. When she said she was giving me the 3.00GHz processor because the system would ship faster, I was happy, and even more when it shipped the very next day. While I don't know that this was an intentional "mistake" on her part, I do agree with many of you that she probably figured I wouldn't know any better about the processors. And in a sense, I don't :wink: but that's why I came here for help!

I know what I ordered and why, just wasn't sure if I was ordering the right thing for me.

Anyway, you all have convinced me for sure to return the system, get what I originally ordered, and firmly request upgrades.

I think you are getting ripped for the price, I have alot of expierience in the retail world of computers and it just sounds like you got stuck on the bad end of a mix-up.

In fact, I work at BestBuy(please don't rant anti-BBY-ness, its just a job and gets me my money, non-commissioned i might add) I could reccomend a couple of pre-built AMD x2 systems for you. Here are some links, add a graphics card from NewEgg.com (and if you aren't comfortable installing it you can have GeekSquad do it for $39.00) Much better performance for the
price in my humble opinion.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7740055&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat73200050029&id=1140392808500

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7740073&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat73200050029&id=1140392808560

Whats nice is that they are a BTX design (good cooling) some have tv tuners (awesomeness) and you can get a good graphics card here
you could easily keep it under $1300
(Don't buy the graphics cards from Best Buy however, because most have unacceptable markups making them more expensive, CPU's however have very little markup)

If you'd rather stick with what you have spec wise, maybe take a look at another retailer. BestBuy stores also carry those models in-store, so no shipping or waiting needed.

-Dave

P.S.
BTW Jack recheck your logic dude the P4 with HT will show up with two cores under ctrl+alt+del as well, thats what HT is having two virtual cores instead of having an actual dual core chip. Intel explains
http://www.intel.com/business/bss/products/server/dual-core.htm?ppc_cid=ggl|dualcor_b2b|k3670|s
April 9, 2006 6:38:24 AM

Those two systems that you linked are resoneably priced, very close to what a DIY system would cost.

Would definetly blow that "not quite a Dual Core 'cause we screwed you over" Dell crap out of the water performance wise.

Thanks for digging those systems out of the woodwork, I did'nt knew that Gateway had such a good lineup of AMD based boxes !
April 9, 2006 6:52:59 AM

Quote:

Hey that's not an "uprade", its a complete DOWNGRADE. Send it back and get the dual core put in. Besides, the chip you were supposed to get is worth about $40 more than the 630... con artists..
April 9, 2006 2:36:51 PM

actually, if she can get a dual core amd system w/o a vid card for around 800 bucks she'd be set cuz then she cna order a workstation gfx card or a 7900GTX for 400=500 more and get a system around $1300 that woudl be better
April 9, 2006 3:19:52 PM

Quote:

Essentially, when the system arrives hit CNT-ALT-DEL and select Perfromance tab -- check for two side by side graphs in the CPU Usage History box. If you have two graphs, then they replaced a dual core with a dual core, and going from 2.8 to 3.0 will be better in perform

Not true, anything with hyperthreading will show as two logical processors aswell.

Go dual core. Its future proof! :-) That is of course if you ENABLE Hyperthreading, the factory default setting for any Dell is for it to be off. Then to graph the two LOGICAL processors, you must go to the VIEW option, down to CPU history then select One Graph Per CPU.
April 9, 2006 6:08:42 PM

Quote:

Hello!

I'm also a designer (free-lancer) and here's what (concerning the hardware):

- Go with a dual-core, definitely;

- If you don't do 3D, go with (just below top) 256MB PCIe graphics card;

- No need to go beyond 2GB RAM; and go with non-ECC: it's faster;

- Go with the fastest disks you can afford! (either 10K rpm and/or 16MB buffer);

- Do not forget backup storage! :wink:

Hope this helps and... good luck with your work!

Cheers!
April 9, 2006 7:38:46 PM

Quote:

Go dual core. Its future proof! :-)

Actually you guys are right, completely slipped my mind that HT is a virtual dual core in windows .... thanks for correcting.

Lol, It's better to go with Dual-core instead of having the Processer think it's got 2. I'd love to see Dual-core processers with HT on each core. That would rock a$$. loll you'd have 2 Prescotts
yeah i would buy that. Lol dual-heating system, instead of just one processer to think it has 2 heaters.
April 9, 2006 7:57:35 PM

Three unrelated quotes, three pointless lines and three useless Lol's...

Next time that you feel an irrepressible urge to type such nonsense, ask yourself if you are contributing anything relevant, might as well just post "+1".
April 9, 2006 8:07:10 PM

Quote:

Hello!

I'm also a designer (free-lancer) and here's what (concerning the hardware):

- Go with a dual-core, definitely;

- If you don't do 3D, go with (just below top) 256MB PCIe graphics card;

- No need to go beyond 2GB RAM; and go with non-ECC: it's faster;

- Go with the fastest disks you can afford! (either 10K rpm and/or 16MB buffer);

- Do not forget backup storage! :wink:

Hope this helps and... good luck with your work!

Cheers!

if u want a really fast HDD so to say this is faster than 10k RPM HDD

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=10&id...

4 GB of a really danm fast HDD, load photoshop etc on theree load in a jiffy, but at a price, the card is ~$125 and 4 GB of RAM is like 200 bucks u can get cheap kind, kingston value
April 9, 2006 9:05:51 PM

You own CS2 but you're still using Quark? Why not use Indesign?
!