Sign in with
Your question

Please HELP (dual core AMD problem)

Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2006 12:06:24 PM

Hi everybody,

my problem is that I just bought a new machine. While Oblivion is performing without a glitch I have problems with allmoust every other game. I believe its a problem with the processor support. Does anybody else have the same problem?

My specs:
AMD 4400+ X2
ASUS A8R32-MVP DELUXE
ATI X1900xt
KINGSTON 2GB CL3
MAXTOR SATA 300 GB

More about : dual core amd problem

April 9, 2006 1:06:08 PM

Before we can really help you out we need some more information on your system and the games you play. What kinds of problems are you having. Are you using the most recent updates for you games and VGA drivers? Obviously your rig would'nt have a problem of meeting requirements of these games but send some information on your rig...
April 9, 2006 1:32:10 PM

K here goes:

the manufacturer of my x1900xt is Club3D
Have the newest Catalyst drivers installed (6.3 I believe)
Running on Windows XP sp 2
updates up to date
have hotfix installed for dual core
Latest AMD driver installed
Recieved my mobo last week, dont have new drivers on it yet but ASUS dont seem to have anything to offer eather...
What more on the system do you want to know?

The problem I experience is:
in FarCry: texture corruptions, animations not playing properly etc..
in Half Life 2 cstrike, game periodicaly hanging, like every fifth second
in BF2 Same hanging as in HL2

Oblivion is playing like a charm though, isnt that strange?!??
Related resources
April 9, 2006 1:34:19 PM

Yes the viruses or spyware, nope don't have any. System is clean...
April 9, 2006 1:35:56 PM

Forgot to mention
Farcry 1.33
BF2 1.2
HL2 up to date via steam
April 9, 2006 1:59:44 PM

Quote:
K here goes:

the manufacturer of my x1900xt is Club3D
Have the newest Catalyst drivers installed (6.3 I believe)
Running on Windows XP sp 2
updates up to date
have hotfix installed for dual core
Latest AMD driver installed
Recieved my mobo last week, dont have new drivers on it yet but ASUS dont seem to have anything to offer eather...
What more on the system do you want to know?

The problem I experience is:
in FarCry: texture corruptions, animations not playing properly etc..
in Half Life 2 cstrike, game periodicaly hanging, like every fifth second
in BF2 Same hanging as in HL2

Oblivion is playing like a charm though, isnt that strange?!??

Well, Oblivion is written to support dual core and thats' why it's playing so smoothly for you. The other games you mentioned are really for single core. You may want to see if they have patches for dual core support. Of course, it could very well be other things but, that's came right off the top of my head. But i've heard of others having trouble playing games in dual core processors at times.
April 9, 2006 2:06:04 PM

tested more games: quake 3 works perfectly, colin mcrae 2005 as well.
April 9, 2006 2:49:46 PM

Quote:
my problem is that I just bought a new machine. While Oblivion is performing without a glitch I have problems with allmoust every other game. I believe its a problem with the processor support. Does anybody else have the same problem ?

You will have to manually set CPU affinity to a single core for those misbehaving games, this will force the game to run on only one core.

This is done through the Task Manager, simply right click on the application, select Set Affinity... and uncheck CPU 1 (CPU 0 is the default for running OS related task, forcing your game to run on CPU 1 will yield a more balanced load).

You will have to do that every single time that you run a misbehaving game, alternatively, you can contact the technical support for those games and hope that they have a permanent fix.
April 9, 2006 2:54:28 PM

Tried it allready, didn't help... :(  at least for HL2
this shit sux major time....
April 9, 2006 2:56:14 PM

Quote:
my problem is that I just bought a new machine. While Oblivion is performing without a glitch I have problems with allmoust every other game. I believe its a problem with the processor support. Does anybody else have the same problem ?

You will have to manually set CPU affinity to a single core for those misbehaving games, this will force the game to run on only one core.

This is done through the Task Manager, simply right click on the application, select Set Affinity... and uncheck CPU 1 (CPU 0 is the default for running OS related task, forcing your game to run on CPU 1 will yield a more balanced load).

Actually I don't agree with needing to setup the CPU priority. I run the same CPU you have and play all kinds of games with no issues at all. True that most games don't use both CPU's, but it's not going to hurt your performance. I personally switched from ATI to Nvidea because it seemed that ATI's drivers were crap. One set of drivers would work just fine and then the next update would affect some games until I went back to the previous driver. Now, I haven't used an ATI in about 5 months, so I can't vouch for their current drivers.

Just my two cents.
April 9, 2006 3:35:05 PM

Thank you very much, that does not help...
I'm not bying a Nvidia 7900 just cuz drivers suck, allready paid 500 euro for my x1900xt....

Just hope that Ati fixes drivers....
April 9, 2006 3:35:38 PM

i dont think its your CPU, i think its your vid card drivers or the vid card it self, im running an Nvidia MX440-AGP, no lag on CSS, 1.8Ghz P4, 768MB of PC133 RAM.

i dont think its the CPU try getting some 3rd part drivers maybe? or getting an older version of the 1900 drivers
April 10, 2006 1:28:53 AM

Quote:
tested more games: quake 3 works perfectly, colin mcrae 2005 as well.

MS issued a patch for dual core CPU and gaming. I don't think it ia avalable online irectly from MS, but you can check. Anyway, use google for MS dual core patch information
April 10, 2006 6:50:44 AM

I don't have any advice but I must say, this is concerning to me. I'm replacing my 4 1/2 year computer soon, and was going to get an opteron processor, with hopes of playing all these games that have come out the last couple of years.

