Hale73

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Just got a Corsair Value RAM at DDR400/3200. Will this work on my older PC which has an Intel 845G Chipset and supports only DDR266 and DDR133 memory modules. :? :?

PJ101

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
It should work, just make sure you select that speed for the memory in the bios... One good thing about it, it should give you tons of OC headroom on the ram.

Hale73

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Sad to say but this older PC of mine is breanded, actually it's a lenovo and all bios features are all lock when it comes to oc, ram timings etc.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Dude why would you ask such an ignorant question here?
Have you checked your motherboard manual or manufacturer website?
Oh by the way, anybody know what weight oil Im supposed to use for my 66' Nova?

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The 845g is a relatively old one and I doubt that there was pc3200 RAM at the time the manual was written. Likewise, being an old system, the manufacturer might have already discontinued support for it so would not update the webpage other than chucking it into the archives.

There is no need to be insulting him other than the fact that he posted in the wrong section.

Morph

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004

I prefer 20w-50 year round for the Florida heat. If you live in a cooler climate, standard 30 weight oil would be preferable. Or for cold climate 10w-30 would suffice.

Good luck ;)

modmandan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006

The only ignorant question, is the one never asked...don't be mean dude!

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Wow that was uncalled for. Perhaps he was like most other people and once he got everything up and running, he threw away the documentation, thinking he wouldn't need it anymore. Mabey it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but give the guy a brake for cryin' out loud. Anyway, I fail to see how this is an ignorant question, given he knows a fair amount about his Lenovo. Please, use your undying wisdom, and tell us how this is so ignorant that it should not be here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All PC2100 chipsets can work with PC3200 because PC3200 can be clocked at any lower speed, the problem is that many OEM BIOS wouldn't recognise the faster chip, let alone clock it down.

For most people that means the RETAIL version of your board will probably have a "PC3200" compatible BIOS update (which will recognise the newer RAM and clock it down), but the OEM pre-built system probably won't recognise it. Sorry.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
it depends, it all comes down to if it can read the SPD. Sometimes on older motherboards and CPUs don't communicate well with ddr400. Also if its more than 512mb per stick you might have trouble as well. I tried a stick of corsair valuram 1gig in a Dell 4500 which used the ddr266. It would not recognize it. Either it was the size or the SPD. All I can say is try it and see.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
No. It totally won't work. Send it to me. I'll PM you my address.
Jokes aside, it should work fine.
And to add a question of my own, if it didn't work and he used it any way, would the RAM or mobo be damaged, or would it just not boot?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It would either not boot, or, if in combination with RAM that did work, the system would boot without acknowledging the presense of the added RAM.

Or in the best case scenario, the board might only take the SPD from the first module and configure the remainder as the "same thing", making it work.