Moving Win7 to a SSD

Neccta

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I'm buying a SSD and would like to put my OS on the drive. However is this possible? And how I only put the OS on the SSD and not all my files, games, etc.?

May I recommend that you search the forum for any of the excellent threads on this topic?

Some highlights:
■ Do a fresh install of Win7, instead of copying an existing one. When installing Win7 on the new SSD, disconnect all other HDDs from the system and set the SATA port to AHCI mode before nstalling.
■ Games will need to be re-installed. The advantage of an SSD for the OS is that things load faster, so let your games load faster! More seriously, it has been pointed out that most installation processes these days don't prompt to ask if you want a different install path, so you are stuck there.
■ Since you are doing a new install, your files will not be on the SSD. Magic!
■ And my usual pitch for Tecmo34's guide: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html . It's a good starting point.
■ Only use Win7, only use the controller in AHCI mode, do not RAID the SSD. Otherwise, the TRIM command will fail and your SSD will degrade.