AMD 64 4000+ I want it cooler with less noise

-47-

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I have had my AMD 64 4000+ for just under nine months and since I have had it I have added 2 x BFG 7800GTX Graphics cards. As you can imagine my comp is quite noisy and warm. I want to run my computer cooler and maybe more quieter. I already have 3x 80mm case fans. I have a good cable tidy system. What is the best option for me. I dont want to water cool though. Cant be bothered with that.

Also I want a better HSF for my processor.
All help welcome

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Hi -47-,

With regards to your questions about cooling your PC, you may want to consider:

1) You may want to place the computer in a colder room? :) Just a quick suggestion. Especially a place where things don't crowd around your PC.

2) To reduce noise, there are several ways to do it. But two of the culprits are usually fans and hard disks. Keep the number of fans to a minimum.
For hard disks, - one way to make them less noisy is to spin them down when they are not in use. Most new computer systems have a BIOS that supports power management features. You can specify in the BIOS that hard disks should spin down after a period of inactivity.

In a way, cooling and noise work against each other - the more you cool, the noiser your PC will get :p

If you want to find out more, be sure to check out these tips.

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.

It's quiet.

It's very cooling

and it fits the board.

Best AIR cooler I've EVER owned. Just remember to read the installation instructions. Connect to a 5v connector not into the CPU cooler off the board, then you wont even hear it.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=80&disc=

Nuff said

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Turn up your computer volume, and if you have a computer like that, im sure your prolly playing video games...my computer is im sure louder than yours with 6 case fans...i dont know how it could be bugging you, if your playing games and what not, you dont even hear it then.

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.

It's quiet.

It's very cooling

and it fits the board.

Agreed. I just installed one on an A64 X2 4200+ and it works beautifully.
It also has the added benefit of air directed at the components around the CPU by design. It also has the added benefit of directing the exhaust up at the power supply. My PSU has a large exhaust fan at the bottom and the combined effect is a huge drop in case temps.

Best AIR cooler I've EVER owned. Just remember to read the installation instructions. Connect to a 5v connector not into the CPU cooler off the board, then you wont even hear it.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=80&disc=

Nuff said

I use cool 'N Quiet on my system with the Freezer on the cpu fan connector. About 2450 rpm idle, and only 2550 max rpm when CnQ is manually set to max fan or at max load. I can't hear the difference. Why use 5v and give up fan monitoring?

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
better heat sink, more case airflow -_-

how else?

that a64 freezer is indeed a good hsf, but its not one of the top performers. for its price tag, it is very enticing.. but there are others just 10,20 dollars away.

-47-

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Thanks for the help. I especiually like the moving the computer to a cooler room. Thats using your head :D

What about exhaust blowers. One thing i forgot to mention was that my graphics cards seem to be getting quite warm after intense gaming (FEAR and QUAKE 4). I dont want to water cool but is there a better option for getting my babies cooler :lol: