Mar 29, 2006
Current System-
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 +3700 2.4ghz 1mb cache-socket 754
Ram- Ultra 1gig ddr400 PC3200
Graphics- Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 128mb ddr3-500mhz core 1140mhz memory
PSU- Ulta v-series 500 watt- not SLI certified
Case- Ultra windowed, mid T, UV, steel.
Mobo-peice of shit- machspeed micro ATX, agp 8x
Optical- dual layer dvd burner. A good one.

Cpu- 20*C Idle CS:S 37*C load, Age Of Empires 47*C load.^
6600 GT 47*C idle, +70 Load. 50 Average FPS in CS:S. 20 Average FPS in AOEIII.

Future system-
CPU- Conroe Dual Core 2.66ghz 4mb cache
Ram- 2GIG ddr800 PC6400
Graphics- ATI Radeon 1800XT. maby crossfire later
Case- same
PSU-same. maby 600watt crossfire PSU later
Mobo-Socket 755 ATI CROSSFIRE Xpress3200.
Optical- Future BLUE-RAY or HD-DVD[/b]

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
cant be sur ehavnt seen conroe benchmarks

X1800....eww..take that 240+ dollars on an X1800 series and buy a 7600GT for 189 or save more and get a 7900GT cuz the X1800 series isnt that great, a 7600GT is better than X1800GTO in some cases so...yeah

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Ditto what pengwin said about the conroe benchmarks. Also consider that DVD burners were about £400 when they first came out (not sure what pricing was like in the states, but I can't imagine it was much less), so do you really want to spend money that would buy a load of good hard drives, a better graphics card or whatever on a BD-R or HD-R drive?

I'd imagine that the readers aren't gonna come cheap, either, and it was quite a while after DVD came out that games switched over entirely to DVD.

CATASTROPHE

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
i dont want to wait for conroe to come out should i just get a 7900 GT. will my CPU be able to supply enough power to the 7900 GT? if i upgrade to fx55 will it make any difference?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Lol SidVicious, did he even say there are 754's for anything but the 3000+ to 3400+ range?

Otherwise he could get a 939 Or a 940 Motherboard.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
dont get an FX-55 get an opteron more stable and OC better

There is no such thing as FX or Opteron CPUs for Socket 754, get your facts straight and learn to type you ignorant n00b !

where did he say 745?....exactly. learn to read, socket 745 was his current system if he gets a new one it'll be 939 for the FX series or socket 755 for conroe. so before u go out and run your mouth about other ppl not posting correctly learn to read, also i think its SidVicious time of moth again, hows the menstrual cycle going for ya? obviously not to good, soo many mean and angry posts

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
if i upgrade to fx55 will it make any difference?

There is no such thing as FX or Opteron CPUs for Socket 754, get your facts straight and learn to type you ignorant n00b !

where did he say 745?....exactly. learn to read, socket 745 was his current system if he gets a new one it'll be 939 for the FX series or socket 755 for conroe.

Now you're making up Sockets, ever heard of proofreading before ? In the meantime, I'll throw that "learn to read" right back at you...

so before u go out and run your mouth about other ppl not posting correctly learn to read

You already said that, proofreading also helps to avoid repeating yourself.

also i think its SidVicious time of moth again, hows the menstrual cycle going for ya? obviously not to good

Is that all you could come up with ? How brilliant !

soo many mean and angry posts

This recent outburst of thinly veiled flames is directly proportional to the flood of clueless n00bs that have been invading THGC, dropping the signal to noise ratio near the absolute zero.

In time, you'll understand how infuriating it can be to witness a long standing community being denatured by the likes of you.

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
dude! conroe hasnt even hit the streets and you already want a conroe rig...............no comments.......just get a gun and shoot between your eyes, but before, ask someone to take your remanis and feed them to hungry piranhas somewhere in the amazon river....

Wait til conroe gets out to even THINK of a conroe upgrade

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
it was a typo, you know you're wrong so ur gonna pick on my typo kudos to you, at least i can read. unlike your post which made absolutely and totally no sense AT all

DUH..everyone knows that, the thread starter was talking about an upgrade from his socket 754 why whould he get another 754 CPU? Exactly, some critical thinking and common sense skills might be needed when making posts

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
it was a typo, you know you're wrong so ur gonna pick on my typo kudos to you, at least i can read. unlike your post which made absolutely and totally no sense AT all

A typo ? You had three out of four numbers wrong for christ sake ! You're either too excitable or just randomly mashing your poor keyboard, uneducated kids with ADD tend to display those symptoms, especially when they are deprived of parental care :

where did he say 745?....exactly. learn to read, socket 745 was his current system if he gets a new one it'll be 939 for the FX series or socket 755 for conroe.

