automatic internet time syncronization

automatic internet time syncronization on my win-xp pro used to work very
well using a modem connection over the phone line.
recently I started using a WLAN wireless network connection (peer-to-peer)
(IEEE 802.11b) connected to another computer running on win2000 which is the
one connected to the internet (using an SMC EZ Card 10_100 (SMC1211TX). and
I get the following message: "An error occurred while Windows was
syncronizing with [name of server]". I tried other servers, and the same
happens.
or sometimes the message appears: "Windows has never attempted to syncronize
with an internet time server".
would appreciate some assistance.
--
Regards,

Josh
2 answers Last reply
More about automatic internet time syncronization

    In some cases the firewall will not allow you to connect to a time server or
    in fact the server may be down. You can add as many time servers as you want
    in the registry. In my case the servers are only available in the day time. I
    assume this is to cut down on their expenses of keeping the server open 24
    hrs a day. My XP only came with 2 servers available. time.nist.gov and
    time.windows.com . You can do an internet search for time servers and locate
    the ones nearest to you. The list will contain their addresses in the same
    format as the two I gave you. All you need to do is copy and paste the new
    ones into the registry. Go>start\run and type in regedit and click ok or hit
    enter on your keyboard. Now navigate to the end of the following route by
    clicking the + beside the entries in the following order.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/DateTime/Servers
    Now click Servers to open it's keys in the right panel. You should see the
    first two I gave you already there. Now you simply right click in a blank
    area then go new>String Value and give it a number. If you already have 1 and
    2 then give it the number 3 and so on. You can create as many as you like.
    Then click a blank area to set the key. Then right click on the key and click
    modify. In the lower line, paste the entry you copied from the list you got
    during your internet search, or type in the address, then click a blank area
    to set the value. Voila. You've just added a new time server to your list and
    quite possibly done your first registry edit. Not so hard eh? {]:~)

    Thanks for this, but I already tried it all.

    FYI this is the complete list of time servers on my machine:
    time.windows.com; time.nist.gov; time-a.nist.gov; time-b.nist.gov;
    time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov; time-b.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov;
    time-c.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov; time.nist.gov; time-nw.nist.gov

    I mean, is it possible that ALL 9 servers are down at the same time? (my
    machine is connected to the net for 9 hours uninterrupted every day).
    There's gotta be something else, don't you think? Especially because it used
    to work with the modem connection. My firewall is off.

    --
    Regards,

    Josh

    "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    > In some cases the firewall will not allow you to connect to a time server
    or
    > in fact the server may be down. You can add as many time servers as you
    want
    > in the registry. In my case the servers are only available in the day
    time. I
    > assume this is to cut down on their expenses of keeping the server open 24
    > hrs a day. My XP only came with 2 servers available. time.nist.gov and
    > time.windows.com . You can do an internet search for time servers and
    locate
    > the ones nearest to you. The list will contain their addresses in the same
    > format as the two I gave you. All you need to do is copy and paste the new
    > ones into the registry. Go>start\run and type in regedit and click ok or
    hit
    > enter on your keyboard. Now navigate to the end of the following route by
    > clicking the + beside the entries in the following order.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/DateTime/Server
    > Now click Servers to open it's keys in the right panel. You should see
    the
    > first two I gave you already there. Now you simply right click in a blank
    > area then go new>String Value and give it a number. If you already have 1
    and
    > 2 then give it the number 3 and so on. You can create as many as you like.
    > Then click a blank area to set the key. Then right click on the key and
    click
    > modify. In the lower line, paste the entry you copied from the list you
    got
    > during your internet search, or type in the address, then click a blank
    area
    > to set the value. Voila. You've just added a new time server to your list
    and
    > quite possibly done your first registry edit. Not so hard eh? {]:~)

Connection Internet Servers Windows XP