strange approach to KDEN

Last response: in Video Games
July 1, 2005 8:08:17 PM

Last night (actually, this morning at 12:30AM), I was on a Frontier flight
from KSFO to KDEN. As we approached Denver, we crossed the Front Range of
the Rockies somewhere between Boulder and Golden heading pretty much due
east. Looking out the windows on the righthand side of the plane, I saw
that we had descended to probably about 1000' AGL and were only a few miles
due north of the airport, which I could clearly see out the window. At this
point, the plane made a 90 degree turn to the right, continued to descend,
lowered its landing gear when we were (substantially) less than 1000' AGL,
and landed on runway 17L.

I've never come into Denver quite this way before, with the tight
low-altitude turn and lowering the landing gear so close to the ground.
(There's so much room out there that usually planes come straight in and
don't do much maneuvering unless they're avoiding weather, but things were
pretty clear last night.) I'd like to try this on the sim. Does anyone know
if this is a published procedure? Since it was so late at night, did it
have something to do with noise abatement?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Wayne

More about : strange approach kden

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:49:50 PM

Wayne Citrin <wcitrin@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've never come into Denver quite this way before, with the tight
> low-altitude turn and lowering the landing gear so close to the ground.
> (There's so much room out there that usually planes come straight in and
> don't do much maneuvering unless they're avoiding weather, but things were
> pretty clear last night.) I'd like to try this on the sim. Does anyone know
> if this is a published procedure? Since it was so late at night, did it
> have something to do with noise abatement?

Given the low altitude above the ground and the 90 degree turn, that
procedure read to me like a published visual approach. Some airports
actually have official published visual approaches that read something
like, "Follow the river to the Stadium, then turn inbound to the runway."

Teterboro, New Jersey (KTEB) has a couple of those.

With that in mind, I searched the FAA database of approaches here:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/index.php

but there were no published visual approaches for KDEN.

Thus, I would speculate that the aircraft was cleared for a "visual
approach, fly right base for rwy 17" (or perhaps simply cleared for the
visual approach, no additional instructions) and the pilot simply flew in
this manner to the runway.

Perhaps he was reliving his fighter pilot days, which I understand happens
occasionally with those commercial bus drivers. ;-)

--
Peter

July 1, 2005 11:49:51 PM

"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Wayne Citrin <wcitrin@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I've never come into Denver quite this way before, with the tight
>> low-altitude turn and lowering the landing gear so close to the ground.
>> (There's so much room out there that usually planes come straight in and
>> don't do much maneuvering unless they're avoiding weather, but things
>> were
>> pretty clear last night.) I'd like to try this on the sim. Does anyone
>> know
>> if this is a published procedure? Since it was so late at night, did it
>> have something to do with noise abatement?
> Thus, I would speculate that the aircraft was cleared for a "visual
> approach, fly right base for rwy 17" (or perhaps simply cleared for the
> visual approach, no additional instructions) and the pilot simply flew in
> this manner to the runway.

Thanks. Since it was late at night, the weather was clear, and there wasn't
much else going on at the airport at that time, this may well have been the
case.

Wayne
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:41:21 AM

Or you can go to the Virtual Frontier site and look around
http://www.virtualfrontier.org/. Maybe the experts there would know???

Mark G
Not4wood

"Wayne Citrin" <wcitrin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Wayne Citrin <wcitrin@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've never come into Denver quite this way before, with the tight
>>> low-altitude turn and lowering the landing gear so close to the ground.
>>> (There's so much room out there that usually planes come straight in and
>>> don't do much maneuvering unless they're avoiding weather, but things
>>> were
>>> pretty clear last night.) I'd like to try this on the sim. Does anyone
>>> know
>>> if this is a published procedure? Since it was so late at night, did it
>>> have something to do with noise abatement?
>> Thus, I would speculate that the aircraft was cleared for a "visual
>> approach, fly right base for rwy 17" (or perhaps simply cleared for the
>> visual approach, no additional instructions) and the pilot simply flew in
>> this manner to the runway.
>
> Thanks. Since it was late at night, the weather was clear, and there
> wasn't much else going on at the airport at that time, this may well have
> been the case.
>
> Wayne

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:41:22 AM

Not4wood <no_spam_mgottes@verizon.net> wrote:

> Or you can go to the Virtual Frontier site and look around
> http://www.virtualfrontier.org/. Maybe the experts there would know???

From the disclaimer at their site:

Disclaimer: This virtual airline is operated by aviation and simulator
enthusiasts. All "real" logos of Frontier Airlines are copyrighted
material for the corporation of Frontier. We are not affiliated with
Frontier Airlines. Frontier Airlines has no financial interest in this
Virtual Airline. Information found on this web site is not intended for,
nor should it ever be used for real world aviation.

--
Peter

July 2, 2005 9:26:15 AM

So, you will see this at about 90% of all of the Virtual Airlines. The
original question was about an approach to 17L I think. They have there
main Hub at KDEN. That someone would know in there forums would be highly
likely.

They are a Vatsim based VA with a major hub at Denver!!! They would be the
people to ask............................ If you want your question
answered.

Don't be offended, this is a Flight Sim newsgroup

AND Virtual Airlines are very highly respected here!!!

Mark G
Not4wood

> Not4wood <no_spam_mgottes@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Or you can go to the Virtual Frontier site and look around
>> http://www.virtualfrontier.org/. Maybe the experts there would know???
>
> From the disclaimer at their site:
>
> Disclaimer: This virtual airline is operated by aviation and simulator
> enthusiasts. All "real" logos of Frontier Airlines are copyrighted
> material for the corporation of Frontier. We are not affiliated with
> Frontier Airlines. Frontier Airlines has no financial interest in this
> Virtual Airline. Information found on this web site is not intended for,
> nor should it ever be used for real world aviation.
>

> --
> Peter

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:41:34 PM

> Perhaps he was reliving his fighter pilot days, which I understand happens
> occasionally with those commercial bus drivers. ;-)
>
> --
> Peter

I was on a Naval Reserve C-9 flight years ago going into Columbia SC.
Weather was fine and the pilot made a carrier style 180 degree curved
approach, followed by about a 10 second final and then landed.

I think he was just having fun!

Bob McKellar
!