DUH..everyone knows that, the thread starter was talking about an upgrade from his socket 754 why whould he get another 754 CPU?

'Cause he already got a decent system even though the motherboard seem to be less than adequate.

Then again, you're the only one to blame for that misunderstanding, recommending a motherboard along with the 165 Optie (which you seem obsessed with) would have taken you a few more seconds.

Exactly, some critical thinking and common sense skills might be needed when making posts

You should take your own advice, moron.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
sigh, screw it im not wasting my time on this retarted thread, and also, i just stated for conroes socket what the threadstarter stated he stated

so it was a typo, get over it

ALSO to add the opty 165 trups your 3800 X2 is thatwhy you are so hostile when i stated him to purchase an opteron series?

AND to add to my earlier post of u learning to read, i never specified which opty i said

so please, learn to read, them maybe you will be alble to comprehend the english language, f*ckin canaidan

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
sigh, screw it im not wasting my time on this retarted thread

You're the one who polluted what could have been an intelligent discussion.

and also, i just stated for conroes socket what the threadstarter stated he stated

so it was a typo, get over it

It was a typo, which you not only failed to notice up until now, but that you propagated in the rest of your useless posts, monkey see, monkey do.

ALSO to add the opty 165 trups your 3800 X2 is thatwhy you are so hostile when i stated him to purchase an opteron series?AND to add to my earlier post of u learning to read, i never specified which opty i said

Correction, I'm being hostile toward you, your attempt at wielding psychology utterly failed.

so please, learn to read, them maybe you will be alble to comprehend the english language, f*ckin canaidan

You can hardly type, let alone debate in a civilized way, you might as well start posting "+1" in every single thread that you see, doing so will spare you the embarrassment.

wait for conroe, amd will drop there prices if there quicker (cheap amd systems), and come now there have been benchmarks all over the world and anandtech restested the systems and still its the same lead.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Very hard to say...

If this topic is considering supply and demand..

AMD may have a harder time producing enough for all companies needing/wanting their chip.

If conroe hits a point to where demand is high, and Intel can't keep up, prices may inflate as well. Though, I think they can handle it.

Just need to see what kind of crap hits the fan when its out there :lol:

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I'm hoping the drop dramatically anyway

We'll see...

Me too!!! I hope 939 gets REALLY cheap, so cheap, that a 165 opty gets below 300$ BADLY xD

That and AM2 going cheap by the end of the year... now I'll wait 'til an Intel fanboy tells me "yeah, when con-mthafcking-roe gets to the market it will make AMD look like crap and they'll have to sell their products below the 100$ mark" and such crap...

Im sick of all that stupid "oh, when conroe hist the streets AMD will go bankrupt" stuff, Intel didn't make AMD go away when they were the kings o' tech, so, I don't think that AMD will drop dead as french men on a war (nothing personal against french-ish ppl, just a joke) when that happens.

Now, let the fire begin.....I'm getting my hose.....
Said it then, and would say it again and again and again, AND LOUDER!

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Heh, everybody loves intel where I live, you say AMD and they say AM who?
I have a friend that sell pcs, he tries to sell AMD but ppl think that he's selling rubbish....sad, but true

I agree with you, Intel's marketing is an example of excellent job!

And finnally, if you interpreted my comment as a fanboyish one, it's not (in fact, I almost feel insulted xD), what it is is my response to all the threads that flooded this forums since the first conroe benchmarks came out saying that AMD would have to sell really cheap/were gonna die/set themselves on fire because of that. I have nooo problem to switch to the dark side of the force, but they'll have to prove their worth IN MARKET, AGAINST EQUIVALENT EQUIPEMENT (and I don't mean the first AM2 gen). Possibly Intel will pwn AMD if Conroe really is what it "seems", and I expect that for the first months, I'm really loking forward to the second generation 65 nanos from AMD (and yes, eons will happen before that, but AMD will probably launch their first 90nm processors and then try to move to 65nm ASAP, so, first 65nm gen comes out, they taste the fudge and then make some changes for a "better" product) and compare them to the second "conroe" generation, hell, you can say that I give a f |_| < |< about Conroe I....but I don't

Most Probable Scenario:

Conroe kicks AMD's ass, they sell those micros as hot bread....or free pr0n....big deal (unless you invested in AMD xD), Intel takes back the crown, their pockets get so full that start to leak....meanwhile, AM2 will be in some lone corner crying like a baby...just waiting.....then AM2 realizes "WTF? I'm an AMD's son I'll give it my best shot" so, AM2 90nm evolves into: AM265nmMON and fights for its life against the champion of the Big Brother, the conroe (I, II, III, i don't care which version) and kicks his ass

that, or replace the final words for "gets beaten"....and I'll buy a conroe (when I have the money) xDxD

Performance is LAW!!!!!!!!