Sign in with
Your question

External 3.5" HDD enclosures?

Last response: in Storage
April 10, 2006 1:42:27 AM

My PC (Compaq) only has room in the case for one HDD. I had to pull the CD-ROM to fit a 250gb Seagate, but I think I want another DVD/RW. I've took a peak at the ones available on Newegg. Are there any that stand out bang for the buck or are they all pretty similar? Do you run the cable through the opening of a PCI slot?

Thanks.
April 10, 2006 2:11:05 AM

Quote:
My PC (Compaq) only has room in the case for one HDD. I had to pull the CD-ROM to fit a 250gb Seagate, but I think I want another DVD/RW. I've took a peak at the ones available on Newegg. Are there any that stand out bang for the buck or are they all pretty similar? Do you run the cable through the opening of a PCI slot?

I haven't seen any reviews but have used some no-name enclosures from CompUSA with no probs. The cable of the ones I've used is USB and the IDE to USB converter is in the box.
April 10, 2006 3:08:54 AM

Yeah, they have those on NewEgg, but I was looking at the SATA enclosures as that's what my Seagate is (forgot to mention). Like these:

Newegg's external SATA HDD enclosures

My mobo has 4 SATA connectors, so Im guessing I can either use an open PCI space or drill some holes in the case for the SATA cables.
Related resources
April 10, 2006 5:08:32 AM

JickBahTech, thanks for that link. Have you used any of their products?
!