Any CNPS9500AT Users?

tvl

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I posted a message very similar to this one on the Cooler & Heatsinks - Overclocking forum. I received one response which wasn't helpful. So, I would like to try this forum.

A while back, I had asked about Pentium D820 temperatures and received very helpful comments. I have now decided I would like to add the Zalman CNPS9500AT CPU cooler. Does anyone here presently use one of these units?
I would like to know if the CPU fan has a 3 or 4 pin connector. I am currently using a 4 pin connector and would think I should continue in this manner for proper automatic operation.

I know for a fact the CNPS9500LED unit has a 3 pin connector, but I have been led to believe the AT unit has a 4 pin connector ...... just want to make certain??

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
i dunno if this helps any but i would reommend the thermaltake big typhoon known to cool better, and its cheaper

b11.png

bigtyphoon8.jpg

typh-chart.jpg

Tt Typhoon Reviews

and to answer ur question, all zalmans are 3 pin the cooler u specified comes with fanmate 2 which has only 3 pin connectors

oh another plus to the big typhoon the 120mm fan on top is replaceable if it breaks its an easy fix, or if u want an LED fan

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
He is asking about power pins... not performance.

My 7700-CU is 3 pin, and I remember seeing 9500 is 3 pin.

What MB are you currently using?

NewEgg has the AT version, but doesn't show power pin:

9500 AT

I'm guess 3 pin still, since it is a fan without the led light.

Edit:

:lol:

Even Zalman's website doesn't say:

Zalman website 9500 AT

ROTFL..

Even the installation animation doesn't show plugging in the power.

Edit:

Took forever to get the PDF file. The picture there looks like a 4 pin, very hard to say what it is. I would assume 3 pin :oops:

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I posted a message very similar to this one on the Cooler & Heatsinks - Overclocking forum. I received one response which wasn't helpful. So, I would like to try this forum.

A while back, I had asked about Pentium D820 temperatures and received very helpful comments. I have now decided I would like to add the Zalman CNPS9500AT CPU cooler. Does anyone here presently use one of these units?
I would like to know if the CPU fan has a 3 or 4 pin connector. I am currently using a 4 pin connector and would think I should continue in this manner for proper automatic operation.

I know for a fact the CNPS9500LED unit has a 3 pin connector, but I have been led to believe the AT unit has a 4 pin connector ...... just want to make certain??

I have one and it has a three pin plug.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Only found one pic that showed the back end, where the power cord is all tied up and tucked in.

It looks like 3 wires... yellow, blue, and green.

Hard to say if it is 4 pin. I guess that product is too new atm, and just doesn't specify 3 or 4 pin. :lol:

This was the image I zoomed up on in Paint Shop:

35-118-003-03.jpg

Edit: Doh.. I guess LithiumSunset just posted, saw it after I posted this. Still kinda funny how the PDF shows 4 pin... hehe

tvl

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks everyone!

Grimmy had asked about my MOBO info: The unit shipped with an Intel D945PPR, D945GPR (this is exactly what is printed on the board) and has a LGA775 socket (Pentium D).

I am currently using the standard HSF which shipped with the unit and it has a 4 wire or 4 pin connector (of course, the MOBO has a 4 pin header also). I am assuming the 4th wire is used for feedback and/or needed for proper automatic fan speed control. This is the reason I am searching for a HSF with a 4 pin configuration.

I really liked the Zalman unit, but I do not think I should try it since the fan has only a 3 pin connector???

Thanks LithiumSunset for letting me know what actually ships with the unit!

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Thanks everyone!

Grimmy had asked about my MOBO info: The unit shipped with an Intel D945PPR, D945GPR (this is exactly what is printed on the board) and has a LGA775 socket (Pentium D).

I am currently using the standard HSF which shipped with the unit and it has a 4 wire or 4 pin connector (of course, the MOBO has a 4 pin header also). I am assuming the 4th wire is used for feedback and/or needed for proper automatic fan speed control. This is the reason I am searching for a HSF with a 4 pin configuration.

I really liked the Zalman unit, but I do not think I should try it since the fan has only a 3 pin connector???

Thanks LithiumSunset for letting me know what actually ships with the unit!

I have one on a 4 pin Intel board and it works fine. One of the pins doesn't get used that's all.

tvl

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks again LithiumSunset!

Then I am confused. How can the computer properly control the fan speed with a 3 wire setup?

If I currently use a 4 wire setup with the standard HSF, then I would assume the fourth wire is there for a specific reason ......... in other words, it must be doing something or it wouldn't be there.

Can you or someone else explain what I may be losing by converting to a 3 pin setup?

Thanks!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I couldn't find your board, but on Intels site this is what I found:

d945gpm

Clearly shows 4 pin. Couldn't find any thing on "D945GPR".

As for the PDF, the Pin out for the 4 pins:

Table 21. Processor Fan Connector
Pin Signal Name
1 Ground
2 +12 V
3 FAN_TACH
4 FAN_CONTROL

Hope that helps.

tvl

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks Grimmy!

Well, based on your findings regarding the CPU fan pinout, I would assume that if I switch to the Zalman cooler with a 3 pin connector, I will most probably loose the Fan_Tach feature. That would suck! The other 3 pins (or wires) are critical for proper operation.

Not the "end of the world", but I think it is nice to be able and monitor speed .........it gives a good reference for future use.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
No... you just loose the "4 FAN_CONTROL".

The AT will not have a fan mate (some people like it, others dislike it).

You will be able to monitor the RPMs. Its just that you won't be able to control the speed, I think. Unless you get the LED 9500 with fan mate.

It will just run at full RPMs, but the fan should be fairly quiet.

tvl

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks again Grimmy!

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am even more confused by your last post. You indicated I would only loose the fan_control feature.

