Sign in with
Your question

Newbie need help with a new rig

Last response: in Systems
April 9, 2006 8:22:56 PM

Heya guys, I`ve been reading on these forums for a while but it`s my first post.
I have recently understood that my comp needs a major upgrade (or a new computer alltogether). Here`s my current (partial) spec:

Pentium 4 HT 2.40GHz (2 processors)
512 Ram
Geforce4 4200Ti AGPx8

That`s all I know for sure cause the store I bought it from ripped me off (and only now, when I was nosing around to see what I need to upgrade, I noticed) and gave me alot less then what I payed for.

Anyway, I decided to buy all the parts on the internet and build the comp myself. Let me assure you, my knowledge in this area is around zero and for that I need your help guys!

This new computer will be for gaming purposes mostly.

So, I was wondering for starters if there`s any part I could use from this computer to save a few extra bucks (like the 2 processors, for instance).

Btw, I`m hoping my budget will be around 800-900$ (US).

Thanks in advance!

More about : newbie rig

April 9, 2006 8:39:40 PM

So you have 2 physical CPUs, and both are HT enabled in a 4-way SMP?

If so then they probably didn't rip you off you just bought a server board when all you needed was a single CPU system. Well maybe they did rip you off in that respect.

Do you have a complete parts list, including the case & PS, mobo model, etc... will help greatly...
April 9, 2006 8:56:50 PM

Well, not really. :( 
Is there any way I can check? cause I can`t find the reciept or the paper-work concerning the computer >,<

Quote:
So you have 2 physical CPUs, and both are HT enabled in a 4-way SMP?

I have no idea what you just said but I`ll tell you why I`m mixed up:
In the system panel it says I got 2.4GHz, but in the device manager it says I got 2 Processors 2.4GHz each.

Again I`ll ask, is there any way I can get a full parts list of my current system?

Edit: The case is a SIMBADDA, but it`s really crappy..really crappy.. but it came with a power supply..
Related resources
April 9, 2006 9:35:18 PM

You must have one PHYSICAL cpu but TWO virtual cores.....

Sell your current one so you can buy a 1000+$USD equivalent one

or

Go with an AMD3200 venice or a 3500, a x1800xt or 7900GT and 2Gb of ram, an 80$ mobo and a nice psu, that should be around 800+ $, your processor wont be as good as more expensive ones, but it'll do the job

Also, you can go with the asrock mobo that has capability for upcoming AM2 processors (by inserting an AM2 socket expansion card on the future cpu port)
April 10, 2006 12:25:33 AM

Ok, Based on the info by 7H4_D00D3 I made this list..
Let me know what you think..:

Mobo
CPU
2xRAM
GPU
Case (although I can get it cheaper in a store by my house, go figure :p  )
I` also thinking of throwing in this CPU fan for some overclocking.

All those together with a tube of thermal gel..
Including shipping to my home, it`s a grand total of: $869.33

Now, first, say what you think.
Second, say if you think this system will be drastically better then my current system.
And third, Thanks :D 
April 10, 2006 12:53:03 AM

Goto www.cpuid.com and download a little program called PCWizard. It will tell you all you want to know about your system. :D 

What about the MSI MB got your attention?
Newegg has better price on CPU CPU
MB too :lol: 
April 10, 2006 1:27:14 AM

WTF??? Ultra??? what kind of ram is that?xDxDxDxD

Seriuosly....never heard of them...

I'd go for another mobo.....
April 10, 2006 1:29:11 AM

Quote:
WTF??? Ultra??? what kind of ram is that?xDxDxDxD

Seriuosly....never heard of them...

I'd go for another mobo.....

Agreed. Buy a matched pair (2x 1GB) from Corsair or OCZ.
April 10, 2006 1:44:14 AM

Quote:
Anyway, I decided to buy all the parts on the internet and build the comp myself. Let me assure you, my knowledge in this area is around zero and for that I need your help guys!

This new computer will be for gaming purposes mostly.

So, I was wondering for starters if there`s any part I could use from this computer to save a few extra bucks (like the 2 processors, for instance).

Btw, I`m hoping my budget will be around 800-900$ (US).

Thanks in advance!

