casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
They have a store that is a 2 minute bike ride from me.

They usually charge a lot however, but there is no shipping, or waiting, as I don't even need a car, bus ticket, light rail ticket to get there.

What does everyone think?

They are a fine store if you dont mind the markup. They however, have horrible tech support. Remember, instore techs are usualy people who know just enough to stay away from working at McDonnalds. Dont take their suggestions as law, question them, ask us here at TH. The return policy has changed too. Make sure any hardware you buy isnt subject to the no return if opened policy.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
They are a fine store if you dont mind the markup. They however, have horrible tech support. Remember, instore techs are usualy people who know just enough to stay away from working at McDonnalds. Dont take their suggestions as law, question them, ask us here at TH. The return policy has changed too. Make sure any hardware you buy isnt subject to the no return if opened policy.

The only thing I am aware of is the 15% for wireless items, and same product return for pc games.

I always take stuff back without a reciept, but the one girl did say they were going to stop that...

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The problem I've found is that not only are they expensive but often don't carry either the best mfg or carry older models. If you can find top quality hardware or software you want and it's on sale, usually involving a rebate, it can be ok.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
The problem I've found is that not only are they expensive but often don't carry either the best mfg or carry older models. If you can find top quality hardware or software you want and it's on sale, usually involving a rebate, it can be ok.

Compusa has the worst prices for video cards, it is a store for noobs.

Well, what I mean is that they have prices that only noobs would pay for, unless you know what to look for.

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I refuse to use CompUsa in my area (Washington DC) any more.

I have consistantly caught the stores (multiple) pulling bait and switch pricing on their products, the merchandise is piled in front of a sign saying one price and only a skew and barcode to identify the hardware..then when you check out at the counter you find out they have charged you $100 or more above that listed price....then when you call the manager they promise that it was inadvertent but they keep having the same issue time and time again....Eventually I just stopped going there. I have a corporate accoutn with them for my business that we will not be useing again. You are in my opinion much better off ordering off the Web.

Yes. McDonnalds is in the middle of buying out all the CompUSA's. They figure employees could switch from making hamburgers to selling computer equipment, and back to serving fries. This will keep everyone interested.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
They're closing the CompUSA in Lombard, IL. Why? A Fry's moved into Downers Grove, 1 mile away.

Its an OK store if you like cheap stuff at medium prices or halfway good stuff at high prices. Don't expect much intelligence in sales except from a few... For most supplies at work, I go to Staples, Office Max or Office Depot over CompUSA. They don't overcharge for cables... Same cable, same model #, half the price at O-D or O-M compared to CompUSA.

Mike.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

Compusa has the worst prices for video cards, it is a store for noobs.

Well, what I mean is that they have prices that only noobs would pay for, unless you know what to look for.

Dude bottom line is.
1. flagship cards arnt afordable anyways, but shopping there makes them like buying diamonds there so expensive its not even funny.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Then you should go to the local small shops to buy your equipment... Not compUSA.

I support free trade and compititon, and ethical behavior...

Mike

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Hence Local shops. Screw free trade... we need more monopolies.

How is monopolies related to the thread or to free trade. Monopolies are a result of exceptional business practices, patents or copyrights.

I go into compUSA, and I get bad service, lack of support, failure to RMA or Return equipment (even defective equipment), and staff that pretends they know what they are talking about.

Nothing is worst then beign mislead and/or lied to... I hate beign SOLD a product, and especially attempts at selling me extended service plans and instillations... Forget about asking questions, cause the staff simply doesnt know. I had friends that worked at some of these stores, and they had an incredible knowledge of the technology they were selling. They were laid off because they didnt sell enough service plans. They also wouldnt push the most expensive item on the market if the customer didnt need the "added value".

Everytime I walk into that place they try and push service plans on me.

The worst place is CircuitCity... The staff there acts like they are small gods, all because they work at a store that sells some good stuff (and allot of crap).

At the CompUSA near me, its almost impossible for me to get a individual to help me. I guess I dont look like I have money. They sure do run and help my father...

-----------------

With that said, I always look for sales for DVD-R's and I will buy a TV from one of the big stores!

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
You are obviously too young to remember when the telephone company was a monopoly. Ma-Bell charged a lot for service AND for hardware, and you were only legally allowed to purchase your equipment from Ma-Bell. You had a color choice of phones....you could get...Black. Eventually they relented there...and then permitted you to get Black, Deige or white color phones, Ma-bell also resisted moving to touch tone phones and stuck with rotary dial phones for decades after touch tone was available.

If you think monopolies are good, you need a history lesson.

I appreciate your concern with my knowledge of words and their meanings, along with the history behind them, and the experiences they create.

I am fully aware of what a real monopoly is and how they affect the people who are forced to rely the services those companies offer. One might argue that at one time, Microsoft had a monopoly over the small business and consumer computer users. Of course this isn’t the same situation as what Bell and AT&T had, but the effect is more or less the same.

Would I support a monopoly? Yes. A monopoly owned by everyone... call it free enterprize.

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Yah...ok there...a monopoly owned by everyone might be termed a collective....want to try communism? :roll:

While we are discussing meanings...do not confuse my comment for concern or interest. :D

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
One doesn't need to be HERE long enough to recognize what is what and who likes to be what. Life experience trumps forum experience any day 8)

I don’t see how life experience is in play here. And besides the term "living experience" is just another way of saying your and old fart.
Being old doesn’t qualify you as one who holds experience of any value. Aging is not the process of gaining knowledge, skills, relationships, wealth, religion, or experience.... aging is just the slowest way one can die.

Don’t use age as leverage here.... and dont get upset if my humor isn’t direct and obvious... there is no fun in a blatant knock knock joke.

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Right, most common tactic in the book, make a completely insupportable statement then pass it off as sublime humor to get off the hook.

Ok here's what I'm gonna do. *Last Word* it's all yours. I'll leave it there for you.

Old fart is one way to say it, but latley Im defined as a CoC by friends and foes alike. (That would be Crusty Old Coot). With age comes wisdom, may you have the chance to accumulate a lot of it.