CPU/Mobo for Pro Audio

EBulb

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Hi All

Im about to build a new machine.. It will be dedicated to multitrack audio, im looking for some recommendations on what might be best to get..

1. Ive read about dual core cpus and im wondering if this helps for Sony Vegas and Acid programs ? Even though its a single application does anyone know if these will take advantage of a dual core cpu ? Also does dual core benefit DX/VST plugins ?

2. WHats the difference between hyperthreading and dual core ? I read the 820 is dual core but not hyperthreaded so is that a bad choice ? Its got me a little confused..

3. In the past Intel chipsets were always considered best for audio work but im wondering if anyone might know what is good for AMD ? From what i read im leaning towards the X2 3800+ but i want to make sure the chipset/mobo which will run it is 100% stable and good for audio...

4. I want a mobo with firewire ports onboard if possible via a texas instruments chipset..

5. I want to spend round $1000 AUD ($750USD) for cpu/mobo/2 gig ram/video card.. I dont care much about graphics performance as long as it doesnt cause audio probs...

6. Ive got an old Asus full tower case here that currently houses a I815 mobo.. Is it likely i would be able to use this case for any new machine or has something changed radically where i need a new case ?

The system is only going to have 1 PCI card (creamware pulsar) 2 or 3 internal hard drives and an external drive via firewire.. Maybe a DVD burner also but thats it..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

vulefu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I can recommend a AMD proc. , The sound just sounds better on it.
I had Intel before and producing in reason, now i have amd and its lot better.

What ever you get it will be enough for music.

Only get yourself some awsome soundcard.

http://www.audiotrak.net/ or similiar.

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I can recommend a AMD proc. , The sound just sounds better on it.
I had Intel before and producing in reason, now i have amd and its lot better.

WTF you're talking about... Sounds better on AMD?? smoked some sh!t?? It sounds the same...

I've been producing audio stuff for years (started on a mac) and I've been working with reason/cubase/logic/live
and If you go with a single core ( less $$$), a P4 will be a lot more responsive if you use any VSTi or any other ReWired programs. I've tried an A64 and under heavy load, the difference was obvious!

Never had the chance to use a dual core...

vulefu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
It sounds different :evil:

Yeah last pentium of mine was 3.0ht,its true that amd have havyer load but music sounds better.

grtz!