AMD Athlon 64 3700+ maximum temperature

RaptorZX3

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
i want to know the maximum temperature of my CPU:

-AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Socket 939 (San Diego) 2.2Ghz.

i mainly want to know so i could turn that 120mm 3-speed rear fan to "low speed" if 55-57 degrees (Celcius), when loaded, is not that much.

the fans i have on my computer (case is Antec Sonata 2):

-Antec SmartPower 2.0 450W (it have dual-fans)
-MSI Radeon X1300Pro 256mb (it have a fan + heat-sink)
-ThermalTake CL-P0200 (CPU fan +heat-sink)
-Antec 3-speed 120mm fan (fan set on medium speed).

actual approx. temperatures (from SpeedFan):
-idle: 43-45 degrees.
-loaded: 56-58 degrees.

i heard this CPU maximum temperature is 70-71 degrees, is that right?

so is it safe to turn that 120mm rear fan to "low speed"?

i want my computer to be more quiet, just to let you all know...

thanks for helping me! :)

MaximRecoil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
actual approx. temperatures (from SpeedFan):
That seems kind of hot for that CPU. I have that same CPU in a Chenming 601 case, with two 80 mm fans (one intake and one exhaust) and it idles at 22-24° C according to Asus Probe II.

RaptorZX3

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
geez 24 degrees? even my old Pentium 3 500Mhz wasn't that cold, it was always around 30-32 degrees.

i still want to know the maximum temperature of my CPU though. please.

RaptorZX3

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
well i won,t change my whole computer (case, fans, etc...) because i need to make it 50 degrees...

i'll try it out with the rear 120mm fan at low speed...to see what it'll do

65 degrees you say? on that Packard Bell website, they says this exact model (San Diego, Socket 939, etc...), the maximum temp. is 71 degrees. (but it shuts down at 69-70 i think)

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
That seems kind of hot for that CPU. I have that same CPU in a Chenming 601 case, with two 80 mm fans (one intake and one exhaust) and it idles at 22-24° C according to Asus Probe II.

I call BS on that, unless your room temperature is in the mid to low 10's (Celcius).

Beside, you know that A*al Probe is notorious for reporting ridiculous temperature readouts ?

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005

how COLD is your room?? more to the point what cooler are you using? i want one.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
...anything that could help me? is that 70 degrees the maximum temperature of my CPU?

Yes, but I doubt that you would reach that temp by running your CPU at its stock speed.

Then again, your load temp is high despite the cooling system you got, try reapplying the thermal compound and reseating the heatsink, I suspect that there is something wrong with the way it is mounted.

RaptorZX3

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
Yes, but I doubt that you would reach that temp by running your CPU at its stock speed.

Then again, your load temp is high despite the cooling system you got, try reapplying the thermal compound and reseating the heatsink, I suspect that there is something wrong with the way it is mounted.

i didn't...i bought the CPU-fan thing and the store installed it (since my computer is on a 3-years warranty). maybe i need to re-arrange the wires a bit inside the computer?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
If wires are in the way of airflow.. yes.

Doesn't hurt to organize all power cables, IDE/SATA cables with plasitc cable ties to tuck them out of the way.

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
A little off topic, but maybe you can clear this up. I've seen quite a few posts that bash the Asus Probe software for reporting wrong temps (not sure if version matters, i use probe II) I have a P4 that supposedly has an internal thermal diode that reports to the hardware monitoring chip on the MB. Anyways, according to Asus, the probe software gets its reading from this same chip. I use Everest, Speedfan, Asus Probe, and of course the bios to compare temps and they all say the same thing. I can open all 3 apps and they are all the same and they even change at about the same rate according to load.(Everest has a little lag b/c it polls the chip less). Am I missing something? I mean if the Probe doesn't read from the same monitoring chip, than where the hell does it read from? I kinda like the auto-execute feature and the graph interface of the Asus app, so why does it suck?

MaximRecoil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
That's the dumbest reply I've heard all day.
I thought that English was the native language of New Zealand. The posts I've seen from you are beginning to make me wonder.
You can not simply compare your own temperature against another mobo especially when it's an idle.
That seems kind of hot for that CPU.
Does the bolding help? (lol).