You can find online resources like:

http://www.pcguide.com/byop/index.htm

That has some very useful info. I am the type that likes to have something non-electrical to thumb through so in addition to the above plus forums plus scratching my nads, I also got a book titled:

Build the Ultimate Gaming PC

It was written by K.R. Bourgione and Matthew J. Malm and was published by ExtremeTech via Wiley. ISBN 0-471-75547-8. I imagine you can find it on Amazon - I used a coupon at Borders and got 30% off. I recently built two systems and it had been a loooong time since my last build and these were my first Frankenstein builds. The physical part of installing pieces in a case is very straightforward as long as you use some common sense, like not torquing your mobo screws too tight, not forcing anything when finesse would work, not static shocking any sensitive parts, etc. But the book in particular handles those issues well and the web page I referenced has a very good how-to on installing XP.

Have fun! I sure have. Patience is a good thing, especially when you enter the troubleshooting phase(s). Good luck and may the nforce (or ATI) be with you.
April 10, 2006 2:48:07 AM

Okay, So I revised my build according to your tips and the prices on newegg (which are ALOT cheaper then Tigerdirect). The only reason I used Tigerdirect earlier was because I knew for sure the shipped to my country (Israel). Anyway, Here it is:

Mobo
CPU
RAM
GPU
CPU Cooling
Casing

Together with a tube of Thermal Gel, it`s a grand total of: $672.97 (not including shipping)

This is awsome! It`s a MUCH better system with SLi and almost 200 bucks cheaper!
lol, never going in Tigerdirect again 8)
April 10, 2006 3:19:38 AM

Quote:
Okay, So I revised my build according to your tips and the prices on newegg (which are ALOT cheaper then Tigerdirect). The only reason I used Tigerdirect earlier was because I knew for sure the shipped to my country (Israel). Anyway, Here it is:

Mobo
CPU
RAM
GPU
CPU Cooling
Casing

Together with a tube of Thermal Gel, it`s a grand total of: $672.97 (not including shipping)

This is awsome! It`s a MUCH better system with SLi and almost 200 bucks cheaper!
lol, never going in Tigerdirect again 8)

Bummer. Newegg won't ship outside the US. :( 
April 10, 2006 3:21:42 AM

Quote:
I don't know about international shipping for newegg. Is it a lot more expensive?

lol, you beat my post with your question. Newegg wont ship outside the US at all.
April 10, 2006 3:25:19 AM

Lookin better! :lol:  Kinda question the MB but there again I'm an Asus, MSI fan. Bag the cooler. The boxed CPU will come with a HSF, if you plan on OC'ing get the Silent Boost.
:oops:  Bummer! Looks like international will cost you what, $200.00 (buying from TigerDirect). Wonder why Newegg doesn't ship international? :roll:
You know what? Fire an Email to Neweggs Customer Service and ask them.
April 10, 2006 3:51:50 AM

Quote:

You know what? Fire an Email to Neweggs Customer Service and ask them.

Totally agree, BURN THEM, FIRE FIRE FIRE!!!!!!!!!

They should have international shipping, godd for them, more money to the bank account!
April 10, 2006 9:26:21 AM

OMG I can`t believe I didn`t see that! >.<
Hmmm, there might be a chance could get a special UPS through a friend so I ain`t giving up!

Okay so I baged the cooler to get a better Mobo, This is what I found.
I`m on $674.93
Any comments? Tips?

EDIT: I think I`m gonna keep my current case and just replace the PSU, I currently have a 230W PSU 19a/12v.
April 10, 2006 1:03:45 PM

Good power supplies are something that most people seem to over look. 230 w won't be enough for todays video cards and hi performce MB's. Do a search in these forums, I recently had an interesting issue with one. Get the most watts you can. Stick with a known name. I like Antec personally, Enermax and Thermaltake are good too.
Where your still under budget consider...This CPU
Been alot of talk in this and other forums of its overclock abilities and it gets you into dual-core for lo-monies.
April 10, 2006 1:26:34 PM

Okay, I got this PSU, for $88.50 - sounds pretty good, but it seems like a lot for a PSU.. >.>
EDIT: hmm.. found this PSU for a bit less, I`ll update the prices below to match this one.

Anyway, I started thinking maybe leaving Nvidia and going Crossfire instead of SLI..
So, here are the two options:

SLI: Mobo GPU

Crossfire: Mobo GPU

I`m not sure they are the same(power-wise) so let me know what you think.

BTW, I decided to go SLI/Crossfire so that next upgrade I could just buy another GPU instead of a new mobo and all..

SLI Grandtotal: $703.93
Crossfire Grandtotal: $654.97 (Of course I prefer this one, but will it run modern games?)

