Blood vessle away to burst

Rookie23

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Hello to my new forum buddies!

I have read too many forum threads to mention but I am still tearing out my hair with this one.

ANY help would be gratefully received.

It would appear that I am not alone in the field of RANDOM FREEZING. In my case my new gaming rig would freeze almost every time I would use it no matter if this was for a couple of hours or 10 minutes. The screen would effectively freeze, in more cases than not I would also get a high frequency pitch come out of the speakers and the mouse and keyboard became useless.

Absolutely no pattern to this - gaming, internet browsing or even idling.

My current rig

Case
CM Storm Scout

Motherboard
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

HDD
Maxtor STM3500418AS 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache

RAM
OCZ Platinum 4gb (2x2gb) ddr3 pc3 1333Mhz

PSU
Arctic Power 700W

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB 125w

GPU
ATI HD4770

O/S
Windows 7

MISC
Belkin Switch 2 for PC USB with Audio 2 Ports 1 Local User KVM Switch

Any testing programs that I tried seem inconclusive.

This all started November 2010

Eventually I plucked up the courage to update the BOIS (which was easier than I thought!) 23 January and had NO issues. Job done or so I thought.

2 and a half months later............................

It froze twice during internet browsing and today it froze again whilst typing this !!!!! I am so disillusioned, angry and generally p*ssed off with the whole thing that I want throw it out the window. That said I have spent too much money, effort and time to do such a rash thing.

Im sorry if I have posted this in the wrong area but this is all kind of new to me and to be honest I dont know where to turn to or even which componets/software to point the accusing finger at. Is this hardware or software related????

Given the expense of componets I am not really happy to go out and replace these especially as I cant even figure out where the problem is originating from.

If ANYONE could help, advise, suggest or even cure this really frustrating problem I would be ETERNALLY grateful.

Many thanks in advance

Have you configured the speed, timings and voltage for your memory in the bios or did you just leave it on auto?

Tell us what exact ram you have.

You can download cpu-z and give us a screenshot of the memory and SPD tabs in the program.

Rookie23

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Hi GeekApproved :)

WOW - Thank you so much for replying in such time. That in itself has given me a boost!!

Configuring speed, timings and voltage of memory in BIOS - Im afraid thats way outwith my knowledge never mind comfort zone!! This was just left on auto. However that said I read somewhere that I should adjust within BIOS power setting SUSPEND MODE from AUTO to S3.

In my laymans terms I believe that is something to do with the BIOS communicating with the O/S and Windows 7. So desperate to fix this problem that I have just done that.

Sorry to be so lame but how do I attach my screen print of cpu-z??

Many thanks again

Rookie23

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
SUCESS - WOW

unledep.png
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rookie23

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Hi again GeekApproved

I really am grateful for the replies, the time in which you have done so and the advise given. I cannot understate that enough - thank you again.

I have to admit that 7-7-7-20 and 10-10-10-20 is way over my head :( I mean WAY over. I take it that the memory should run at the stated 7-7-7-20?

Am I correct in saying that if I increase the voltage to 1.8v hopefully the timings will change to 7-7-7-20.

Im too goosed to be messing about with it tonight but as I'm on holiday I will adjust tommorrow.

Could I ask your opinion why this problem disappear for a couple of months then reappear with a vengence over the last couple of days?
Could I also ask why this would generate such a random and really frustrating problem as I would have thought that given the problem it would be a lot more consistant?

Again thank you so much for everything so far

I will keep you informed.

I can't say for sure that is what's wrong with your computer, but your memory settings are way off.

I've seen 2.1v ram that wouldn't even load windows at 1.8v. You have 1.8v ram and your running it at 1.5v, that could cause problems right there.

I would set the dimm voltage to 1.8v in the bios and reboot and repost your cpu-z memory tab. I'm guessing at the voltage they are loosening the timings to be able to run at that voltage.

Those numbers your talking about are the ram timings, specifically ram latency. The lower the Cas latency, the faster the memory is. Your memory is capable of Cas latency 7, but it's now running at Cas latency 10.

Rookie23

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Hello again GeekApproved

As per your instructions last night I have attempted to increase the dimm voltage to 1.5v

However even to my uneducated eye very little, if anything, has changed.

