Tell me again how AM2 will compete with Conroe?

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
yeah that's what makes me wonder about all these AMD fanboys that think AMD is gonna be the best forever :roll: no company is the best,.. only products with the best performance are the best.

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
yeah that's what makes me wonder about all these AMD fanboys that think AMD is gonna be the best forever :roll: no company is the best,.. only products with the best performance are the best.

AMD will have something, but I don't think it's going to be too soon.

even when intel first discussed the core architecture, before they showed anything working, AMD was there standing their ground saying they're confident with the architecture they have now.

and now that intel has shown their new architecture off, and results are starting to leak out from a few people that have chips available to them (like the XS forums), I think performance is better than they anticipated. even anylists and review sites predicted core would catch intel up to AMD, not pass them by 20%. AMD talks evolution, not revolution, so their next cpus may have been being designed to take performance where A64 left off, but with better temperatures, more features, etc. which of course they will now have to change, if true.

another thing to note, I think it was the inquirer that had an article up stating that TDP ratings for the turon X2 line are at 35w, which is great for 90nm. but they also had TDP rating for furure 65nm from AMD, which sounds like is coming sooner than expected, and they were also only 35w. maybe 65nm isn't going to give the huge edge all the bleeding heart AMD fans are hoping for.

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
what makes me wonder more is why is pushing the AM2 platyform so much like it's a new architecture or super upgrade.

to me this is similar to intel's move from 478 to LGA775

there was virtually no reason for it other than an attempt to move people over.

the question will be does the Am2 socket provide a greater upgrade path in the future?

will a new architecture be around the corner? for now all the AMD chips going into the AM2 socket will be existing K8 chips with the new memory manager. if this is the case.. what was the prupose of upgrading to the AM2?

even with DDR2 support. regardless of the benefits of that. was changing sockets necessary? going from a 939 pin layout to a 940 pin layout could hardly be worth an entire platform change. there's got to be more. I hardly believe that AMD couldnt' get the DDR2 memory manager on the existing 939. the addition of ONE pin just doesn't make sense.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I dont think AM2 is not any revolution for AMD. they're just updating their platform (=socket, not processor) for DDR2. They could have done the transition to DDR2 with socket 939, but to make things easier to most users, they launched a new socket for DDR2. Changing 939 to DDR2 would cause a bit of confusion, as there would be 939 DDR and 939 DDR2. Remember: the great majority of users dont know sh*t about sockets and other stuff.
"Current" AM2 products will be just a market update for DDR2, as they dont feature any difference to their 939 counterparts, except for the memory controller

i think a new AMD core will come when K8L arrives.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
what makes me wonder more is why is pushing the AM2 platyform so much like it's a new architecture or super upgrade.

to me this is similar to intel's move from 478 to LGA775

there was virtually no reason for it other than an attempt to move people over.

the question will be does the Am2 socket provide a greater upgrade path in the future?

will a new architecture be around the corner? for now all the AMD chips going into the AM2 socket will be existing K8 chips with the new memory manager. if this is the case.. what was the prupose of upgrading to the AM2?

even with DDR2 support. regardless of the benefits of that. was changing sockets necessary? going from a 939 pin layout to a 940 pin layout could hardly be worth an entire platform change. there's got to be more. I hardly believe that AMD couldnt' get the DDR2 memory manager on the existing 939. the addition of ONE pin just doesn't make sense.

it doesn't make sense,... AMD is not acting very smart with that. But, the AM2 platform will pave the way for future upgrades, I believe, and it will improve performance slightly.

the move from 478 to LGA775 paved the way for new technology and better performance, and is far more logical than a move from 939 to 940.

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I dont think AM2 is not any revolution for AMD. they're just updating their platform (=socket, not processor) for DDR2. They could have done the transition to DDR2 with socket 939, but to make things easier to most users, they launched a new socket for DDR2. Changing 939 to DDR2 would cause a bit of confusion, as there would be 939 DDR and 939 DDR2. Remember: the great majority of users dont know sh*t about sockets and other stuff.
"Current" AM2 products will be just a market update for DDR2, as they dont feature any difference to their 939 counterparts, except for the memory controller

i think a new AMD core will come when K8L arrives.

At last! someone with a functional brain!

AM2 isn't supposed to compete against conroe, and I think AM2 had no reason to be released so soon, they should have let their tech grow a little bit, but as you say, they possibly did it for the average joe.

