steeeler58

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Ok, I'm setting up a network for my mom and her co-worker. They bought an external hard drive, Maxtor Basics, Personal Storage 3200, and they want to be able to back up the files on this. I'm not sure of the best way to do this. Any ideas??

mucho thanks!

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
What kind of network? Are you using a switch or router? If it's just two computers networked with no router or switch, I'd just attach it to one of the computers, then map that drive on the other. If you're using a switch or router, you can use a network storage adapter that allows you to plug the USB cable into it, then you plug the adapter into the switch or router with an ethernet cable.

steeeler58

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I am just going to set up a workgroup with 2 wireless laptops and one desktop. And it is a wireless router. I think i will just map the external hard drive to all computers. I am going to try to do this on Tuesday and I think they may be trying to do something that isn't entirely possible, or may be just out of my league!

Thanks

Zakkas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
This is possible. Once you've mapped the drive on one of the PC's and given the user permissions/right to whatever files or folders are in the back harddrive simply have the user make routine backups with Windows Backup.

Or you can use the Syncronization manager to have the computer make copies of selected files or folders. All you have to do is right click the mapped drive and select synchronize or click the Tools tab and click "Synchronization" and that lets you specfiy what/where you want to synchronize files.

I don't think it would work using a media converter and plugging the harddrive into the switch/router since you can't give it an IP address.