why is my computer slow

Just wondering why my computer has gotten slow, i run adaware and spybot on
it and have norton anti-virus, how can i speed it back up, i am running
windows xp home edition
4 answers Last reply
More about computer slow

    Hi

    Try Disk Cleanup and Defragmenting your hard disk/partition. Both are
    available via Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "mostfun75" <mostfun75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just wondering why my computer has gotten slow, i run adaware and spybot
    > on
    > it and have norton anti-virus, how can i speed it back up, i am running
    > windows xp home edition

    Will is quite right. Maintenance is essential for todays OS's. Not like the
    old days. You should know that XP, right out of the box, is not optimized for
    best performance and there is much you can do to improve overall system
    speed. There are literally dozens and dozens of registry edits you can make.
    After 3 years of having XP I am still finding ways to optimize it's
    performance and make it better for me. One excellent free program that does
    work, by making a few of the optimizing registry tweaks for you, is SpeedXP.
    You can do an internet search for it and get it from a location near you or
    where ever you like. I can verify that it does make the actual reg tweaks and
    they do work. The only option I don't approve of or use is "clear pagefile on
    shutdown". This simply overwrites your existing pagefile with 0's before
    shutting down your computer and can add a long long time to the shutdown.
    This tweak is just for those paranoid people who need the added security.
    {]:~)

    Oh Wislu is you girdle on to tight today. If you don't know anything about
    the registry then you don't know what SpeedXP is or isn't capable of. If you
    do know then why try and pick a fight. Simply find the tcp\ip settings that
    are presently in your registry and record the sub keys entries or copy them
    to a location of your choice for future verification. Now install SpeedXP and
    do the Network tweaks and then visit the tcp\ip settings to notice the
    changes. I certainly am not going to test your IP Throughput for you lazy
    wench. The same goes for all the other changes. You can verify them yourself
    you don't need my help. Or maybe you do mmmmm. {]:~)

    It's irresponsible to advise users to start screwing
    around with the registry if, (A) you have no idea what
    you're talking about yourself and (B) you have no idea
    what the OP's level of expertise or intellectual
    capacity might be. Unless, of course, you can show in
    *measureable* terms what the specific wonderful
    performance improvements are that make you so giddy. You
    can't, though because they don't exist outside of your
    imagination.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP