Does iPAQ receive a new ID after Hard Reset?

October 19, 2004 8:33:36 PM

After a hard reset, I pluged my iPAQ on the cradle. ActiveSync treated it
as new device and requested to enter a new name. When I tried to enter the
name I used before. It says the name is taken. Obviously, Sync wants to
reserve the data for the device before reset. I had no choice. So, I
entered a new name. Of course all backups won't work for the "new" device
name.

Some questions:
1) Does ActiveSync set a name on PPC or it only checks the hardware
attributes and assigns a name for the device, i.e. only the PC knows the
name?
2) Why can't I assign the same name after hard reset? Is it because
there's a kind of hardware ID which is changed after each hard reset?
3) How do I remove a device from ActiveSync?

thanks
Phuoc Can HUA

--
_/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\_
www.huaonline.com

On your computer, open activesync before you connect your hard reset PPC.
Choose File|Delete Partnership. Now when you connect, you can use the
previous name.
Terry

"Phuoc" <home.getrid@this.huaonline.com> wrote in message
news:o psf3tuady15fjyy@news.individual.de...
> After a hard reset, I pluged my iPAQ on the cradle. ActiveSync treated it
> as new device and requested to enter a new name. When I tried to enter the
> name I used before. It says the name is taken. Obviously, Sync wants to
> reserve the data for the device before reset. I had no choice. So, I
> entered a new name. Of course all backups won't work for the "new" device
> name.
>
> Some questions:
> 1) Does ActiveSync set a name on PPC or it only checks the hardware
> attributes and assigns a name for the device, i.e. only the PC knows the
> name?
> 2) Why can't I assign the same name after hard reset? Is it because
> there's a kind of hardware ID which is changed after each hard reset?
> 3) How do I remove a device from ActiveSync?
>
> thanks
> Phuoc Can HUA
>
> --
> _/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\_
> www.huaonline.com
> My Homepage is my Castle

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:33:37 PM

"Phuoc" <home.getrid@this.huaonline.com> wrote in message
news:o psf3tuady15fjyy@news.individual.de...
> 1) Does ActiveSync set a name on PPC or it only checks the hardware
> attributes and assigns a name for the device, i.e. only the PC knows the
> name?

The default name on all pocket pc devices is Pocket_PC, activesync doesn't
set the name. The name is set on the device. You can also change the name
if you wish, I usually do this so when I beam something people know it's me.
To change your device name tap Start>Settings>Ssytem>About>Device ID and the
you can enter in the name for your device. Make sure to use only the
characters supported. After you do this and hit ok to close that window
soft reset your device for the changes to apply.

> 2) Why can't I assign the same name after hard reset? Is it because
> there's a kind of hardware ID which is changed after each hard reset?

You can assign the same name but you have to delete the partnership on the
desktop first. When you sync your device there's a folder under you user
settings that gets set to the name of your device too. When you do a hard
reset on the device the desktop has no idea and the partnership is broken so
when you set it back on the cradle it wants to set a new partnership but
also finds a named directory.

> 3) How do I remove a device from ActiveSync?

Open activesync on the desktop and goto File>Delete Partnership(if you have
more than 1 partnership on the desktop pick the correct one)
Then activesync will ask you to confirm the deletion of the partnership,
click yes but after that activesync will ask if you want to delete the sync
folder which holds all the stuff from "My documents" on the device, click
NO. After you do those steps put the device in the cradle and you should be
good to go, the items in the sync directory will be placed back on your
device.

rights...
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 1:11:22 AM

If you want to use the backup, delete the "new" partnership then connect as
guest. Once connected restore from backup. This will restore the old
partnership (wiuth name) as well as files, registry settings and the like.

Jim

!