stopping ink leaking - storing cartridges

I have an HP DeskJet 895cxi, but i'm hoping that any solution to this
problem will apply to any printer.

When I receive cartridges, they have the tape on them. If I were to
not remove the tape, and just leave the cartridge in a draw on on a
shelf for a year, or 2 years, then would all the ink evaporate? would
i still be able to use the cartridge?

If I want to use it, then store it for a few months, then i obviously
don't want to keep it in my printer. Can I put my own tape on the
cartridge?

I think I read in a newspaper about somebody puttng their ink
cartridges in the freezer. Can anybody vouch for this method?

<jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> When I receive cartridges, they have the tape on them. If I were to
> not remove the tape, and just leave the cartridge in a draw or on a
> shelf for a year, or 2 years, then would all the ink evaporate? would
> i still be able to use the cartridge?

Keep the cartridges in a cool place in the orientation they would be while
hanging on a store display shelf. Look for the "install by" date on the
cartridge. When buying cartridges look for the freshest you can find. The
"install by" date is 18 months from the date of manufacture and the end of
warranty date is 2 years from the date of manufacture for the #45 and #23
cartridge your printer uses. Storage for two years for the color cartridges
would probably be an issue. The ink will not evaporate so much as air will
migrate through the plastic.

> If I want to use it, then store it for a few months, then i obviously
> don't want to keep it in my printer. Can I put my own tape on the
> cartridge?

No. Putting tape on the color cartridge will almost certainly ruin it as the
colors will mix between chambers unless you have the nozzle plate perfectly
clean and dry. Tape residue may cause clogging of the black nozzles. It is
best to leave the cartridges in the printer even if you are storing for a few
months things should be OK.

> I think I read in a newspaper about somebody putting their ink
> cartridges in the freezer. Can anybody vouch for this method?

This could prolong the life of new, taped cartridges. You would need to let
the cartridges return to room temperature (may take a day...) before installing
them in the printer.

In general it would be best to not stock up on cartridges and just purchase
fresh as you need them.

Regards,

On 24 Jan 2005 00:51:51 -0800, jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>I have an HP DeskJet 895cxi, but i'm hoping that any solution to this
>problem will apply to any printer.
>
>When I receive cartridges, they have the tape on them. If I were to
>not remove the tape, and just leave the cartridge in a draw on on a
>shelf for a year, or 2 years, then would all the ink evaporate? would
>i still be able to use the cartridge?
>
>If I want to use it, then store it for a few months, then i obviously
>don't want to keep it in my printer. Can I put my own tape on the
>cartridge?
>
>I think I read in a newspaper about somebody puttng their ink
>cartridges in the freezer. Can anybody vouch for this method?

The tape helps, but there are also some vent holes in the top, so
your cartridges will continue to dry out and are not likely to last
much past the expiration date.

As to the tape, Bob is right when he talks about the color mixing.
I almost ruint a new cartridge by reusing old 'blue tape on the
printhead.

My yellow became orange after just an hour or so, when I put some
tape 'back' on the printhead after using it.

I printed out a dozen sheets of paper with large yellow blocks on it
and the orange gradually turned back to yellow. Evidently the yellow
was only contaminated in the bottom of the cartridge.

Don't reuse the tape!!!

PJ

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 06:48:13 -0800, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
wrote:

><jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> When I receive cartridges, they have the tape on them. If I were to
>> not remove the tape, and just leave the cartridge in a draw or on a
>> shelf for a year, or 2 years, then would all the ink evaporate? would
>> i still be able to use the cartridge?
>
>Keep the cartridges in a cool place in the orientation they would be while
>hanging on a store display shelf. Look for the "install by" date on the
>cartridge. When buying cartridges look for the freshest you can find. The
>"install by" date is 18 months from the date of manufacture and the end of
>warranty date is 2 years from the date of manufacture for the #45 and #23
>cartridge your printer uses. Storage for two years for the color cartridges
>would probably be an issue. The ink will not evaporate so much as air will
>migrate through the plastic.
>
>> If I want to use it, then store it for a few months, then i obviously
>> don't want to keep it in my printer. Can I put my own tape on the
>> cartridge?
>
>No. Putting tape on the color cartridge will almost certainly ruin it as the
>colors will mix between chambers unless you have the nozzle plate perfectly
>clean and dry. Tape residue may cause clogging of the black nozzles. It is
>best to leave the cartridges in the printer even if you are storing for a few
>months things should be OK.
>
>> I think I read in a newspaper about somebody putting their ink
>> cartridges in the freezer. Can anybody vouch for this method?
>
>This could prolong the life of new, taped cartridges. You would need to let
>the cartridges return to room temperature (may take a day...) before installing
>them in the printer.
>
>In general it would be best to not stock up on cartridges and just purchase
>fresh as you need them.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On 24 Jan 2005 00:51:51 -0800, jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>I have an HP DeskJet 895cxi, but i'm hoping that any solution to this
>problem will apply to any printer.

<snip>

Just shove the cartridges as they are in a drawer.