$699 Ultrabooks to be Available in Starting 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Seems that AMD is losing a publicity battle with their Ultrathin. What little of my friends that know about Ultrabook don't know anything about AMD's counter.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I'll certainly be getting one of the touch screen models which won't be anywhere near $700.
PSST.. Heads up.. we already have $700 models from Acer.

G

There will be plenty of decent ultrabooks for $700 next year. Intel will release Haswell in early Q2 and price of IvyBridge ultrabooks will drop significantly. They won't have the battery life of the Haswell versions, but they will still be significant portables for $700. Like everything, you just have to wait a little longer. By the time Intel comes out with Broadwell, ultrabook will be the standard as there will be so much thermal headrom in those portables that there will be no need for 35W chips anymore.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Seems that AMD is losing a publicity battle with their Ultrathin. What little of my friends that know about Ultrabook don't know anything about AMD's counter.[/citation]

WHAT!? AMD has their own "Ultrabook" type laptops?!?! Thank you for the heads up!

I just want a laptop with 1920x1080 display and integrated GPU that is a quad core with 8GB of RAM. I don't care about a hard drive, I'm just going to slap in a Samsung 830/840 anyway! I'm not going to game, just want a laptop that can do the basics like Libre Office and web browsing!

Is it to much to ask for and for it to be less than or ~$600?

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
meh......Lenovo's S400 Ultrabooks are already available at that pricepoint in my area.......
Bigger meh.......Why get an Ultrabook when the only advantage is that it's 1kg at most lighter

InvalidError

Titan
$200 tablets have touch-screens, LiPo battery with 8-10h runtime, screen resolution on par with $600 laptops, etc. Not missing a lot other than keyboard, HDD, kludgy x86-64 architecture and Windows to turn those into laptops equivalents. From an engineering point of view, I see very little that can justify paying more than $500 (or even $400) other than expected sales volume being too low to amortize design costs down that low.

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
When intel decides to drop the price of its CPUs and SSDs that's where the ultrabooks WILL be a huge success. Until then, it's an overrated gimmick (like macbooks).

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
InvalidError

Well, I suppose that depends on what you're going to be doing with them. Considering some of the hardware in the more expensive models, it's not to simply do what your everyday tablet performs, though there is always going to be somebody who buys it because it's shiny regardless of its specs.

Personally, I'd use one for gaming plus some development work. Somebody I used to work with wanted to get a MacBook Pro for development; this will just be a more powerful option for the price.

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Really, someone mentioned earlier, Where the hell is AMD now? Where are the ads introducing ultrabooks with trinity? Where are the news/previews? Every preview/news iread about a new ultrabook mentions ivy bridge... In my opinion, AMD can be more competitive in ultrabook market than they are in desktop. Trinity is a nice design and a perfect fit for an ultrabook but they are late and slow as always....

Menigmand

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
So now they are watering out their brand before it even got started?

"Hey mate, I just bought an ULTRABOOK!"

"What's that?"

"It's a laptop that's a little bit thinner than other laptops and costs twice as much"

"Oh, so you bought a laptop, why didn't you just say so?"

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]meh......Lenovo's S400 Ultrabooks are already available at that pricepoint in my area.......Bigger meh.......Why get an Ultrabook when the only advantage is that it's 1kg at most lighter[/citation]

Where did you get that? It doesn't seem like it's available off Lenovo website yet. I'm looking to replace s205 soon.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Seems that AMD is losing a publicity battle with their Ultrathin. What little of my friends that know about Ultrabook don't know anything about AMD's counter.[/citation]
Sleekbooks*. That kind of proves your point though, lol.

"fiberglass-reinforced plastic or metal-plastic hybrid chassis, slim HDDs or HDD/SSD hybrid drives, conventional batteries and non-touch screens,"
Basically what we always got at that price point...

yobobjm

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
The problem is an ultrabook doesn't feel that great unless you have a full on ssd, and selling $700 ultrabooks with hybrid drives at the most won't help. The fact is, for ultrabooks to truly succeed you need to make an i5 and ssd ultrabook around the $600-$800 market.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Trinity based Ultra("Thin")book please! Since there's not much room for a gpu I'll take the best APU available. Oh and in 720p of course, I want better game performance without having to worry about scaling when gaming on lower res.

G

If the ultrabook has 1 or 2 thunderbolt ports on it, then I am in the market for one, but no thunderbolt, NO SALE! There is some very nice expansion hardware on the way, but they require a thunderbolt capable laptop/ultrabook. I would be very happy to own an ultrabook that forgoes a SSD for a regular hard drive, just give me one or two thunderbolt ports on it! I really could live with a not so thin and light laptop, and I would be glad to pay $900-$1000 for a laptop, if I could order one with 2 thunderolt ports!

G

Yes, the story suggests that INTEL ultrabooks aren't selling, so the PR bot comments all turn on AMD not selling enough ultrabook-equivalents.

Back on topic, if Intel can't sell the form factor with their marketing + mighty coercion and bribery racket, what makes you think AMD can do it when Intel still pays OEMs not to launch AMD products? It's a product that nobody needs or apparently wants, so let's just throw it into the rubbish bin of failed Intel products shall we?

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]datrooof[/nom]Back on topic, if Intel can't sell the form factor with their marketing + mighty coercion and bribery racket, what makes you think AMD can do it when Intel still pays OEMs not to launch AMD products?[/citation]

It's all about proving it. Still, it doesn't cost too much to throw a few web adverts around - certainly cheaper than TV.

I'm not sure what that is about.

No one want to pay hundreds of dollars more for less efficient tech and lower graphic quality. It ain't that Intel has a bad product, they simply have waaaay out-of-line price points and a wacky price premium.

It's why *-book* prices have been stumbling down from initial proposals, and ultimately, they will have to compete with AMD *-thin* product at $500 to $750.

Unless that *Intel Inside* logo is worth $1,000.00+ to yah :)

Status
Not open for further replies.