Well, here's my confusion. I am currently running the stock HSF which shipped with the computer (complete computer purchased off the shelf), and the CPU fan has a 4 wire/4 pin connector which connects to the MOBO's 4 pin header. With my present setup, I have no way of controlling the fan speed through the BIOS or any software I have on the system.

So, why is there 4 wires present? ...... there's got to be a reason ............ which leads me to believe the replacement CPU fan should also have a 4 wire/4 pin connector

PS: According to the Zalman website, the LED model which ships with a fan mate controller has ONLY a 3 pin connector also. So, if the 4th wire is truly for fan_control, why wouldn't the LED model have a 4 wire/4 pin connector?? Do you see my confusion?

Sorry for my persistence! I am just searching for the logical answer ........ which also indicates my ignorance in the subject!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well for starters... all my systems are 3 pin :)lol: even my P3 800 system). So you are asking someone who isn't using a 4 pin setup. And my Q-Fan in the bios is disabled, so I run my CPU fan at max RPM.

Basically you have pins 1-2 for power. 3 is the Tach, for RPM readings. Pin 4, the Fan control suggests that the bios controls the fan speed through some kind of resister/software, which monitors the temp.

So... when your temps are low, the fan speed is prolly near 1000 rpms or lower. When the temp hits a high number, say 60C then it kicks the speed up to max RPMs.

Fan mate hooks up with the fan 1st, then to the MB. Fan mate is just a nob, like a volume control. You turn it all the way down, that is the lowest RPMs you get, turn it up.. then you have max RPMs.

Looking at my 3 pin (Zalman 7700).. the 1st wire is black (ground) 2nd red (12v) 3rd is yellow (tach). As long as you know which is the number 1 pin, you should be able to use any 3 pin fan.

So, it is up to you to figure out how your bios controls the stepping, if it is really needed. I don't think you do, since the software only kicks in high RPMs when your system is hot.

If you want to run it cool the majority of the time, you can just hook it up and run it at full RPM. I've read most people complain their processors run too hot. I won't get into temp accuracy, but it just everyones general preference, is usually different from what they expect.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

You will be able to monitor the RPMs. Its just that you won't be able to control the speed, I think. Unless you get the LED 9500 with fan mate.

I have two 9500s, one on an Asus mobo, one on a DFI. Both allow me to watch the fan rpm and the mobo software appears in both cases to regulate the fan speed as my settings have requested.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

I have two 9500s, one on an Asus mobo, one on a DFI. Both allow me to watch the fan rpm and the mobo software appears in both cases to regulate the fan speed as my settings have requested.

Errr.. why are you telling me that? :lol:

I can understand you can regulate fan speed, but his board may not be the same, since the fan uses a 4 pin connector.

This is what TVL has:

d945gpm

I've already explain to him that he can use a 3 pin HSF, but that other is a 4 pin(Katana scktn-775), if he wants to get something that will plug into his board as a 4 pin.

tvl

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
UPDATE! UPDATE!

I finally got an official reponse from the Zalman website:

The Zalman engineer stated the CNPS9500AT CPU cooler does come with a 4 wire / 4 pin connector. It does allow for PWM control.

The CNPS9500LED doe not come with a 4 wire / 4 pin connector. It has a 3 pin connector and also ships with a fan mate speed controller.

Maybe this will help someone else in the future. I placed the order for the CPU cooler this morning!

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Thanks Grimmy!

Well, based on your findings regarding the CPU fan pinout, I would assume that if I switch to the Zalman cooler with a 3 pin connector, I will most probably loose the Fan_Tach feature. That would suck! The other 3 pins (or wires) are critical for proper operation.

Not the "end of the world", but I think it is nice to be able and monitor speed .........it gives a good reference for future use.

Grimmys right, you wouldn't lose any functionality of the controls or monitoring features. The Zalman cooler also comes with what they call a fanmate. It's a little box that mounts inside or outside your case (you don't have to use it) that you can manually control your fan speed if you want. Otherwise, the motherboard controls will certainly control and monitor it. It works very well on my Intel boards.

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
UPDATE! UPDATE!

The Zalman engineer stated the CNPS9500AT CPU cooler does come with a 4 wire / 4 pin connector. It does allow for PWM control.

The CNPS9500LED doe not come with a 4 wire / 4 pin connector. It has a 3 pin connector and also ships with a fan mate speed controller.

Maybe this will help someone else in the future. I placed the order for the CPU cooler this morning!

There ya go and good deal. After looking a little closer at mine, I did discover that mine is the LED version. What's funny is, it does say CNPS9500ATxx on the back of the fan though. Threw me off a bit. But anyway, it still works on my Intel boards though and it works well.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
UPDATE! UPDATE!

That's cool, but my point to Grimey was that 3 pin setups can include fan speed control and monitoring if there is software running to support it.

tvl

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
ClueLess,

I feel you are absolutely correct in your statement.

However, I was searching for a fan which would be automatically adjusted according to the demand .......... in other words, I wanted to maintain the system as it was shipped. Zalman support assured me of two things:

1- The "A" in CNSP9500AT signifies automatic

2- The presence of the 4th wire or 4 pin connector signifies the fan has pulsed width modulation (PWM) control, which also signifies the fan speed is being controlled automatically.

Thanks to all for responding!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
UPDATE! UPDATE!

That's cool, but my point to Grimey was that 3 pin setups can include fan speed control and monitoring if there is software running to support it.

Well, if you missed it somewhere, I'm aware of it. I use a 7700CU on my Asus board, and I have Q-Fan disabled. Also I use fan mate.

This would have never been asked I think, if the NewEgg/Zalmans Website/ PDF link I saw provided what the AT 9500 power pin was/is. (which I did use my own time looking up)

Anyhoo, cool, glad to hear it comes with 4 pin as well.