Weather at destination

I was just wondering if this is any way to get weather information for your
destination in route.

--
Eric Carnahan
Vamustang@adelphia.net

Eric Carnahan <vamustang@adelphia.net> wrote:

> I was just wondering if this is any way to get weather information
> for your destination in route.

Contact Flight Watch on 122.00.

In all seriousness, this is how general aviation do it in real life. I
*believe* that airline pilots don't use Flight Watch; instead they contact
their company's dispatch to retrieve weather en route.

In the sim, the add-on weather utilities such as FSMeteo and ActiveSky have
the ability to give you current weather at your destination. There may
even be a simulated Flight Watch on 122.00. I am not sure if the sim's
default weather utility offers this ability since I have been using an
add-on from day 1.

Keep in mind that if you are more than 1/2 hour out or so, the weather
might differ by the time you arrive.

Additionally, when you are within 80 miles or so (speaking about the sim
and real life) you would dial in the ATIS/AWOS/ASOS weather for your
destination airport, assuming these weather services are offered.

--
Peter

Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote:

A couple of clarifications, since I rushed this post off without an edit:

> In the sim, the add-on weather utilities such as FSMeteo and ActiveSky have
> the ability to give you current weather at your destination. There may
> even be a simulated Flight Watch on 122.00.

The simulated Flight Watch would only be available with the add-on
utilities. It doesn't come with the sim's default weather.

> Additionally, when you are within 80 miles or so (speaking about the sim
> and real life) you would dial in the ATIS/AWOS/ASOS weather for your
> destination airport, assuming these weather services are offered.

The above should read: ... you would dial in the ATIS/AWOS/ASOS weather
*frequency* for your destination airport, assuming these weather services
are offered *at that airport. While all towered airports have weather
reporting, there are many non-towered airports that do not have this
capability.*

--
Peter

GREGORY

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:20:15 -0400, "Eric Carnahan"
<vamustang@adelphia.net> brought the following to our attention:

>I was just wondering if this is any way to get weather information
>for your destination in route.

Here's 2-cents worth.. it seems the feature you seek is lacking.. but
there's a way to get Wx info. It requires the Weather Menu pulldown
and clicking on the LOCAL tab.. zooming out (if required).. arrowing
over to destination.. zooming back in.. and clicking once on airfield
of interest. The weather for that `station' is now available in the
LOCAL tabs.

Someday there'll be a WxAnalyzer that floats over the panel which
will do this and lots more!! Hope info is correct.. not positive so
check it out and hope it works ok.

-Gregory

crash

Eric Carnahan wrote:
> I was just wondering if this is any way to get weather information
> for your destination in route.

Buy Active Sky, your weather will never be the same!

Thanks for all the info, Happy Flying.

--
Eric Carnahan
Vamustang@adelphia.net

"Eric Carnahan" <vamustang@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I was just wondering if this is any way to get weather information for your
>destination in route.
>
> --
> Eric Carnahan
> Vamustang@adelphia.net

Tim

Eric Carnahan wrote:
> I was just wondering if this is any way to get weather information
> for your destination in route.

There's another way of doing it; search on AVSIM for kb_utils.zip and
install it.

kb_utils (Kneeboard Utilities) is a free plug in which allows you to browse
the net (after a fashion) in the electronic kneeboard within FS9. The
default home page has a search facility for you to look up charts and
weather at any airport, if you know the ICAO code (e.g. EGLL = Heathrow). Of
course, this assumes you have an active internet connection whilst you are
on the flight sim.

If you're flying "on-line" using VATSIM, simply type .metar, followed by the
ICAO code into the Squawkbox window.

Hope this helps,

Tim

GREGORY

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 08:19:58 -0500, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Eric Carnahan wrote:
>> I was just wondering if this is any way to get weather information
>> for your destination in route.
>

>Buy Active Sky, your weather will never be the same!

Have been thinking about doing that for a long time.... but still have
numerous questions. Is AS best used for real-world weather downloads
or controlling custom weather? Asking about wxRE for 2k2 in this case.

-Gregory

crash

Gregory wrote:
> Have been thinking about doing that for a long time.... but still have
> numerous questions. Is AS best used for real-world weather downloads
> or controlling custom weather? Asking about wxRE for 2k2 in this case.

Haven't tried it on controlling custom weather, but it makes the real-world
really real-world - most of the time... Not perfect, but a leap forward.
Also haven't tried the latest version yet, as I've not seen any glowing
reviews by anyone saying it's a "must do/have", so I remain skeptical to fix
it if it ain't broke.

Why not simply go to your destination before you take off and download the
current weather there? Then come back and take off? Seems like sense to me?
Cheers
Quilljar

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine and find out all about weather.
http://www.livtech.co.uk