Sign in with
Your question

Memory Frequancy Problem :(

Last response: in Memory
April 9, 2006 6:51:48 PM

Hey all , I activated CPU-Z and it showed me at the Memory Tab>Frequancy>167.5Mhz

And at the SPD tab at the SPD timing table it shows that each memory slot is working on 200Mhz

What could be the problem ???

My system is:
AMD 3000 64bit
ASUS NForce3 A8N
Corsair Value Select 2x512MB PC3200 CAS 2.5
EVGA GeForce 6800 128mb agp
PSU: TermalTek 420WATT
April 9, 2006 7:00:04 PM

Quote:
Hey all , I activated CPU-Z and it showed me at the Memory Tab>Frequancy>167.5Mhz

And at the SPD tab at the SPD timing table it shows that each memory slot is working on 200Mhz

What could be the problem ???

My system is:
AMD 3000 64bit
ASUS NForce3 A8N
Corsair Value Select 2x512MB PC3200 CAS 2.5
EVGA GeForce 6800 128mb agp

PSU: TermalTek 420WATT

The SPD is the value that manufacturer sets as default to ensure everything runs fine and puts it at default settings, check your BIOS to see where it places the RAM speed at.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 9, 2006 7:34:08 PM

I checked the BIOS and it says that the DRAM clock is 166Mhz and set on AUTO.
I tried to set it on manual so i set to 400Mhz but it didnt matter it still showed the same results both BIOS and CPUZ

I tried testing each ram module separatly, 512mb module at a time and it worked fine 200Mhz.

And the modules are arranged in the correct order on the motherboard occupying the first two slots (out of three) like the motherboard manual says it sepose to be inorder to achive the 400mhz speed.

:/ 
Related resources
April 10, 2006 2:22:36 PM

OK I set it back on auto, but still what could have cause the system work on 167.5Mhz instade of 200Mhz like it used to before?
April 10, 2006 11:18:26 PM

Quote:
200Mhz is the right speed which you're running now. 400Mhz is the effective speed in DDR terms and is not used in BIOS(unless indicated with DDR).

Setting it to 400Mhz in BIOS is nutz. :roll:

Than I guess my ASUS A8N-SLI is a nutzy board, because it has 400MHz, but wait, it also has 500MHz and 600MHz, OMG, IT'S INSANE!!! :roll:

April 11, 2006 3:50:01 AM

Quote:
Cuz ASUS are a bunch of idiots when it comes to naming in BIOS then overcharge people for it.

Hmm..not sure how Naming Convention and Pricings are related...but ASUS Products are pretty darned cheap for their performance and reliability....

April 11, 2006 1:33:52 PM

ASUS has a good name, but i got alot of friends with a wide veriaty of products that sux :/ 

Like mine, why the hell would it start working on 167mhz??!?@#?!?#!?@#?!@?#!@?#!?@#!?

And the MB always did high pitched noises!

Crap I wish intel would do boards for AMD cpu's :o 
April 11, 2006 1:44:37 PM

Quote:
ASUS has a good name, but i got alot of friends with a wide veriaty of products that sux :/ 

Like mine, why the hell would it start working on 167mhz??!?@#?!?#!?@#?!@?#!@?#!?@#!?

And the MB always did high pitched noises!

Crap I wish intel would do boards for AMD cpu's :o 

You have "nForce3 A8N" as your board, don't you mean K8N nForce3? I can't really find anything on a A8N but there's alot of reference to K8N nForce3, can you give specifics of that Motherboard? As well as the RAM you're using?

EDIT: I found your problem, it seems it's ASUS related (go figure), that running the newer ASUS BIOS on Socket 754 Motherboards, if you use 2 Sticks of RAM that are Dual-Rank (Double-Sided) it forces you to 333MHz DDR. With an older BIOS, you can run DDR400, but may cause instability. Some people claim if you use different slots, it runs DDR400, but it seems it's a ASUS problem.

April 11, 2006 5:09:47 PM

It might just be it because I"m using a newer BIOS version.
Crap what should i do? Load the old "Instable" BIOS settings :/  ?
(Yes its my bad I Use K8N)

How can I know if my memory is double-side?
And where can I see that when I'm buying new ram???
April 11, 2006 7:03:13 PM

Quote:
It might just be it because I"m using a newer BIOS version.
Crap what should i do? Load the old "Instable" BIOS settings :/  ?
(Yes its my bad I Use K8N)

How can I know if my memory is double-side?
And where can I see that when I'm buying new ram???

Try the older BIOS and see if it's stable, it may be. You'll know it's double-sided if you have RAM Chips (little black blocks) on both sides of the chip. Most new RAM is Double-Sided (Dual-Rank) so don't worry about that.

April 11, 2006 8:41:55 PM

My Firend has a similar chipset on his MSI mobo and he has exactly the same RAM. So is it only an Asus 754 issu?
April 11, 2006 8:49:45 PM

Quote:
My Firend has a similar chipset on his MSI mobo and he has exactly the same RAM. So is it only an Asus 754 issu?

It appears it's ASUS s754 related, not to say other s754's may have the problem, but it appears now it's only ASUS. Try the MSI and see what happens if possible.

April 12, 2006 2:29:40 AM

hey what does PC4200 means.why ddr2 is not written on my memory case instead of ddr 4200,is it ddr2.
!