Need help choosing a Video card for new rig

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Graphics Cards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 10, 2006 2:47:52 AM

[/b]Ok folks heres the deal. I have quite a few of my system componets bought already and I am just down to choosing a video card or two for my system......So I need your help my fellow freaks.

Currently I have

Lian Li PC65B case
Plextor DVD burner (slot load) 716al/sw
Plextor CD burner 230a
2 WD Raptor 36 gig HD's that I plan to run in raid 0
Asus p5wd2-e premium (975x chipset)
Intel P4 930 Dual core (3.0ghz)
Patriot DDR2-800 Ram 2x1gb
Win XP pro SP2 & Win XP64 (have both don't know which I Will run)

For a little background I am not a big gamer....I play a little WOW and sometimes I will get into ut2k4. I also really like RTS games plan to buy Dawn of war and the expansion pack once I have the new system up and running.

I am on a budget and have been piecing this system together for about 3 months....I don't want to spend more then $200 on each card or on a single card...I would like to go with a crossfire setup as I know this board supports it, but I don't like the idea of spending $550 or more on an x1900xt crossfire edition. Any help would be much appreciated.

More about : choosing video card rig

April 10, 2006 2:49:40 AM

Ohhh and I DON"T OVERCLOCK ANYTHING
April 10, 2006 2:54:29 AM

Quote:
Ok folks heres the deal. I have quite a few of my system componets bought already and I am just down to choosing a video card or two for my system......So I need your help my fellow freaks.

Currently I have

Lian Li PC65B case
Plextor DVD burner (slot load) 716al/sw
Plextor CD burner 230a
2 WD Raptor 36 gig HD's that I plan to run in raid 0
Asus p5wd2-e premium (975x chipset)
Intel P4 930 Dual core (3.0ghz)
Patriot DDR2-800 Ram 2x1gb
Win XP pro SP2 & Win XP64 (have both don't know which I Will run)

For a little background I am not a big gamer....I play a little WOW and sometimes I will get into ut2k4. I also really like RTS games plan to buy Dawn of war and the expansion pack once I have the new system up and running.

I am on a budget and have been piecing this system together for about 3 months....I don't want to spend more then $200 on each card or on a single card...I would like to go with a crossfire setup as I know this board supports it, but I don't like the idea of spending $550 or more on an x1900xt crossfire edition. Any help would be much appreciated.
[/b]

If you are not a gamer (and even if you are in most cases) Crossfire/SLI is useless, dont fall for the hype. If you don't want to spend more than $200, lets see here..
A little over but its a nice card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131008

Edit: Don't use X64, its hell to install and find all the drivers you need. Wait for Vista.
!