LPT/USB vs "real net-printer" for network printing?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hi,

my main question is whether it is best to buy an LPT/USB printer (e.g.
HP1320) or a "real network printer" (e.g. HP 1320n) for network printing?

Please note that it is meant for printing primarily from Windows
clients, but that I need to do accounting.

Currently, on our collegium, we have an old HP 6P printer connected to
the LPT port on an old freebsd unix machine running the IFHP system for
printing/accounting. It is shared for network printing through Samba
(\\s-name\p-name). The printer does not suffer from heavy load (max 5
small print jobs per day).

I want to buy a new printer and have looked at the HP 1320. When the
printer is going to be installed just next to the server (LPT-cable
length), is there any need for- or any advantage of buying the more
expensive version with built in networking, compared to the cheaper
LPT/USB version?

Regarding the printing software, I am re-installing the server with
Debian linux anyway, and I am therefore interested in trying new setups
like CUPS and foomatic, etc. (I need to do accounting!)

With regard to making drivers (for WinXP) available for it on the
network, is there any difference in the two options?

The server which the current printer is connected to is a Dual CPU,
300Mhz 128MB box, but it is expected to be replaced with a more powerful
one in near future. (in case it should influence your advice)

I have looked at linuxprinting.org but didn't seem to find an answer there.

Hope you can answer my LPT vs NET question.

Regards
Thorbjørn
Denmark

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Thorbjørn Højgaard Olesen" <tho@FJERNDETTE.person.dk> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> my main question is whether it is best to buy an LPT/USB printer (e.g.
> HP1320) or a "real network printer" (e.g. HP 1320n) for network printing?

What is wrong with the 6P?
Perfect printer, one of the most versatile printers made by HP.

The plain 1320 looks fine to me.
No need for a network-printer.
The USB on the 1320 is USB2 and the parallel port is hi-speed too.
If you insist, I expect you can upgrade the printer yourself afterwards.
I just bought an internal JetDirect adapter for my HP 2500 printer via
E-Bay, a lot cheaper than buying the 2500n.
If money is no issue, than go for a networked printer.
There's also Bluetooth and Infrared for this printer.

OB

OomBas wrote:
> What is wrong with the 6P?
> Perfect printer, one of the most versatile printers made by HP.

It often stalls when printing advanced PDFs and is kind of worn out.
Don't know if the stalling issue is because it is spooled through the
freebsd server.

> The plain 1320 looks fine to me.
> No need for a network-printer.
> The USB on the 1320 is USB2 and the parallel port is hi-speed too.
> If you insist, I expect you can upgrade the printer yourself afterwards.
> I just bought an internal JetDirect adapter for my HP 2500 printer via
> E-Bay, a lot cheaper than buying the 2500n.
> If money is no issue, than go for a networked printer.

When I need to do accounting and limit access for unauthorized users,
then I have to loop it through the server... and if the printer is on
the network, then I need to put it on a separate subnet or simply only
allow print jobs from the server's IP. Isn't that correct?

I have an old external JetDirect adapter (don't know which version), so
I could also use that, if network should happen to be needed. I just
wonder if the built-in printserver won't be more effective (faster).

Another general question: Which is fastest, hi-speed LPT or 100mbit
network? (last option I assume)

\Thorbjørn

TRENDING THREADS