Do I really need a PDA?

October 18, 2004 10:14:21 PM

Hi,

How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its features?

I ask because I'm on the verge of shelling out big bucks for a PDA, but am
doubtful as to whether it's going to end up on ebay in a matter of months.

I've just bought a bluetooth enabled mobile phone, so I thought a bluetooth
enabled PDA would be great, allowing me to use the phone to browse the web
and collect my emails.

Why? I've got an ADSL connection at home, so collecting emails and surfing
the web are a breeze.

Why pay more for GPRS packages from my cellular provider when I already pay
for an ADSL connection at home?

Yes, I could use the organiser features, but as I only sync my phone with
Outlook Express and not Outlook, you can see that I'm not a big diary man.

Any small reminders can be added to the organiser feature of my phone.

I can even collect my email using the email client built into my phone.

The HP h2210 looks attractive to me, especially as I'm a photographer and it
will accept my Compact Flash cards...but I'm only away from my desk and PC
for a working day at the most...got USB2 card reader there...why do I need
to view/transfer the pix I take to my handheld?

Yes, I've had a Handspring Visor before. Sold it on ebay. Maybe that's
because it was a low powered model and I didn't appreciate it...

Anyone else had these concerns but still purchased that PDA?

Si.

More about : pda

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 10:14:22 PM

"Si" <si@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its features?
>
> I ask because I'm on the verge of shelling out big bucks for a PDA, but am
> doubtful as to whether it's going to end up on ebay in a matter of months.
>
> I've just bought a bluetooth enabled mobile phone, so I thought a
bluetooth
> enabled PDA would be great, allowing me to use the phone to browse the web
> and collect my emails.
>
> Why? I've got an ADSL connection at home, so collecting emails and surfing
> the web are a breeze.
>
> Why pay more for GPRS packages from my cellular provider when I already
pay
> for an ADSL connection at home?
>
> Yes, I could use the organiser features, but as I only sync my phone with
> Outlook Express and not Outlook, you can see that I'm not a big diary man.
>
> Any small reminders can be added to the organiser feature of my phone.
>
> I can even collect my email using the email client built into my phone.
>
> The HP h2210 looks attractive to me, especially as I'm a photographer and
it
> will accept my Compact Flash cards...but I'm only away from my desk and PC
> for a working day at the most...got USB2 card reader there...why do I need
> to view/transfer the pix I take to my handheld?
>
> Yes, I've had a Handspring Visor before. Sold it on ebay. Maybe that's
> because it was a low powered model and I didn't appreciate it...
>
> Anyone else had these concerns but still purchased that PDA?
>
> Si.

I feel you, as I have same dilemma.
I just can't justify spending $400-600 for it.
It's cool gadget ,but...
I got Palm Zaire 21 and it's collecting dust.
My Nextel 830 has most of what I need. Rest of it I carry on 512Mb Flash
USB.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 10:14:23 PM

it all depends on you,
me... If I ever leave the house without my Ipaq I feel naked,
I listen to music, watch movies (yes.. full length movies ripped from my DVD
collection), read books, play games, I use the phone book, calendar,
calculator, microsoft money, carry my kids photos, word, excel, when close
to a wifi access point, check email, chat on messenger, occasionally browse
the web. I love it to sync my home calendar and my work calendar together.

my wife... carries it for weeks on end in her purse, without ever turning
it on.

"zibby" <sales@az-electronics.no spam.com> wrote in message

"Si" <si@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its features?
>
> I ask because I'm on the verge of shelling out big bucks for a PDA, but am
> doubtful as to whether it's going to end up on ebay in a matter of months.
>
> I've just bought a bluetooth enabled mobile phone, so I thought a
bluetooth
> enabled PDA would be great, allowing me to use the phone to browse the web
> and collect my emails.
>
> Why? I've got an ADSL connection at home, so collecting emails and surfing
> the web are a breeze.
>
> Why pay more for GPRS packages from my cellular provider when I already
pay
> for an ADSL connection at home?
>
> Yes, I could use the organiser features, but as I only sync my phone with
> Outlook Express and not Outlook, you can see that I'm not a big diary man.
>
> Any small reminders can be added to the organiser feature of my phone.
>
> I can even collect my email using the email client built into my phone.
>
> The HP h2210 looks attractive to me, especially as I'm a photographer and
it
> will accept my Compact Flash cards...but I'm only away from my desk and PC
> for a working day at the most...got USB2 card reader there...why do I need
> to view/transfer the pix I take to my handheld?
>
> Yes, I've had a Handspring Visor before. Sold it on ebay. Maybe that's
> because it was a low powered model and I didn't appreciate it...
>
> Anyone else had these concerns but still purchased that PDA?
>
> Si.