Keep us posted on how it's going.
April 10, 2006 10:13:11 AM

K, I still have problems. Tried to twicker with affinity, didn't help...
I have the hotfix, from MS and AMD and the one thats found from google (they are all the same)

Have not tried 3 party drivers for graphics card yet. Does somebody know where I can get older drivers for my card?

I am kinda confused, since some games work perfectly, and again some are just not playable... Can it be a combination of my processor and the X1900XT thats making the issues?!??

I am going to try and tweak, but presently I am a bit stunned...
April 10, 2006 11:58:12 AM

Quote:
Still sounds like a driver problem to me.

Occasionally even for a perfect driver install, things can screw still up spontaneously and a clean install of OS is required(only use new drivers on first install). Had it happening to me once.

If that doesn't help then at least we know it's not a drivers problem.

Is the Xpress3200 chipset driver on Catalyst 6.3 as well?

Xpress 3200 is on catalyst 6.3 as far as I am aware...

Quote:
why are people coming out with all this stuff about cpu affinity and all that. i play CSS,HL2, dod:S, all fine. i play bf2 and civ4 as well. guess what, i run folding@home at the same time no problems. i'm with wusy that it may be a driver problem. have you tried removing the drivers for your gfx card and any others you have one by one and re-installing them.

oh and nvidia fanboys, i have always used ATI since a 9700pro and not had a problem AFAIK. i suggest you shut up and not pread malicious rumours.

ilmar, what PSU are you using and have you tried starting up your comp with minimal services. it may be your anti-virus or other background service hogging resources or conflicting with your game. before i switched to the console version of Folding@home i couldn't run bf2 at all.

I have Antecs smartpower 2.0 450w, that should be ok. (since I can play oblivion fine, I don't see how the PSU can be a problem)

The only problem that I have with ATI is Linux drivers, I believe the conteporary ATI technology to be better that of Nvidia and not switching to Nvidia.
April 10, 2006 12:04:12 PM

Thnx Datman, thats very usefull :) 
April 10, 2006 12:23:43 PM

I had same problem with all the steam games. I had to reinstall steam and my games and it took care of the problem. Hope it works for you.
April 10, 2006 12:27:48 PM

I have the antec smartpower 2.0 450w psu. It works fine. I am currently playing FarCry v1.33 and HL2/TFC/DoD with no problems. Thief 3-Dark Shadows is the only game I've had to set the affinity to one processor.

Things you can try:

1. disable cool&quiet in bios.
2. use M$ IDE drivers intead of Nvidia's.
3. try adding /usepmtimer parameter to your boot.ini file

It does however sound like a driver issue.
April 10, 2006 1:38:22 PM

Are you running 32bit or 64bit Windows XP?

If you want to get rid of Catyalist CC, download the control panel from the 5.9 drivers from techpowerup website. Then download the latest separate display drivers/Omega drivers and WDM Integrated Driver separately and install, if you haven't tried this already. Somewhere at the start Hydravision is an install option too, I think in custom install or the drivers disc that came with the card.

This is how I did my driver setup.
April 10, 2006 2:59:41 PM

Quote:
Are you running 32bit or 64bit Windows XP?

If you want to get rid of Catyalist CC, download the control panel from the 5.9 drivers from techpowerup website. Then download the latest separate display drivers/Omega drivers and WDM Integrated Driver separately and install, if you haven't tried this already. Somewhere at the start Hydravision is an install option too, I think in custom install or the drivers disc that came with the card.

This is how I did my driver setup.

K, now running on Omega drivers. Actually had played Cstrike for 5 minutes now without a problem, then same shit...
When I start ATI Tray Tools I get a: Unable to retrie information from BIOS! Please report to developer about your board!

Will try disabling Cool en Quiet next... and install other drivers...
April 10, 2006 4:00:34 PM

I remember about of of x2 problems with some games.
April 10, 2006 4:24:16 PM

I had similar issues with FarCry and Half-Life on my newer single core AMD system. I just nuked my OS install and started clean and that took care of the problem.

Good luck.
April 11, 2006 7:05:46 PM

Going to reinstall windows again, but have to wait untill weekend. Just a thought, can it be becouse I set windows to format harddrive with fast NTFS formatter, instead of the normal (which is incedibly slow)?

Anyway thanx to everyone that helped, I will post my solution when I get one.
April 11, 2006 7:58:35 PM

Did you update your mobo's bios from Asus? Make sure you have the latest driver for your mobo. My setup is very similiar to yours but I have a FX-60 with A8R32-Deluxe MVP mobo and ATI X1900XT. I had issues with BF2 hitching during gameplay. I also had problems with Norton Anti-virus, Windows XP would hang and take forever to shutdown. After upgrading to the latest bio it solved all my problems. Try it and let us know if that helps. My rig is running very smooth and I haven't had a problem since.
April 11, 2006 8:16:23 PM

k, time for me to throw my hat in the ring:

Have you tried uninstalling the hotfix?

I have not installed it as I have not needed it (yet) and everything runs fine. I figure as far as hotfixes go they are not always "fixes" and if there is still an issue you could try that...

My system differs from yours in that i have a different mobo (obviously) and I do not run folding@home. If you try removing the folding app like stranger said that might do it too.

to all that say ati drivers suck:
I have used ati drivers since the 9700pro (also like stranger, not trying to sound like a broken record here) and I have updated them EVERY time a new version comes out. That is near once a month for the last 3+ years. I have NEVER had an issue that traced to those drivers.

Yes, linux drivers are sparse compared to Nv drivers, but the windows drivers are better IMO. I have seen many a friends system crash w/ various incarnations of Nv drivers on Win. Not trying to sound like a fanboy here, just providing a voice of reason in the midst of witch-hunting insanity. No need to put his card through the trials to see how evil it is. ;) 
!