why is my computer slow

Just wondering why my computer has gotten slow, i run adaware and spybot on
it and have norton anti-virus, how can i speed it back up, i am running
windows xp home edition

Hi

Try Disk Cleanup and Defragmenting your hard disk/partition. Both are
available via Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"mostfun75" <mostfun75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering why my computer has gotten slow, i run adaware and spybot
> on
> it and have norton anti-virus, how can i speed it back up, i am running
> windows xp home edition

Will is quite right. Maintenance is essential for todays OS's. Not like the
old days. You should know that XP, right out of the box, is not optimized for
best performance and there is much you can do to improve overall system
speed. There are literally dozens and dozens of registry edits you can make.
After 3 years of having XP I am still finding ways to optimize it's
performance and make it better for me. One excellent free program that does
work, by making a few of the optimizing registry tweaks for you, is SpeedXP.
You can do an internet search for it and get it from a location near you or
where ever you like. I can verify that it does make the actual reg tweaks and
they do work. The only option I don't approve of or use is "clear pagefile on
shutdown". This simply overwrites your existing pagefile with 0's before
shutting down your computer and can add a long long time to the shutdown.
This tweak is just for those paranoid people who need the added security.
{]:~)

Oh Wislu is you girdle on to tight today. If you don't know anything about
the registry then you don't know what SpeedXP is or isn't capable of. If you
do know then why try and pick a fight. Simply find the tcp\ip settings that
are presently in your registry and record the sub keys entries or copy them
to a location of your choice for future verification. Now install SpeedXP and
do the Network tweaks and then visit the tcp\ip settings to notice the
changes. I certainly am not going to test your IP Throughput for you lazy
wench. The same goes for all the other changes. You can verify them yourself
you don't need my help. Or maybe you do mmmmm. {]:~)

It's irresponsible to advise users to start screwing
around with the registry if, (A) you have no idea what
you're talking about yourself and (B) you have no idea
what the OP's level of expertise or intellectual
capacity might be. Unless, of course, you can show in
*measureable* terms what the specific wonderful
performance improvements are that make you so giddy. You
can't, though because they don't exist outside of your
imagination.