I feel you, as I have same dilemma.
I just can't justify spending $400-600 for it.
It's cool gadget ,but...
I got Palm Zaire 21 and it's collecting dust.
My Nextel 830 has most of what I need. Rest of it I carry on 512Mb Flash
USB.
Related resources
October 19, 2004 12:44:48 AM

Everyone's circumstances are different and if you have to ask this question
to a group of total strangers ... then you probably don't need one.

"Si" <si@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its features?
>
> I ask because I'm on the verge of shelling out big bucks for a PDA, but am
> doubtful as to whether it's going to end up on ebay in a matter of months.
>
> I've just bought a bluetooth enabled mobile phone, so I thought a
> bluetooth
> enabled PDA would be great, allowing me to use the phone to browse the web
> and collect my emails.
>
> Why? I've got an ADSL connection at home, so collecting emails and surfing
> the web are a breeze.
>
> Why pay more for GPRS packages from my cellular provider when I already
> pay
> for an ADSL connection at home?
>
> Yes, I could use the organiser features, but as I only sync my phone with
> Outlook Express and not Outlook, you can see that I'm not a big diary man.
>
> Any small reminders can be added to the organiser feature of my phone.
>
> I can even collect my email using the email client built into my phone.
>
> The HP h2210 looks attractive to me, especially as I'm a photographer and
> it
> will accept my Compact Flash cards...but I'm only away from my desk and PC
> for a working day at the most...got USB2 card reader there...why do I need
> to view/transfer the pix I take to my handheld?
>
> Yes, I've had a Handspring Visor before. Sold it on ebay. Maybe that's
> because it was a low powered model and I didn't appreciate it...
>
> Anyone else had these concerns but still purchased that PDA?
>
> Si.

October 19, 2004 1:15:18 AM

How do you rip and cram a movie onto it?

What s/ware and how big is the resultant file?

Si.

"KDE" <knott_me@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> it all depends on you,
> me... If I ever leave the house without my Ipaq I feel naked,
> I listen to music, watch movies (yes.. full length movies ripped from my
DVD
> collection), read books, play games, I use the phone book, calendar,
> calculator, microsoft money, carry my kids photos, word, excel, when close
> to a wifi access point, check email, chat on messenger, occasionally
browse
> the web. I love it to sync my home calendar and my work calendar together.
>
> my wife... carries it for weeks on end in her purse, without ever turning
> it on.
>

> "zibby" <sales@az-electronics.no spam.com> wrote in message
>
> "Si" <si@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its
features?

> > I ask because I'm on the verge of shelling out big bucks for a PDA, but
am
> > doubtful as to whether it's going to end up on ebay in a matter of
months.

> > I've just bought a bluetooth enabled mobile phone, so I thought a
> bluetooth
> > enabled PDA would be great, allowing me to use the phone to browse the
web
> > and collect my emails.
> >
> > Why? I've got an ADSL connection at home, so collecting emails and
surfing
> > the web are a breeze.
> >
> > Why pay more for GPRS packages from my cellular provider when I already
> pay
> > for an ADSL connection at home?
> >
> > Yes, I could use the organiser features, but as I only sync my phone
with
> > Outlook Express and not Outlook, you can see that I'm not a big diary
man.

> > Any small reminders can be added to the organiser feature of my phone.
> >
> > I can even collect my email using the email client built into my phone.
> >
> > The HP h2210 looks attractive to me, especially as I'm a photographer
and
> it
> > will accept my Compact Flash cards...but I'm only away from my desk and
PC
> > for a working day at the most...got USB2 card reader there...why do I
need
> > to view/transfer the pix I take to my handheld?
> >
> > Yes, I've had a Handspring Visor before. Sold it on ebay. Maybe that's
> > because it was a low powered model and I didn't appreciate it...
> >
> > Anyone else had these concerns but still purchased that PDA?
> >
> > Si.
> >

> I feel you, as I have same dilemma.
> I just can't justify spending $400-600 for it.
> It's cool gadget ,but...
> I got Palm Zaire 21 and it's collecting dust.
> My Nextel 830 has most of what I need. Rest of it I carry on 512Mb Flash
> USB.

