Water cooling liquid alternatives...???

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
distilled water is the best heat transfer medium w/o any additives. i recommend only adding a bit of corrosion prevension(not needed... only if you are paranoid) and some algecide (prevent algae build up)

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
From my knowledge of things, salt water has a higher heat capacity than distilled water and a lower freezing point, HOWEVER, saltwater is a hell of a lot more corrosive and potential harmful to components... the reason I know this is because quenching a forged blade in saltwater often creates a better blade since the cooling occurs much quicker than in fresh/distilled water... but in the context of a pc, distilled water is the way to go.... *crazy fact*

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Some people mix Listerin with water 8O
Sounds crazy, but I think kills microorganisms
Now for corrosion a couple drops of radiator cleaner (for the cars) sould work too :roll:
I hope i won't explode :wink:

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
hmmm did u try it???? 8O
The new Listerin turns the tooth white too.. :lol: J/k
If u shake a bottle of listerin and a bottle of water and the results are the same. But, I am not using it anyway.
Maybe some other forum members have better ideas.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
From my knowledge of things, salt water has a higher heat capacity than distilled water and a lower freezing point, HOWEVER, saltwater is a hell of a lot more corrosive and potential harmful to components... the reason I know this is because quenching a forged blade in saltwater often creates a better blade since the cooling occurs much quicker than in fresh/distilled water... but in the context of a pc, distilled water is the way to go.... *crazy fact*

salt water destroyes copper, Put A/C in a boat the chillers cool on the salt water and they go out within a year if that, salt water = bad

boat - break out another thousand

edit there are some types of liquid coolents you can buy for PC Water Cool Systems

sigh this is why i stick with good ol fan eaiser..plus im paranoid that a tube will bust D:

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
zerex works a bit better than WW, but both works just fine

and if you don't have differently charged metals, you don't need a aditive at all.

(ie, copper+brass+silver)

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
WW sounds good..for a car...your not boiling water in your PC so i dont understand the point at anyrate it has corrision stuff and what not and meh if its cheap go for it :p

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
83% Distilled water
15% Car antifreeze, Propylene glycol (anti corosion and buffer)
2% algea killer
1 drop of soap (break surface tension)

Try to keep around a Ph of 8.

I want to use a Propylene Glycol for 2 reasons, you won't die if you or your pet gets to drink a little of it. It has anti corosive buffers and can keep the Ph at a good level for a while. And I can keep the radiator outside if I really need to.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
83% Distilled water
15% Car antifreeze, Propylene glycol (anti corosion and buffer)
2% algea killer
1 drop of soap (break surface tension)

Try to keep around a Ph of 8.

I want to use a Propylene Glycol for 2 reasons, you won't die if you or your pet gets to drink a little of it. It has anti corosive buffers and can keep the Ph at a good level for a while. And I can keep the radiator outside if I really need to.

Don't anyone out there read that and think it's OK to drink propylene glycol. That's toxic cheet, mon! All low molecular weight alcohols are toxic to humans - ethanol is just happens to be the least toxic.

Have a dribnk on me!

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I just flush the whole thing and I replace it with Distiled Water and WW.
Temps are the same ( I wasn't expect anything better ) but the water looks foggy :? (no bubbles).
Is it how suppose to look???

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
antifreeze has cruddy thermal transfer capabilities, stick with WW or zerex if possible

again:

you DON"T need anti-corrosion additives if you are running metals with around the same charge (copper, brass, silver)

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Yea... l could say kind of pink.
Is is normal..??? My temps are normal tho.
I hope WW is good for the pump.