Everclearboy

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Among the many others just like them I am building a new machine .. here is what I am getting..

AMD FX-60
ASUS SLi Premium
Soundblaster Fatality
Corsair PC3500LLPRO 2GB
Thermaltake Blue Orb II
Seagate 300GB SATA 3.0 Gb/s ST3300622AS
ASUS 5232A4 CD-RW
ASUS 1608P3 DVD-RW
Ultra X-Connect 550W Power Supply
ASUS 256MB 7900GT Video Card
Sony Floppy Drive
Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Aspire X-Navigator PC Case

For Monitors I am considering the

Viewsonic 930B 19" LCD

or

ASUS PW191 19" Widescreen LCD

Any suugestions? Also anything I should know when I go to put this machien together I've heard various things about needing to update the BIOS with this particular board?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Among the many others just like them I am building a new machine .. here is what I am getting..

AMD FX-60
ASUS SLi Premium
Soundblaster Fatality
Corsair PC3500LLPRO 2GB
Thermaltake Blue Orb II
Seagate 300GB SATA 3.0 Gb/s ST3300622AS
ASUS 5232A4 CD-RW
ASUS 1608P3 DVD-RW
Ultra X-Connect 550W Power Supply
ASUS 256MB 7900GT Video Card
Sony Floppy Drive
Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Aspire X-Navigator PC Case

For Monitors I am considering the

Viewsonic 930B 19" LCD

or

ASUS PW191 19" Widescreen LCD

Any suugestions? Also anything I should know when I go to put this machien together I've heard various things about needing to update the BIOS with this particular board?

The FX-60 is the rip off of the year just like the Pettium 4 EE is. Instead get the Opteron 180 (save $300) and overclock it to FX-60 level.

Unless you plan on adding a second GPU within the next 90 days, SLI is not worth it, so you do not need that motherboard. Get the A8N-E instead and cut your cost down the $93. Consider the $122 DFI Lanparty Ultra D board for a better overclock and onboard firewire also. Be wary of the PSU, I have never heard of that brand. Consider going with the Antec Truepower II 550W for $90. Its great and ready for SLI if you choose that route.

Since I told you to overclock a little get Corsair XMS RAM (they currently have a nice rebate going on 2x 1GB PC3200).

You will love that system. Oh one last thing, DVD burners burn CDs so unless you want to do both or have a picky reader somewhere, you dont need a dedicated CD-RW.

Everclearboy

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I'm getting the FX-60 for about the same price the FX-57 is selling for.. I do not want to deal with OC'ing as to my understanding that voids the warranty.. I'd rather have a chip already at that speed without needing tweaking..

The Ultra X-Connect is featured on Xoxide and zipzoomfly, I like it's design and has a nice looking modular cable setup unlike some of the others I've seen.. I'm also trying to avoid compatibility issues by making most of the parts ASUS related

ddgnclg

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
I'm getting the FX-60 for about the same price the FX-57 is selling for.. I do not want to deal with OC'ing as to my understanding that voids the warranty.. I'd rather have a chip already at that speed without needing tweaking..

The Ultra X-Connect is featured on Xoxide and zipzoomfly, I like it's design and has a nice looking modular cable setup unlike some of the others I've seen.. I'm also trying to avoid compatibility issues by making most of the parts ASUS related

Wow where at a FX60 for the same price as a FX57?

PJ101

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Great rig, my only question would be why a 7900gt?? They are good cards don't get me wrong but if you are going top of the line (as you seem to be) a 7900gtx would be better. Of course the best of all would be a x1900xt. Oh and that FX60 will overclock very nicely. :D

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Great rig, my only question would be why a 7900gt?? They are good cards don't get me wrong but if you are going top of the line (as you seem to be) a 7900gtx would be better. Of course the best of all would be a x1900xt. Oh and that FX60 will overclock very nicely. :D

Correction: X1900XTX. I'd overclock the XT, but he wants to keep his warranties.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Looks like a nice rig, here's my 2 cents.
For my new rig, I'm also getting an ASUS DVD-rw, but instead of a cd/rw for my 2nd drive, I'm just getting a dvd-rom. That way I can burn dvd on the fly instead of having to go to HD first. The dvd burner will burn cds also. My burner will be secondary, and the dvd rom primary. Less wear on the burner, and the rom is cheaper to replace.
If you want to go LCD, you really want bigger than 19". You are getting a primo pc, and a 19" LCD won't get you the resolution a high end card will deliver. The effect is similar to going to a 5 star restaurant, ordering a $75 steak and putting A-1 sauce on it.
Good Luck

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If you want to go LCD, you really want bigger than 19". You are getting a primo pc, and a 19" LCD won't get you the resolution a high end card will deliver. The effect is similar to going to a 5 star restaurant, ordering a $75 steak and putting A-1 sauce on it.
Good Luck

Actually, 19" seems to be the sweet spot for LCD's. I like my 19" because it has 1280x1024 native resolution rather than 1600x1200. Especially with a crappy video card like my X600, it's great that I can play at the native resolution without having to turn down the details. And when it comes time to get a new video card, I won't need the top of the line because I'm not playing at a crazy-high resolution. And the fact that the 19's are so much cheaper than the 20's is just icing on the cake.