Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Motherboard bios

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 8, 2006 4:09:04 PM

I have a "sy-kt600 Dragon Plus v2.0 motherboard that the bios has been so corrupted that it basically no longer exists. When powered up there isn't even any P.O.S.T.. And yes, I have checked the power supply and tried it on a brand new 500 watt supply. I have also changed processors to check if that might be the problem. When the power is turned on all that happens is the fans come on and nothing more. No lights. No beeps. No video output of any kind. Nothing.

I can't flash my bios because you have to have the system to pass the P.O.S.T. test and recognize the hardware first. Since it can't "see" the floppy drive I can't use the floppy to boot from and flash the bios. Some motherboards have a jumper on the board just for this issue. When jumped it will cause the floppy to be recognized and able to boot from even though the regular bios may be completely gone. This way you can "recover" a lost bios by re-flashing it.

My question is this: Does the kt-600 Dragon Plus v2.0 have that jumper to enable bios recovery or is it one of those that you have to go "buy" another bios for it? Personally I don't think it is worth the money to purchase another bios. I can buy another motherboard for the price.

More about : motherboard bios

April 8, 2006 4:21:08 PM

Why would a BIOS cost more than a motherboard??? I'm assuming your board is Soyo from the model number, can you not just check their website for the manual?
April 8, 2006 4:23:59 PM

Have you tried replacing the cmos battery?
Related resources
April 8, 2006 6:55:07 PM

Quote:
Why would a BIOS cost more than a motherboard??? I'm assuming your board is Soyo from the model number, can you not just check their website for the manual?

I have a manual but it doens't show if there is a jumper for emergency bios flashing. And yes, most replacement bios is around $50 and I can get another motherboard for that.

Quote:
Have you tried replacing the cmos battery?

No. I have pulled the battery and checked the voltage output on it. It is a 3v battery and when I check it with a dvm I read 3 volts. Besides that, the motherboad isn't that old. I have an old K-6 that is many years old and is still running the same battery in the bios. But, yes, I did check the cmos battery.
April 8, 2006 7:18:45 PM

When you pulled out the cmos battery - you reset the bios to default. Your MB is dead. It might be under warranty, but that is a long wait. Best bet is a new MB - new BIOS might not fix the problem anyway as this may be a chipset failure.
April 8, 2006 7:29:40 PM

Quote:
I have a "sy-kt600 Dragon Plus v2.0 motherboard that the bios has been so corrupted that it basically no longer exists. When powered up there isn't even any P.O.S.T.. And yes, I have checked the power supply and tried it on a brand new 500 watt supply. I have also changed processors to check if that might be the problem. When the power is turned on all that happens is the fans come on and nothing more. No lights. No beeps. No video output of any kind. Nothing.

I can't flash my bios because you have to have the system to pass the P.O.S.T. test and recognize the hardware first. Since it can't "see" the floppy drive I can't use the floppy to boot from and flash the bios. Some motherboards have a jumper on the board just for this issue. When jumped it will cause the floppy to be recognized and able to boot from even though the regular bios may be completely gone. This way you can "recover" a lost bios by re-flashing it.

My question is this: Does the kt-600 Dragon Plus v2.0 have that jumper to enable bios recovery or is it one of those that you have to go "buy" another bios for it? Personally I don't think it is worth the money to purchase another bios. I can buy another motherboard for the price.

Does your motherboard have a 4-pin power connector? Do you have the 4-pin power connector - connected?
:wink:
April 8, 2006 8:24:18 PM

Quote:
Does your motherboard have a 4-pin power connector? Do you have the 4-pin power connector - connected? Wink

No. It is AMD and I gave the wrong mobo in the original post. That was the replacement motherboard. The original mobo (the one I am trying to fix) is a kt-400-anb. My apologies. 1.2 mhz AMD Athlon. There is no 4-wire (pentium styel) connector on it as there is on the kt600 Dragon.

Quote:
When you pulled out the cmos battery - you reset the bios to default. Your MB is dead. It might be under warranty, but that is a long wait. Best bet is a new MB - new BIOS might not fix the problem anyway as this may be a chipset failure.

When I pulled out the battery the cmos was already not working at all. Setting it to default would be a GOOD thing if it would do that. The computer was working fine then just went dead. Upon reboot there was no p.o.s.t. so I knew the bios (cmos) wasn't working. I have ran motherboards without batteries before so I knew it probably wasn't the cmos chip giving the problem. It is the bios chip that stores the main hardware config for the mobo. Ususally the cmos just stores the "settings". The bios holds the code. This has a removeable bios chip but I would like to know if this board allows the "emergency bios flash recovery" mode using a jumper setting. I know all boards do not support this.
April 8, 2006 8:49:34 PM

Quote:
Does your motherboard have a 4-pin power connector? Do you have the 4-pin power connector - connected? Wink

No. It is AMD and I gave the wrong mobo in the original post. That was the replacement motherboard. The original mobo (the one I am trying to fix) is a kt-400-anb. My apologies. 1.2 mhz AMD Athlon. There is no 4-wire (pentium styel) connector on it as there is on the kt600 Dragon.

Quote:
When you pulled out the cmos battery - you reset the bios to default. Your MB is dead. It might be under warranty, but that is a long wait. Best bet is a new MB - new BIOS might not fix the problem anyway as this may be a chipset failure.

When I pulled out the battery the cmos was already not working at all. Setting it to default would be a GOOD thing if it would do that. The computer was working fine then just went dead. Upon reboot there was no p.o.s.t. so I knew the bios (cmos) wasn't working. I have ran motherboards without batteries before so I knew it probably wasn't the cmos chip giving the problem. It is the bios chip that stores the main hardware config for the mobo. Ususally the cmos just stores the "settings". The bios holds the code. This has a removeable bios chip but I would like to know if this board allows the "emergency bios flash recovery" mode using a jumper setting. I know all boards do not support this.
Your Motherboard must be dead.
:wink:
April 8, 2006 8:51:13 PM

Quote:
When you pulled out the cmos battery - you reset the bios to default. Your MB is dead. It might be under warranty, but that is a long wait. Best bet is a new MB - new BIOS might not fix the problem anyway as this may be a chipset failure.



8O :roll: :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 


ROTFLOL... damn. removing a battery don't kill motherboard! It simply reset BIOS to default configuration!!
!