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 1:33:48 AM

Si wrote:
> How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its features?

Not me!

Lets have a wee look...

Currently an iPAQ 2210 with 256Mb SD card and 2.2GB Microdrive, spare
battery.

Uses....

GPS Navigation via Tom Tom 3, full e-mail client with WebIS Mail 2, full
organiser with Pocket Informant, maps of London, Liverpool and my home
region for Pocket Streets, 24 different e-books for reading when on the
train, in a hotel room. Finding Nemo and The Matrix movies down converted to
DIVX to watch on the train, hotel rooms. Half meg of music (WMA) for
listening to. Pocket Internet Explorer to check on various websites via
Bluetooth to my mobile with GPRS. Various Word and Excel documents for work
and PacMan for when I'm not working! CF slot for examing pics from my
digital camera. If I want Wi-Fi, just plug in a CF card - other units have
it built in - not iPAQ2210 :-(

All in a form factor that fits in my pocket and means I don't have to take a
laptop!

No, can't think why I would need one ;-)

--
Tony Brookes

Chorley, UK

Sent using Virtual Access V6.0 build 12
on Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 build 2195
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 1:43:47 AM

Si wrote:
> How do you rip and cram a movie onto it?
>
> What s/ware and how big is the resultant file?

http://www.pocketmatrix.com/guides/dvd2divx/#ripping

this is a good guide....

Finding Nemo worked out at 200MB - easily fits on 256MB SD/CF card

Try it - it works.

DiVX player for WM2003 here...

http://www.wincesoft.de/PocketMVP_for_WM2003_v08r072703...

Regards,

--
Tony Brookes

Chorley, UK

Sent using Virtual Access V6.0 build 12
on Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 build 2195
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 5:16:10 AM

I know many people who've got a PDA just because their employer bought one,
or they just love gadgets. Some people use their Pocket PC for simple one
word calendar entries, which you could do with a simple phone too.

But I believe I have justified need for my PDA:

- I'm a lot out of office during work hours. I can read me my emails and
people don't have to wait my replies for days.

- I can write interviews, memos, notes and other stuff easier than with my
very bad hand writing. (I'm that generation who got the first PC when under
ten year-old.)

- I read news and press releases and I'm up to date when out of office.

- My colleagues reach me with MSN Messenger the same as way at the office.
My Pocket PC connects to MSN automatically when I'm online.

But because my employer pays my phone, PDA and GPRS bill, as well as my ADSL
line at home, they also expect me to be available almost all the time. This
is not a problem for as long as I like my job. ;-)

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/

Tero Lehto wrote:
> But I believe I have justified need for my PDA:

Oh, and I forgot maybe the most important one:

- My Pocket PC calendar is absolutely en essential tool. I have a lot of
calendar entries, which I don't remember without help. I usually write
driving instructions and other notes to each entry, so a simple phone
calendar isn't enough. And it's very easy to sync my Pocket PC with Outlook,
compared to 3rd party clients that you need with any random phone.

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/

Si wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its features?
>
> I ask because I'm on the verge of shelling out big bucks for a PDA, but am
> doubtful as to whether it's going to end up on ebay in a matter of months.
>
> I've just bought a bluetooth enabled mobile phone, so I thought a bluetooth
> enabled PDA would be great, allowing me to use the phone to browse the web
> and collect my emails.
>
> Why? I've got an ADSL connection at home, so collecting emails and surfing
> the web are a breeze.
>
> Why pay more for GPRS packages from my cellular provider when I already pay
> for an ADSL connection at home?
>
> Yes, I could use the organiser features, but as I only sync my phone with
> Outlook Express and not Outlook, you can see that I'm not a big diary man.
>
> Any small reminders can be added to the organiser feature of my phone.
>
> I can even collect my email using the email client built into my phone.
>
> The HP h2210 looks attractive to me, especially as I'm a photographer and it
> will accept my Compact Flash cards...but I'm only away from my desk and PC
> for a working day at the most...got USB2 card reader there...why do I need
> to view/transfer the pix I take to my handheld?

