Sign in with
Your question
Closed

DirectX 11 problems

Last response: in Windows 7
April 11, 2011 6:16:16 PM

Hi there,

I've had some directX problems when running Modern Warfare 2. I can't remember what the error code said specifically, yet it continued to show up, when the game kept crashing.

So as stupid as I am, I deleted the registry keys to directx, in hope of windows trying to reinstall directx itself. Which did not happen. And so now I cant play any games, or hear any sound.

DXwebsetup.exe won't let me install directx - it gives an error message saying I can look into dxerror.log. Yet the file is'nt there..

When trying to start up modern warfare 2, steam wants to install directx. Yet nothing happens. Can't install.

Anybody, what can I do to get directx working again?

Please help, thanks!

More about : directx problems

a c 228 $ Windows 7
April 11, 2011 7:18:28 PM

According to microsofts web site, you may have deleted an essential key in the registry which is why I always backup the portion of the registry I'm making changes to.

http://tinyurl.com/28swbzb

Here is what microsoft states: Note that the DirectX Runtime (Direct3D, DirectInput, DirectSound) is not part of this package as it is included as part of the Windows operating system, and therefore cannot be installed or uninstalled. Updating the DirectX Runtime is achieved by installing the latest Service Pack or obtaining a newer version of Windows

Depending on what you deleted, installing or reinstalling SP1 may fix your problem.
Score
April 12, 2011 8:06:52 PM

I tried to uninstall and then reinstall SP1. It did'nt work. I believe I have deleted every registry entry concerning directx..

What can I do? :( 
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 228 $ Windows 7
April 12, 2011 8:32:28 PM

Try a repair install of windows.
Score
April 13, 2011 5:10:39 AM

I can't reinstall windows using the setup cd, it gives me this message:
"Your current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade. "

Perhaps by uninstalling SP1 again and then reinstalling windows, and then installing SP1?! :) 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 13, 2011 5:23:57 AM

Backup any important data on your CD drive. Then perform a clean install which will wipe your drive.
Score
April 13, 2011 7:34:54 PM

The place in the registry editor you are referring to contains only these posts: default, command and dxsetup. no where is there a value containing the directx version..

Score
April 14, 2011 5:08:36 AM

so i uninstalled SP1, and then I was allowed to install Windows 7 as an upgrade from CD. It managed to install by 80% and then I got a bluescreen.. went so fast.. something with a rt.dll..?! PC rebooted itself and windows said upgrade failed.. it rolled back to the previous version..

Seems only option left now is to make a clean install! Dammit
Score
April 17, 2011 6:33:23 PM

dadiggle: I ran it.. yet the same error - "An internal system error occured. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your windows folder to determine problem".

Yet those two files are not on my HDD.

Clean install then?
Score

Best solution

a c 228 $ Windows 7
April 17, 2011 10:13:43 PM

Most likely. DirectX can be tricky as you have found out. Unless someone else has a suggestion, then clean install.
April 23, 2011 5:32:50 AM

Best answer selected by philipsan.
Score
April 23, 2011 5:33:14 AM

Did clean install. problem solved obviously. Thanks all.
Score
December 16, 2011 8:58:04 PM

Hi there philipsan I too deleted my directx registry
but you didny have to clean install. I just downloaded directx 9 and it worked perfectly
heres the link for directx 9: http://directx-sdk.en.softonic.com/download

hope it helped! :) 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 16, 2011 9:07:15 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!