I have double checked the BIOS settings. As stated before this is way over me so it may be the fact I have overlooked something :(

To try and help under the BIOS that I have I took the following steps:-

Advanced options, Jumperfree configuration, Memory timing & voltage, Memory overvoltage. This was set at "Auto" I increased the voltage increments and noted that at 1.59v the display turned yellow. I continued to increase to the instructed 1.8v

However as per the attached screen shots nothing seems to have changed. Im guessing another setting or program may be over riding this ??? :??:

The other options within this section:-

Dram timing mode @ auto - Can be updated to manual. If manual selected a description states "400MHz - select the Dram frequency. If auto the Dram speeds will be based on spds.

Dram timing mode @ auto - Available options are auto, DCT0, DCT1 or both.

To be honest I dont know anything about this side of things so Im sorry if I have overlooked something that is basic.

Again my sincere thanks not only for your patience but help.

Are you sure you changed it to 1.8v? Cause at the beginning of your last post you said 1.5v.

Are you sure you saved the bios settings before you exited the bios?

If that doesn't work.

Your going to have to change the timings.

You will see this in the bios. Should be 10-10-10-20. Change to 8-8-8-20(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS), then set voltage to 1.65v.

Then save and exit bios and then see if the memory tab on cpu-z changed to 8-8-8-20.

Rookie23

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Hello again.

My apologies for any confusion.

The voltage is definately 1.8v. It is still showing as yellow within BIOS. I did save my settings. Why I typed 1.5v at the begining of my text I dont know. It should have read 1.8v

The problem is getting worse along with my mood :fou: :cry: Today alone it has frozen 3 times. Your replies continue to be the only light at the end of a very long tunnel. Thank you so much.

My ignorance continues to be a stumbiling block. I wont admit to the time that it took me to figure out how to change the values you instructed :eek: However I got there in the end.

To confirm do you want me to adjust to 7-7-7-10 at 1.8v as originally instructed or 8-8-8-20 at 1.65 as more recently advised above?

Sincere thanks again :)

8-8-8-20 at 1.65v. If your still crashing after that, I would return that ram for something else.

OCZ ram is crap and that is some very odd ram. It's actually the first time I've seen 1.8v ddr3-1333 OR a Cas 7. The website say's its capable of 1600mhz, but lets just try a conservative 1333/8-8-8-20/1.65v.

Rookie23

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Hello again GeekApproved

As usual I will start my post with my thanks that you have taken the interest and time to continue to reply to me.

Work patterns and family life have limited the time I have had to access my gaming rig. I am only getting round to checking emails now. However I am now in a position to carry out the instructions given and will let you know what happens.

I felt it important to explain the delay instead of you thinking I was rude and unappreciative of your help.

Will no doubt post soon.

Thanks again

Rookie23

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Hello GeekApproved.

Following on from my earlier post I can now confirm that I have carried out the instructions you gave me.

However I am still confused :(

According to CPU-Z all the readings are the same as they were previously. I double checked what I entered into the BIOS and I even checked them off a list I made myself so Im sure I didnt miss anything. The settings were saved but when I ran CPU-Z and compared them with the screen shots I listed previoulsy within this thread everything is the same :(

Is there an option within BIOS that I have not changed which in effect is over riding the manual entries that I have made? I apologise if that is a daft question but as previoulsy stated this is uncharted water.

Thanks for your time.

Rookie23

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Hi

Further to your last post you mentioned getting some normal RAM.

I have done a bit of homework on this and based on my limited knowledge and after speaking to some friends the "Crucial" manufacturer seemed to get good vibes.

So despite my limited knowledge figured on this:-

Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V

Not sure if you are UK based or not but the quick find code on eBuyers website is:- 177411

It seems to be compatible with my motherboard.

To be honest I just want to plug it in and job done. As you may have gathered not entirely comfortable tinkering around with timings and voltages simply because I dont know anything about it. I realise you have to start somewhere but as I dont plan on over clocking messing around in the BIOS has never been a comfort area for me.

As normal thank you for your time and I look forward to reading your opinion.

Rookie23

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Hello again

A quick question if i may.

Whilst at my pals the other night it was suggested that CPU-Z may not be fully compatible with my setup. Personally dont fully support this as it seems to accurately record all the hardware that is installed. That said though it was suggested that it may just record RAM timings and voltages through an electronic tag as opposed to actually measuring them. For example the way a shop scanner would scan your weekly groceries. As previously mentioned it just wont show an increased voltage as per my BIOS settings.

In your experience can you recommend another program?

As always sincere thanks for your time :) :hello: