Asus A8N-SLI Premium - Is my CPU or Mobo the problem?

jhan1000

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
This is my first post here, and I would like to say hello. I am impressed at the helpful knowledge around here.

I am having difficulty building my current computer with my Asus A8N-SLI Premium and AMD X2 4200+. It's frustrating since my first build went without problems. My computer won't post.

Typically, I use the Post Reporter to help me troubleshoot (my last Mobo was an Asus), but the Post Reporter only says something when there is no CPU. When I add the CPU without the other components, the post reporter is silent.

I've contacted ASUS tech support, and have gotten different answers. This is why I am turning to you guys. Initially, they told me I have to update my bios, however, the mobo box says that it supports the dual core processor. I'm wondering if it's a problem with my motherboard versus CPU. Do you guys have any suggestions or ideas on what is going on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's my equiptment list:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon X2 4200+
Coolmaster RS-550-ACLY Real Power 550W
Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT 1GB x 2
EVGA 7900 GT Superclocked

jhan1000

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
I just wanted to clarify some things:

1) When hit the power switch, the fans turn on, and the CD-roms and Hard Drives turn on as well. However, I don't get the post screen. The post reporter does says nothing.

2) I removed the memory sticks and video card, as well as all the drives. Same result occurs, the post reporter says nothing. The fans turn on, and that's it.

3) It is only when I remove the CPU is removed when I get the post reporter saying "No CPU, No CPU, No CPU...". That lead me to the conclusion that perhaps that my CPU isn't working or there is a short with my mobo. As I said, I don't think it should be a Bios problem since the box says it should work with the X2 processors.

I hope I'm not confusing anybody. :) The question is, should I RMA the motherboard or the CPU or both?

Thanks.

texasgulag

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Do you have all power connectors correctly attached? There is another one that attaches to the motherboard from the power supply. Twice, I've forgotten to plug that little connector in, and I got the troubles you have.

jhan1000

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
Do you have all power connectors correctly attached? There is another one that attaches to the motherboard from the power supply. Twice, I've forgotten to plug that little connector in, and I got the troubles you have.

Yep... I checked that too.

harmonica

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Some motherboards need a biosupgrade before you can use a double core processor. I don't know about yours, but I suggest you figure it out, cause obviously you can't do a biosupgrade before you got it working. If you put in a single core processor you should be able to update the bios. Don't shoot me if I am wrong, but it could be your problem,

greetz

DaveRH

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I've always worked under the impression that the machine won't even try and POST if certain components aren't there. You must have a CPU, stick of memory and graphics card (I think) otherwise the motherboard won't even bother trying. My old Asus A7V required a hard drive to be in place before it would boot also.

I doubt you have a BIOS problem as the A8N motherboards have supported dual-core for most of their history so unless you have an early revision board it should be supported okay.

My first bet would be that you have a defective motherboard. Then I'd suggest a defective graphics card and then CPU (in order of likehood of problem).

If you have access to another machine you can test parts in then that should prove quite helpful in determining the culprit.

jhan1000

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
maybe you can find some info on the asus website (faq, forums, email- or phone support) or in the manual,

Yep... I have done all that already. :) That's why I am here, because I have had conflicting answers.

I've always worked under the impression that the machine won't even try and POST if certain components aren't there. You must have a CPU, stick of memory and graphics card (I think) otherwise the motherboard won't even bother trying. My old Asus A7V required a hard drive to be in place before it would boot also.

You are correct. However, the Post Reporter should be active when the computer doesn't post. The Post Reporter doesn't work unless the CPU is removed. When the CPU is placed without the other components, the Post Reporter is silent. From a different thread, the OP seemed to get his Post Reporter to work. Once he placed the CPU, the Post Reporter reported the next missing piece. He sequentially replaced each component, until he got the computer to post.

If the CPU is defective, would the Post Reporter would not recognize the CPU, and say "No CPU"? Or would it just say nothing? Or is the motherboard defective?

This is what I am trying to figure out.

aolmos

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
What video card are you using?

I had similar symptoms with my Premium and Asus EN7800GTX. I had to boot using an ancient PCI (NOT PCI-E) video card, upgrade the BIOS, then boot using the EN7800GTX.

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Your first step is to figure out what Bios version you have.

Find your Bios chip on the lower right hand side of the Mobo. There will be a sticker on it. Please write down the Bios version and come back.

jhan1000

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
Find your Bios chip on the lower right hand side of the Mobo. There will be a sticker on it. Please write down the Bios version and come back.

I looked at the motherboard, and cannot find the Bios Version. My last ASUS motherboard had a yellow sticker with the the Bios Version on the chip. The SLI-Premium does not have this sticker.

In addition, I looked at the BIOS chip itself, and there is a black mark on it, so the numbers are illegible. I wonder if the packagers put an old Mobo in the box, despite it saying that it is X2 compatible.

Are there any other places I can look for the Bios Version? ASUS tech support said to look at the I/O chip, but no Bios Version is found.

Thanks for your help.

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006

I looked at the motherboard, and cannot find the Bios Version. My last ASUS motherboard had a yellow sticker with the the Bios Version on the chip. The SLI-Premium does not have this sticker.

In addition, I looked at the BIOS chip itself, and there is a black mark on it, so the numbers are illegible. I wonder if the packagers put an old Mobo in the box, despite it saying that it is X2 compatible.

Are there any other places I can look for the Bios Version? ASUS tech support said to look at the I/O chip, but no Bios Version is found.

Thanks for your help.

No sir, without posting that Mobo there is no way to find out.

That sucks...

Your options are....

1. Swap out hardware starting with the cheapest and get the Mobo to post.

2. RMA the Mobo

I had problems with my new setup also. Turned out to be the Mobo, Ram AND Video card. All DOA.

Now maybe my Mobo burnt out the Ram and Video card... who knows.

I fixed it by going to a local computer store and getting cheapo ram and video card first. When the PC didnt post the next step was the Mobo.

With the new Mobo and cheapo hardware I was able to post...

1- CPU off the list of broken
2- Mobo off the list of broken

I swaped back my good ram..

1- Ram DOA

I swaped back my video card with the cheapo ram in the mobo

1- Video card DOA

RMA for refund on Mobo and Ram and Video Card.

Purchased all above items at local store and im up and running.

This is the downside of building computers. God forbid you happen to get a bad part! :(

Good luck and keep us updated.

phoenixavatar2

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Something that was mentioned in the linked thread but now here, my A8N-SLI didn't post when I first installed it, turns out I was a noob and my dual channel memory was in the wrong slots. Make sure you have yours in the blue slots, not the black or some combination. I only have a single core, processor, so I can't comment on your X2.

Dos-Kit

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Hey I had the same problem With the p5n32 mine wouldnt turn on except for the fans trying looking for a eps power supply with a 8 pin connectors cause the p4 only pushes out 18 amps and the p8 pushes out 20 amps and thats what the dual core processors require now with a single core you only need a p4.

jhan1000

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
I RMA'd both the the CPU and Motherboard and it turned out that the motherboard was defective. The internet store replaced the motherboard and now it's working fine.

Now I'm about to update the chipset drivers unless anybody has any reservations.

Thanks for your help.