If you need to do all this stuff on the move, then its worth it. No
point getting a PDA if you have no need to edit photos/listen to
music/manage apointments/check email on the move. 2210 is a good buy if
you do, I use it every day for music to and from college, taking notes
while at college (got a HP keyboard for £40 to use with it), checking
email at work, and viewing photos I take with my camera.
You may find you can do some of these things with a phone, but if like
me you change phones every year a PDA is a good idea because many phones
can't sync with a PC (however newer ones can) so you lose all your data
(how many birthdays I have forgot due to that!). So if data security and
backups are important, go for a PDA.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

In article <cl0tah$e3a$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Si" <si@nospamforme.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its features?
>
>I ask because I'm on the verge of shelling out big bucks for a PDA, but am
>doubtful as to whether it's going to end up on ebay in a matter of months.

It will, if you don't know if you need one, then you don't. Put the money
in your 401K instead.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
October 19, 2004 10:52:42 PM

"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <cl0tah$e3a$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Si" <si@nospamforme.com>
wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its
features?

> >I ask because I'm on the verge of shelling out big bucks for a PDA, but
am
> >doubtful as to whether it's going to end up on ebay in a matter of
months.

> It will, if you don't know if you need one, then you don't. Put the money
> in your 401K instead.

401K?

Si.
October 20, 2004 12:26:45 PM

"Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
> Si wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its
>> features?
>>
>> I ask because I'm on the verge of shelling out big bucks for a PDA, but
>> am
>> doubtful as to whether it's going to end up on ebay in a matter of
>> months.
>>
>> I've just bought a bluetooth enabled mobile phone, so I thought a
>> bluetooth
>> enabled PDA would be great, allowing me to use the phone to browse the
>> web
>> and collect my emails.
>>
>> Why? I've got an ADSL connection at home, so collecting emails and
>> surfing
>> the web are a breeze.
>>
>> Why pay more for GPRS packages from my cellular provider when I already
>> pay
>> for an ADSL connection at home?
>>
>> Yes, I could use the organiser features, but as I only sync my phone with
>> Outlook Express and not Outlook, you can see that I'm not a big diary
>> man.
>>
>> Any small reminders can be added to the organiser feature of my phone.
>>
>> I can even collect my email using the email client built into my phone.
>>
>> The HP h2210 looks attractive to me, especially as I'm a photographer and
>> it
>> will accept my Compact Flash cards...but I'm only away from my desk and
>> PC
>> for a working day at the most...got USB2 card reader there...why do I
>> need
>> to view/transfer the pix I take to my handheld?

I've asked myself this many times..I have a Dell Axim 30 (high) and I
sometimes wonder if I need it at all. I like the ability to view Windows
Media files on the fly and show photos. I really don't need to keep up with
appointments but it is nice to be reminded at a glance. I guess I am one of
those "on the fence" PDA users. Ha-ha.
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 6:59:20 PM

"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <cl0tah$e3a$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Si" <si@nospamforme.com>
wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its
features?

> >I ask because I'm on the verge of shelling out big bucks for a PDA, but
am
> >doubtful as to whether it's going to end up on ebay in a matter of
months.

> It will, if you don't know if you need one, then you don't. Put the money
> in your 401K instead.

I think you "loose" less money buying PDA than "saving" with 401K
October 20, 2004 8:50:57 PM

In article <cl3k9a$h74$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Si" <si@nospamforme.com> wrote:

>"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> In article <cl0tah$e3a$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Si" <si@nospamforme.com>
>wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its
>features?
>> >
>> >I ask because I'm on the verge of shelling out big bucks for a PDA, but
>am
>> >doubtful as to whether it's going to end up on ebay in a matter of
>months.
>>
>> It will, if you don't know if you need one, then you don't. Put the money
>> in your 401K instead.
>>

>401K?
>
>Si.

Ah, didn't notice where you are posting from; your retirement fund.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
October 20, 2004 9:54:27 PM

> In article <cl3k9a$h74$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Si" <si@nospamforme.com>
wrote:

> >"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> In article <cl0tah$e3a$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Si"
<si@nospamforme.com>

> >features?

> >am
> >months.
> >>
> >> It will, if you don't know if you need one, then you don't. Put the
money
> >> in your 401K instead.
> >>

> >401K?
> >
> >Si.
> >

> Ah, didn't notice where you are posting from; your retirement fund.