^updated prices to cheaper PSU.
April 10, 2006 1:42:15 PM

Personally I like Antec, been good to deal with, good product support.
Right now, I would go Nvidia unless you wanted VIVO capabilities. However I understand that VIVO is NOT avaibile in the CrossFire setup.
Either setup will run todays games really well.
I'm envyious! :lol: 
April 10, 2006 2:40:32 PM

Quote:
Okay, I got this PSU, for $88.50 - sounds pretty good, but it seems like a lot for a PSU.. >.>
EDIT: hmm.. found this PSU for a bit less, I`ll update the prices below to match this one.

Anyway, I started thinking maybe leaving Nvidia and going Crossfire instead of SLI..
So, here are the two options:

SLI: Mobo GPU

Crossfire: Mobo GPU

I`m not sure they are the same(power-wise) so let me know what you think.

BTW, I decided to go SLI/Crossfire so that next upgrade I could just buy another GPU instead of a new mobo and all..

SLI Grandtotal: $703.93
Crossfire Grandtotal: $654.97 (Of course I prefer this one, but will it run modern games?)

^updated prices to cheaper PSU.

Unless that next upgrade is within 90 days or so, SLI/Crossfile is a waste of your cash, don't fall for the hype. Spend your money on ONE good graphics card now (7900GT, 1900XT) and don't worry about having to upgrade later. If you upgrade in say a year, your 2 cards won't be able to match the higher end card of that time which will cost less than you invested in your dual card setup.

Edit: Don't use Sapphire video cards with that motherboard, it has major issues.
April 10, 2006 2:49:35 PM

Quote:
Ok, Based on the info by 7H4_D00D3 I made this list..
Let me know what you think..:

Mobo
CPU
2xRAM
GPU
Case (although I can get it cheaper in a store by my house, go figure :p  )
I` also thinking of throwing in this CPU fan for some overclocking.

All those together with a tube of thermal gel..
Including shipping to my home, it`s a grand total of: $869.33

Now, first, say what you think.
Second, say if you think this system will be drastically better then my current system.
And third, Thanks :D 

I like what you picked though I think the stock AMD fan is PLENTY good. Also, I'd get the 1 GB version of the ram kit and instead get a better vid card -- a 7900 GT
April 10, 2006 3:52:48 PM

Hello

As far as i understand, you can spend $ 900.if i were you, i would go with pentium D 805 or 820. You will need to overclock your processor for extra performance. You should choose a decent motherboard from asus or dfi or gigabytes that can let you overclock your processor and memory easily assuming you are a newbie. You should use pci express graphic card. One card is fine. So if you see any price difference between motherboard with two pci express and motherboard with a single pci express, just go with single pci express. You can not have sli setup with your allowed budget. if you are serious gamer, you should go with nvida 7800. Again you can overclock your gpu and memory. Again you will need third party cooler to cool off your processor. For the storage , you should go with sata II. If you can afford , get 2 identical 80gb hard drives instead of one 160gb hard drive. Have your system setup in raid 0 for extra performance. You must have at least 1 gb of memory preferbably in dual channel mode (2*512 mb) rather than 1 gb alone.

I hope that will help. if you have any questions, please let me know.

My pc

Pentium D 830 3.5ghz
two 160 sata II in raid 0
two 512 from corsair
Gforce Nvidia 6800 GS (560 mhz)
Sony dvd writer

Bye.
April 10, 2006 4:42:13 PM

I would highly reccomend going with 2gb of ram
April 11, 2006 1:30:37 PM

Ram, Definatilty get quailty stuff and get it in a dual channel kit. This Ultra stuff I don't know. I would stay with a known brand. Kingston ValueRAM for the budget minded or Corsair or Cruciaul for performance. Look at warrenties. To me they not only reflect a course of action if there is a problem but also the faith the manufacture puts into their own product.
SLI and CrossFire. These technoligies reflect the bleeding edge of performance today. I see opinions in various forums "gotta have it!", "waste of money", ask yourself," Do I want to invest in it? Is it worth it to me?", If you've got a quailty 17" monitor do you really run your graphics at the ultra high resolutions?, or is it set at 1024x728? The industry, Nvidia and ATI release new stuff about every 6 months. Usually theres a "leap" in performance followed by an "upgrade". Certainly two 7900's in SLI gives one bragging rights, its cool, (wish I had the finanical resources :D  )
April 11, 2006 8:43:02 PM

Well, surprise! I ain`t upgrading.
I`m gonna use the cash to take my girl to a trip somewhere, But thanks so much for all the help! I really apreciate it!
!