LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Hey guys,

Just took delivery of a new Dell XPS M140 laptop. It has an Intel 740 processor. I got the 9 cell battery with it and the battery life is rated as high as 7 hours! I did a little test this afternoon on it. I watched the entire NASCAR race with trackpass running and the battery lasted the entire race!

Looks like Intel has certainly done something right with the battery life of their mobile processors. This thing rocks and the performance is incredible!

Oh, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I just thought I would mention it as, i've seen many other threads here about Intel mobile processors. Anybody have good experiences like this with Intel?

This is from Dells site where I ordered the machine:

Optional: 9 cell battery available (Maximum battery life of 6:58 to 7:09 hours

They threw in the 9 cell battery for free! The machine cost me 900 bucks brand new! Sweet machine for the price.

Just wanted to add one more thing. The standard battery is rated for up to 4 hours. I'm wondering if anyone has this machine with the standard battery and how long it really lasts.

S
tandard: 6 cell battery (Maximum battery life of 4:28 to 4:40 hours

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Just wanted to update this. So far, my new laptop has done almost 6 hours on a single charge. Not sure how much longer it will go. I'm just totally impressed with this thing. :D

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Just wanted to update this. So far, my new laptop has done almost 6 hours on a single charge. Not sure how much longer it will go. I'm just totally impressed with this thing. :D

Can you charge the battery, run a Game or something the whole time, than report back when the battery dies? Yea...exactly...

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006

Can you charge the battery, run a Game or something the whole time, than report back when the battery dies? Yea...exactly...

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

Uh, ok let's see,
1. Yes, because it came with a charger. DUH
2. It's not a gaming laptop
3. Yes, I have been sitting here running it all afternoon with AIM, Surfing, reports for work, watched a movie and have been running iTunes all afternoon.

I'd say, 6 hours is pretty damn good

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Yes that is very good. Awhile back when I used a company IBM (700mhz), I think it only lasted me 2-3hours on battery time.

So, ya.. 6+ hours is amazing.

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Yes that is very good. Awhile back when I used a company IBM (700mhz), I think it only lasted me 2-3hours on battery time.

So, ya.. 6+ hours is amazing.

2-3 hours is still pretty good for a single charge though and, that's what I normally expect from a laptop. I've never owned one that goes such a distance on a single battery charge and performs so well. I'm just blown away by this thing.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Hey guys,

Just took delivery of a new Dell XPS M140 laptop. It has an Intel 740 processor. I got the 9 cell battery with it and the battery life is rated as high as 7 hours! I did a little test this afternoon on it. I watched the entire NASCAR race with trackpass running and the battery lasted the entire race!

Looks like Intel has certainly done something right with the battery life of their mobile processors. This thing rocks and the performance is incredible!

Oh, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I just thought I would mention it as, i've seen many other threads here about Intel mobile processors. Anybody have good experiences like this with Intel?

This is from Dells site where I ordered the machine:

Optional: 9 cell battery available (Maximum battery life of 6:58 to 7:09 hours

They threw in the 9 cell battery for free! The machine cost me 900 bucks brand new! Sweet machine for the price.

Just wanted to add one more thing. The standard battery is rated for up to 4 hours. I'm wondering if anyone has this machine with the standard battery and how long it really lasts.

S
tandard: 6 cell battery (Maximum battery life of 4:28 to 4:40 hours

Word

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
What makes this guy an idiot? He's got a new toy and is excited about it... and on top of all of that it's performing better than expected. I'd be doing the same thing in his boat (btw, I got a Core Duo laptop muahahaha)

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
he's calling MadModMike an idiot.

I'd say the battery life on a M140 gaming to sit in the 90-120 min range depending on a lot of factors. as for just general usage and 6+ hours, Nice job. Did you turn down the LCD to get back kind of battery life? I know dimming the screen used to add 15-20min to my battery life back in the day on my old Dell Inspiron 8000.