New Build Problems - HELP!!

d4m0cles

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
Hi All,

I'm trying to build myself a new server, I haven't built myself a new rig for a while and i thought everything was looking good until i first switched her on and although everything started up, e.g. lights, fans spinning, HDs going, there were NO beeps.....and no display.

I had a dig around on the net to try and figure out the problem and tried a few things, e.g ensuring cables properly fixed, removing HDs, swapping memory, etc. Unfortunately still no luck.

When I was in the middle of fiddling around removing and replacing components, one time i tried to turn on the machine and....nothing. I've tried a few different power cables in the hope that it was a fuse but again still no luck.

I've still got lights on my MB - does that mean the PSU must still be working?

Am I COMPLETELY screwed?? :roll:

Here's my Spec:

Antec P180 Advanced Super Midi Tower Case - No PSU (Silver)
Antec NeoHE 500W Modular ATX2.0 PSU
Coolermaster Hyper48 Cooler (Socket 754/775/478/939)

Abit NI8 nForce4 SLi (Socket 755) PCI-Express Motherboard
ntel Pentium 4 630 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.0GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology
Corsair 1GB DDR2 XMS2-5400 TwinX (2x512MB)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 400GB 4000KS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM
HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X300SE 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express)
Sony DDU-1615 DVD-ROM (Black) - OEM (CD-020-SO)

Thanks for any help

Damo.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
1) Check for improperly installed standoffs. Even one can totally short your board out so it won't start.

2) Try starting with only RAM, Video, and CPU + keyboard and see what happens.

3) Reset the CMOS, and startup the system like step 2.

4) Its a Prescott with its own built it firebox, so check for heat problems.

5) Replace the motherboard.

6) Replace the CPU.

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Hi d4m0cles,

Here are some suggestions:

1) Remove all unneccessary components from the system (e.g. sound card or DVD drive). The less components, the easier it is to troubleshoot.

2) Is your power supply ok? There should be enough wattage.

3) And shadowduck is right, you need to check to make absoultely sure that all mobo connections are ok. One loose wire and you're shot.

d4m0cles

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys :)

I've managed to find another PSU that i know works and tried it in my machine....still the same, so i'm thinking its something to do with the MB or Processor.

I tried the new PSU in another machine just to make sure and it works, so its definitely not the PSU.

Now trying to figure out whats wrong...

I've unplugged EVERYTHING and its still not booting up. My ABIT board has an LED device on it to display the POST code display and when i plug my PSU in it lights up with the other LEDs on my board. My question is, if the MB wasn't working, would those lights be working?!? :?:

Unfortunately i dont really have another suitable MB, Processor just lying around the place to test if one of them is faulty :roll: