Next Computer

DrOpKiCkEr

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
First off I am coming from a Pentium 4 1.6ghz, GeForce 2 64 mb video card machine...

I haven't decided if I am going to build my next rig or purchase from a company (Alienware, etc).

What I am curious is, about the processor. It seems the performance of the Athlon X2s is similar across the board...I had all but decided on the FX60, when I noticed the 4800+ is close in performance and and a great deal cheaper. So would a system like this be a good long lasting (that's relative) gaming system:

AMD Athlon X2 4800+
ATI Radeon x1900xtx 512 mb
150 GB 10,000 rpm SATA raptor HD
250 GB storage drive
650 Watt power supply
Other components are up in the air right now, but that seems to be the heart of the system, I will decide on a mb once I make a final decision on processor. I don't care if it is Intel or AMD, I just want a good performer that won't really need to be updated for awhile processor wise, video cards are another story.

Any suggestions...thanks!!!

DrOpKiCkEr

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
First off I am coming from a Pentium 4 1.6ghz, GeForce 2 64 mb video card machine...

I haven't decided if I am going to build my next rig or purchase from a company (Alienware, etc).

What I am curious is, about the processor. It seems the performance of the Athlon X2s is similar across the board...I had all but decided on the FX60, when I noticed the 4800+ is close in performance and and a great deal cheaper. So would a system like this be a good long lasting (that's relative) gaming system:

AMD Athlon X2 4800+
250 GB storage drive
650 Watt power supply
Other components are up in the air right now, but that seems to be the heart of the system, I will decide on a mb once I make a final decision on processor. I don't care if it is Intel or AMD, I just want a good performer that won't really need to be updated for awhile processor wise, video cards are another story.

DrOpKiCkEr

Dude, that system would ROCK! That's to say the least. I'm glad to see at least your open to either Intel or AMD as I am.

If your not going to overclock, ASUS makes a nice stable board. DFI is very good and stable too but are more suited for overclocking environments.

The other thing to consider if budget comes into play at all, Intel is slashing prices on thier processors this month. I don't think AMD will cut their prices at all. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, with those choices you made, your definately on the right track.

DrOpKiCkEr

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
Yea, i am not really interested in overclocking it...I had pretty much decided ASUS would be the board of choice, lots of good reviews, but I will definately look into the DFI as well.

In addition I think I will go ahead and get 2gigs of Ram using 2 1gigs.

I have used both AMDs and Intels, both have their goods and their bads. I have thought about waiting for Conroe benchmarks, but by the time the processor is released and then I wait for all the problems to be cleared, I would be waiting on the next great processor, so I am going to do something in the next week or so.

Thanks for your reply.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Nice system. You should go with an Asus mobo, I have a few and they all work pretty darn good, but remember I'm only one person and could have lucked out on getting good boards, check the reviews and do research. A bad board can easily fry components, so don't skimp. Also don't get a cheap no name pwer supply, Antec, Enermax, ThermalTake and Silver Stone just to name a few. Also in regards to either buying from a company, or building it yourself, you should build it yourself. you'll get gratification, experience, and it'll a hell of a lot cheaper. I suggest for a case the Tsunami or something along those lines. Have a good time, and good luck to you sir.

DrOpKiCkEr

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
Thanks, I am leaning toward the Asus and it seems most have only gotten good reviews...and I am definately going to get a good power supply, I have used Enermax before and have always liked them.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Thanks, I am leaning toward the Asus and it seems most have only gotten good reviews...and I am definately going to get a good power supply, I have used Enermax before and have always liked them.
Good man.

DrOpKiCkEr

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
That was one of the reasons I was not going to get an FX60 b/c it wasn't much better than the 4800+, but this is interesting, if I am not interested in OCing would there be any advantage to this chip if I don't oc...the price is nice though.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
yah get intrested in OCing cuz u can OC this more than 200Mhz stock cooling, and u save a hundred bucks, totally worth getting intrested

pat

Expert

I would go with Asus A8R32-MVP. The ATI chipset is fast, and cool. Much more cooler than nforce4 chipset. It doesn't requiere any fan on the chipset.

