Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Audigy Drivebays and the X-fi: Compatible?

Last response: in Components
Share
April 9, 2006 7:31:31 PM

I've recently bought an X-fi, the basic job without the drive bay, and was wondering if anyone has had any luck attaching the drivebay from the Audigy series with any success? I have an Audigy 2 in the rig currently, but until I get it shipped over to my current location, I cant test the new card with the old bay.

As far as I can tell, the bays are universal, with no known method of identifying themselves as a partcular unit, but I could be wrong.

If anyone has any info on this, stick it here.
April 10, 2006 7:57:46 PM

I have not done it myself, but I have read they ARE compatible. Just connect the cable.
April 10, 2006 8:13:08 PM

no you can not use an audigy1 or 2 drivebay with an x-fi card. I tried this back in the day of audigy 1 when i upgraded to the audigy2 zs. It does not work. I talked to creative customer support and they said its a no go as well.
Related resources
April 10, 2006 8:18:18 PM

Quote:
no you can not use an audigy1 or 2 drivebay with an x-fi card. I tried this back in the day of audigy 1 when i upgraded to the audigy2 zs. It does not work. I talked to creative customer support and they said its a no go as well.


Yeah I think I remember reading in the install manual about upgradeing from an Audigy 2 with the bay that you have to install the bay that comes with the X-Fi as they are not compatible (wasnt a problem for me as I has the plain Audigy upgrading to the X-Fi Fatal1ty) I cant realy see a reason why they would do this (unless something in that box is upgraded as well ?) to me it sounds like greed :(  Ahhhh well its so good its worth it ! lol
April 10, 2006 9:26:58 PM

Hmmm... So it would seem then that the drive bay unit DOES ID itself to the card? I should have my rig soon to check it out, but from what you guys say, it doesnt look good. However, I'm always up for a challange, and I'll give it a go myself anyway, and post what I find.

It really wouldnt make much sense for Creative to manufacture wildly different bays for their cards, considering they all offer the same I/O facilities. But then again, aside from producing some good hardware, they do seem to be prettyt damn greedy (I was quoted £80 for a drivebay unit by them, which was the same as the card itself. Hooray for grey imports :D  )
April 11, 2006 9:11:28 AM

Yeah best of luck to you with that ! I too am interested in knowing if it works or not (you cant always trust the manuels) hmmmm you know at first I wasnt sure I would use the front drive bay thing too much and I guess in some ways I still dont use all the features but the one I do use almost constantly is the headphone port :)  :)  :)  I have a realy expensive pair of headphones the big ones that make you look like princess laya and combined with the X-Fi the sound is soooooo good its increadible. 80E dollars (I cant find the pound sign and im too tired to look it up so I can do the alt+ thing) but 80 sounds like alot to me thats like 120 american ? talk about rape.... I guess its worth it ? for me the headphone thing I dont know if its worth it but its nice to have those features for the time when I want them hehehe if you need them they kind of have you by the sack...
April 11, 2006 11:00:25 AM

who needs drivebays? u wont use it after a week when u finished playing with it.
April 18, 2006 9:01:52 PM

For those of you who are still interested, I'm still going to test the bay as soon as my machine ships. Shouldnt be too long now, but it'll still be a few days away at least.

Watch this space.

Oh, and the bays ARE useful. The headphone jacks are so much better than most in-case jacks, and the line-in and optical/SP-DIF are extremely useful in hooking up a speaker set when the rig is used elsewhere as a movie station.

Only the MIDI ports go unused currently, I might even get some use out of them if I can ever be bothered to learn the keyboard :) 
April 18, 2006 9:25:41 PM

Yeah I use my drive bay thing every day ! well the headphone port anyway :) 
April 19, 2006 3:29:56 PM

Quote:
I have not done it myself, but I have read they ARE compatible. Just connect the cable.


I was incorrect here. The bays for the audigy 1 are NOT compatible with X-fi eventhough the pinouts look the same. The audigy 2 bays ARE compatible.
April 19, 2006 10:31:58 PM

I guess it's a moot point then to ask whether a Live!Drive II is comaptible with an X-fi.
April 22, 2006 1:24:44 PM

Ahhh, so the Audigy 2 is compatile eh? Excellent. Thats the one I have, so assuming all is good, I wont have to fork out for a redundant upgrade. Excellent.

Thanks for the info, Ziscwg. I'm now looking forward to installing the card even more now I know I can use the bay. :) 
May 31, 2006 6:38:10 AM

Anyone know if the xfi bays are compatible with the audigy 2 cards?? I can't seem to find the audigy 2 bays anywhere and have a actual need for one
May 31, 2006 8:33:32 AM

Quote:
Anyone know if the xfi bays are compatible with the audigy 2 cards?? I can't seem to find the audigy 2 bays anywhere and have a actual need for one


About the same chance AMD M2 CPUs are compatible with 939 pin motherboards.
May 31, 2006 3:59:25 PM

Bloody hell, it took some time to get my rig back, but I've finally installed the card.

1) Yes, the bay DOES work with the X-Fi, everything except the Firewire (Seeing as the X-Fi has no internal header for the socket. It can still be plugged into a motherboard heaer though).

2) The X-Fi sounds awesome, no more resampling distortion in my headphones! Pure, crisp and clean audio. I truely recommend getting one.

3) The software is VASTLY improved over any of the previous incarnations. This time around, the configuration is saved properly (I had constant battles with the Audigy 2 software to hold any settings when you used the headphones).

So, if you have an Audigy2 bay or higher, go for the music version of the card, and save some money. Its well worth it.
May 31, 2006 5:05:01 PM

So what bays would be compatible with a audigy 2 plat card?? From what I have read in forums the live drive bays would be compatible but what about the bays for the other audigy series?
June 3, 2006 6:36:22 PM

Well, I decided to give up on the audigy cards. I was going to try and find a upgrade drive for my current audigy 2. But instead I got the hercules GTXP. Anyone use this sound card? Any opinions on it? I paid like $50 for it so no matter what I think I got a deal even if it sucks and I end up getting something else.
February 13, 2012 8:41:35 AM

Cabletwitch said:
Bloody hell, it took some time to get my rig back, but I've finally installed the card.

1) Yes, the bay DOES work with the X-Fi, everything except the Firewire (Seeing as the X-Fi has no internal header for the socket. It can still be plugged into a motherboard heaer though).

2) The X-Fi sounds awesome, no more resampling distortion in my headphones! Pure, crisp and clean audio. I truely recommend getting one.

3) The software is VASTLY improved over any of the previous incarnations. This time around, the configuration is saved properly (I had constant battles with the Audigy 2 software to hold any settings when you used the headphones).

So, if you have an Audigy2 bay or higher, go for the music version of the card, and save some money. Its well worth it.



Hello and thanks for the information!
You've tried the remote if it works?

Thanks
Elio
!