Motherboard for RAID in Linux

sokos

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Hi guys,
I want to built a small file-server with AMD Athlon64x2 3800+ with a RAID 0/1 configuration running on Linux.
What motherboard (and chipset) would you recommend me that will be 100% compatible with Linux (drivers, RAID, etc) ?

dragabain

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Any AMD made chipset is full functional with linux. A bad choice is he Nforce series, they are basically ndswrappered windows versions. I think VIA is a good one, also I've never had problems with SIS with linux. As for the raid, if you've used linux before you'd know that the raid support is outstanding. Almost every card is supported, and if not the software support is still good.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
actually, linux can do raid via software, so you can use virtually any motherboard, sata or pata, with or without an onboard raid controller.
if you're going to use software raid, depending on which mode you use, a good cpu would be nice

maybe he wants to run a few scripts on these files - I've built pretty much the same rig for the same use, and I wanted it to perform OCR on any new file that would come at it.

To answer the question, most RAID chipsets incorporated in motherboards are unsupported in Linux, for one very simple reason: they use the CPU to perform their RAID operations, and it's considered barely less efficient yet much more stable and flexible to set up a software RAID directly under Linux.

nforce430 equipped motherboards gave me satisfaction, provided I DIDN'T enable RAID in BIOS.

sokos

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Thanks guys, let me get into more detail so you can give me your opinion.
The machine is going to be a file server for a netcafe/LANparty, for save/load games of players, upload older games images that can't fit locally on the clients HD's... etc.

What hardware should i go for considering I m definetely choosing Linux over Windows due to better security and cost!