K8L or K10 or wutever they are going to do next @ 65nm, second gen will be worth to see.

Conroe will win the battle, but not the war

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Conroe is already beated with K8L.
Conroe will NEVER beat K8L's floating point power.
Wow....I am impressed how some people are proving their stupidity having no idea what are they and what others are talking about without having any clue or argument talking about things that does not exist and no one knows if they will....

cooler_power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
From my point of view i think Conroe is going to be a little bit faster than FX62 but i am not very sure about that because amd have a big advantage which is called integrated memory controller and hyper transport.

The sure thing is that AMD will be very strong in 2007

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
dude, my comments are based on how the conroe will "be" (IF it really is as benchmarked)....

Conroe will beat the first AM2 socket processor because, what I've read so far (anadndtech lol and other site...too bad) AMD hasnt developed fully AM2, is much more like "939 goes AM2: the same ol stuff with brand new prices!"

If conroe is not what it seems OR AMD comes with a miracle and makes those thingies go bakoom! then conroe will lose the battle.....the first option "seems" more possible

Second part: 100% true....unless a miracle, but a REALLY HOLY miracle happens

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I dont think AM@ purpose is to blow intel out of the water

agreed i think it slike the new 7900GT from nvidia ther eisnt a big preformance jump but the new architechture helps so DDR2 will be like a stepping stone to AMD's sucess

but i'm not a fan boy, if intel out preforms AMD and sells for cheaper or slightly more i'd buy intel, i care for one thing, my money's worth

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
From my point of view i think Conroe is going to be a little bit faster than FX62 but i am not very sure about that because amd have a big advantage which is called integrated memory controller and hyper transport.

The sure thing is that AMD will be very strong in 2007
From my point of view, I belive that Conroe will be much faster(about 20%) than the dualcore K8s at same clock. The Conre XE 3.33GHz FSB1333 will cut off the Athon FX-62 troath.
HTT gives no advantage for the performance of the single processor systems compared to the FSB used on the older AMD and Intel systems and the new Intel Core chips.
The K8 architecture is not optimized for high latency DDR2, does not need more memory bandwidth for singlecore and dualcore K8 processors and is suffering from the high CAS latency.
Unlike K8, Intel Core architecture is almost CAS latency independend. That means that cheap DDR2 can be used for Conroe systems with almost no performance disadventage, unlike the AM2 K8 systems. Core architecture is quite optimized with the Smart Memory Access technology that schedules the memory access and prevents useless memory operations.

CCanadian_Bacon

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
so far, nobody can be sure what AMD will be releasing for their new am2 slot after their current list of CPUs that they SAY they'll release. But one things for sure, nobody has a clue what will happen after that period.

But just like any other time in processor history, (with a few early AMD moments left out) the cpu company with lingering performance will always try to come out on top just like any other business.

a good example would be

ps2 < xbox, in the next-gen consoles xbox360 < ps3, for processors intel > AMD, current situation is AMD < intel

So for now, intel reigns the processor war... for now, till amd thinks up a way to gain the lead. but many factors could make this intel reign last longer then expected, which i doubt due to amds great architecture. Please mistake me if i'm wrong

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
The article explained why they are moving to AM2. Sooner or later processors will need to have what DDR2 offers. Intel made a mistake by going so early, however, now DD2 will be usefull because of Conroe. AMD is moving to DD2 not for this year, or maybe even next years CPUs. They are doing so because sooner or later their
future CPU's will require it. They are not being dumb, just the opposite. Like the article said. Better early than late.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
The AM2 is a socket, not a CPU like Conroe.
From what little I know and hear, the next big CPU leap for AMD is the K10.
I still have no idea what the next Intel socket is though.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
I dont believe AMD ever designed a DDR2 controller. Their DDR3 controller is just doing a half-assed job @ doing DDR2.

metalpium

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
So why not there is not another company producing Cpus as same quality with AMD and INTEL,join in this battle and pull CPU prices down for end users?Why not IBM join in this competition?Arent there any other compnay out there?

borandi

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Wow....I am impressed how some people are proving their stupidity having no idea what are they and what others are talking about without having any clue or argument talking about things that does not exist and no one knows if they will....

Notice how the 2nd quote was from a backwards BullSh*tter...? (BS backwards = rettihSlluB...)