Gotcha.
October 20, 2004 11:44:40 PM

Brian wrote:
> I've asked myself this many times..I have a Dell Axim 30 (high) and I
> sometimes wonder if I need it at all. I like the ability to view Windows
> Media files on the fly and show photos. I really don't need to keep up with
> appointments but it is nice to be reminded at a glance. I guess I am one of
> those "on the fence" PDA users. Ha-ha.

Yeah I was dumping my first gen iPod (can't have a gagdet that
"everybody" has can I now?) and thought a PDA had more potential when it
comes to playing around/configuing/geeky things like that.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
October 21, 2004 12:02:29 PM

> Brian wrote:
>> I've asked myself this many times..I have a Dell Axim 30 (high) and I
>> sometimes wonder if I need it at all. I like the ability to view Windows
>> Media files on the fly and show photos. I really don't need to keep up
>> with appointments but it is nice to be reminded at a glance. I guess I am
>> one of those "on the fence" PDA users. Ha-ha.
>>

> Yeah I was dumping my first gen iPod (can't have a gagdet that "everybody"
> has can I now?) and thought a PDA had more potential when it comes to
> playing around/configuing/geeky things like that.

Exactly! I like the geeky aspect of it but considering I am about to
propose, I could part with this PDA to put more money into a certain object
that sparkles. ;)
October 22, 2004 1:58:24 AM

Brian wrote:
> Exactly! I like the geeky aspect of it but considering I am about to
> propose, I could part with this PDA to put more money into a certain object
> that sparkles. ;)

Well, she might say no ;)  and if she says yes, you'll need a PDA to
organize a wedding ! good luck.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
October 22, 2004 2:11:39 AM

In article <1098392310.98247.0@iris.uk.clara.net>, Marc <see@signature.url> wrote:
>Brian wrote:
>> Exactly! I like the geeky aspect of it but considering I am about to
>> propose, I could part with this PDA to put more money into a certain object
>> that sparkles. ;)
>>

>Well, she might say no ;)  and if she says yes, you'll need a PDA to
>organize a wedding ! good luck.

And remember birthdays, and all sort of other occasions she thinks are
important and that you should remember out of hand. So add encryption to
that PDA's calendar

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 10:11:10 PM

funny, I was sitting in the hotub at the gym after racquetball, reading email
on my ipaq 4155 through the pet shop next door's open wireless network, the
I watched a dvd (LOTR: 2T) transformed via dvd2ppc and put on a 512 sd card,
when the guy next to me quiped "wow. I didn't know you could watch movies
on those. I just got a palm, and didn't know they could do that." I identified
my device and he said "yea, mine's an ipaq too. it looks just like that."
if you don't know what the (can) do or don't know what you need, don't buy
yet; investigate. I also use my to manage my schools network, my home network,
and with 3rd party software, organize gradebooks, lesson plans, and much more.
with wireless networks at both work & home, as well as free access hotspots
all over downtown, i'm online always. I ues my fujitsu p1120 subnotebook with
10hr battery, touchscreen, and backpack-able size only 1/3 as much as I used
to.
I loves my ppc. LOVES MY PPC!!!

nate

In message <cl3k9a$h74$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Si" <si@nospamforme.com> wrote:

"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <cl0tah$e3a$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Si" <si@nospamforme.com>
wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >How many ppl have purchased a PDA, only to use a fraction of its
features?

> >I ask because I'm on the verge of shelling out big bucks for a PDA, but
am
> >doubtful as to whether it's going to end up on ebay in a matter of
months.

> It will, if you don't know if you need one, then you don't. Put the money
> in your 401K instead.

401K?

Si.

iPAQ 4150- 512SD (1), 256SD (2)... HPC's & PDA's since the LG Phenom!
October 25, 2004 1:10:53 PM

> Brian wrote:
>> Exactly! I like the geeky aspect of it but considering I am about to
>> propose, I could part with this PDA to put more money into a certain
>> object that sparkles. ;)
>>

> Well, she might say no ;)  and if she says yes, you'll need a PDA to
> organize a wedding ! good luck.

She will say yes...but you are right, may need something to remind me of
wedding stuff...plus, $300.00 wont make much of a dent..I'll find other
things to sell on EBAY..;)
!