The HDD subsystem is way faster than nforce too. Maybe use a bit more CPU%, but having a dual core negate all that.

And this board OC very well too, in case you want to have a try. Check out review for this board on the web.

bilbo3660

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
That was one of the reasons I was not going to get an FX60 b/c it wasn't much better than the 4800+, but this is interesting, if I am not interested in OCing would there be any advantage to this chip if I don't oc...the price is nice though.

If you are not going to overclock then stay with the x2 4800+ because it is faster than the opty 175. If you are going to overclock then get the opty 165 as it is a great overclocker that will get you to FX60 speed.

linux_0

Splendid

AMD Athlon X2 4800+
250 GB storage drive
650 Watt power supply

DrOpKiCkEr

That is a really good config :-D

Options:

0. build yourself

1. have me build it @COST + pizza ;-) :-D

2. have a company build it can add 30-100% to the price.

To be perfectly honest 0 is the best option if you're into that sort of thing. 1 is the 2nd best option but I'm biased :-D

Comments:

150 Raptor CHECK

250 Storage CHECK ( WD2500KS )

650W PSU CHECK as long as it is an Antec, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, Silverstone, etc Get the best PSU you can afford.

CPU The 4800 is GREAT but even a 3200+ would work for now until prices come down following the AM2 launch. The X2 4400 and Opteron 165/170/175 are great too!

As far as the chipset goes, there is no comparison, the nForce4 is the best platform

VGA wise I would suggest either an X1900XT or 7900GT both are very good the XTX and GTX are mostly overkill... besides you can easily upgrade later.

Motherboard... if you want stability and performance at stock get an ASUS ( nF4 / nF4 Ultra / nF4 SLI ) or EPOX ( nF4 / nF4 Ultra / nF4 SLI ). If you want to OC ( which you don't ) get a DFI (Lanparty UT nF4).

RAM... I'd recommend a dual channel kit of Corsair XMS, OCZ or Crucial.

As far as the CASE goes, get anything you like as long as it has 2 120mm fans. Antec, Silverstone, Cooler Master, Lian-Li all make great cases.

Sound... I would suggest an SB Audigy 2 or better, you don't have to spend a fortune.

OS: Linux x86_64 + XP Pro 32 + XP Pro 64... Linux x86_64 is 25-75% faster in 64bit mode on AMD64 CPUs so it's very nice... You will need XP Pro 32 for games and XP Pro 64 if you want to play with 64bit stuff... XP 64 is a bit faster but there is a lot of stuff which doesn't work (drivers, software, etc).

Good luck! :-D

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
If your not going to overclock the 4800+ would be the way to go. In real world gaming and what not there is no real difference between the 4800+ and the FX-60. For the difference in price you're way better off spending your money elsewhere.

DrOpKiCkEr

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
Thanks for the reply linux_0...i have built a really, really simple system a couple of years ago, so I think that is what I am going to try to do. I wanted to make sure that I was on the right as far as the 4800+ and the FX60 go. Definately am going XP pro, but may dual boot down the road as I am doing that now with Mandriva 10.

Thanks for everyones replies so far, I think I am going to start ordering parts today :D

You could get an ABIT board with passive chipset cooling, called Silent OTES. I have a KN8-SLi with the passive cooling and it has been a very good board for the month I have had it. It is also very reasonably-priced at $110. It has a very in-depth BIOS, but I don't overclock so I have not tried the overclocking options.

I would recommend an nF4 board over ATI for Linux as ATI has historically had poor Linux support (that might have changed very recently) and NVIDIA has had very good support. Their chipset has been spot-on, as has the old Intel 845MP that my laptop had in it. I have also seen older VIA chipsets do okay as well (K7T266, -333, -400.)