My post is not complex. First I state that the temperature seems kind of hot (you know, as opposed to an absolute statement), then I mention my own experience with that particular processor as one of the reasons that his temperatures seem hot. Of course, even without my experience with the same CPU...
...still seems hot for a 90 nm A64. My Athlon XP 1800 idled at 38-40° C in this same case.
[EDITED]The idle temperature would've obtained with Cool'n'Quite enabled too.
Not only do I not have the AMD driver for the "Cool n' Quiet" feature installed, but it is not enabled in the BIOS either, Kreskin.

BTW, the BIOS shows 26-28° C at idle (I think I've mentioned that before somewhere).

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
As it has been pointed out earlier, the sensors, monitoring chips and software are innacurate, you also need to understand that even the on-die diode is only relatively accurate, the monitoring chip can also skew the temp that will be reported to the software.

As for Asus Probe, it has a long history of being unreliable and not reporting the same temperature readings as other software.

bought the CPU-fan thing and the store installed it (since my computer is on a 3-years warranty).

You should consider getting them to reseat the heatsink properly, I suspect that they botched the job.

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Yeah, I realize that all software monitoring programs are inaccurate to some degree and probably only good for determining relative changes in temps. It just seems like Asus Probe gets a bad rap and I couldn't figure out why since I assumed all monitoring programs would read from the same place. Maybe the newest Asus update took care of the odd temp readings compared to other apps.

MaximRecoil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
I downloaded Speedfan v4.28 and it shows a steady 22° C at idle for the CPU. The strange thing that I noticed is that I have 3 HDDs all in the same cage with the front intake fan blowing over them, and SpeedFan is showing 2 of my HDDs at under 20° C, but the 3rd one is showing as above 40° C. I wonder if this is something to worry about:

speedfan.png

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
OK as you can see from the above posts, I am no expert when it comes to temp monitoring apps, but some of your readings seem out of line. Congrats if they're accurate but 22C for the cpu is normally only attainable with water cooling. That about 70F which is average room temp. That's awesome if your HS/F can keep it that low. Then there are your HDD temps. You say you have 3 HDD. What kind of RAID are you running? According to Speedfan your HDD is like 59F. Is your room freezing? I would think 59F might be accurate if the HDD was unplugged and still in the box you bought it in :lol: Then there are your fan speeds. Are your fans controlled by your MB according to temp. Not sure what size they are but I would think they would've slowed down a bit if your temps where correct. Maybe you've got fans blowing directly over some of you're sensors and that's confusing things a bit. My MB sensor changes quite alot compared to my other sensors depending on how high I set my intake fan speed. You might try downloading Everest and comparing the readings, although I would hope(according to my earlier posts) that it would read the same. How are your fans setup? I would love to get those temps. (the only time my cpu and MB were in the low 20'sC was when my heater broke in the dead of winter)

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Don't expect help after lashing out at a forum guru like wusy, you're on your own as far as I'm concerned.

You n00bs need to know your place.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
just a comparrison:

sonata2 case (with duct in place),2- 120 fans,370064 san diego,a8n-e mobo,zalman 7700 alcu cpu fan,9800 pro,2-200 g maxtor hd's on raid 0

about 20'celsius in room

initial startup on everest...30'c...15 min at idle...31'c.....after running 3dmark 05....38'c

just my setup in my environment!

RaptorZX3

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
i moved my computer too...it was on the desk beside the monitor, now it's in on the side of the desk in something we made (the old desk had plenty of room on the left side to put some stuff, with a door, we took off the desk table and we just keep the storage part to put the computer in it).

since i changed the heat-sink + fan for a better one, the temp. seem better, but the computer was on top of my desk. (i moved it beside my desk, to make it more quiet...)

MaximRecoil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
Throwing around pityfull insults and hollow threats won't accomplish much, if you don't like our tone, leave, we sure won't miss you...
You are confused. The "pitiful insults" are coming from the likes of you and the resident "forum guru", and as far as "hollow threats" go, well, what in the blue hell you talking about? Is English not your native language either? That is the most likely conclusion that can be drawn if you are seeing "threats", "hollow" or otherwise, in anything I have posted on this thread.

Please let be part of your little club. You wouldn't want me to lose sleep tonight would you?
18t.gif