Broken Pins - Need Info

zenge

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
This is what happened. A friend of mine was going to clean the cpu heatsinsk
from the dust, but the cpu was sealed to it and when he puled it out the cpu was on the hts. At this point everything was still fine, cpu was ok, but when he was putting it back he didn't remove the cpu from the hts and installed it properly, instead he forced it down together. And a couple of pins got broken.
So when he started the pc it burned and smelt bad, and the cpu died, the pins left in the socket were fried. Is there a chance that the board is still alive meaning only cpu is dead and could be replaced. The holes on the socket where the pins were is a bit deformed from the heat, but still look funkcional, deformation is not that big.
The board is Gigabyte GA K8NS s939 with nforce 3 chipset.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Wow....tell your friend to learn the meaning of Zero Insertion Force!

I wouldn't risk another CPU in that board. There's no telling what could happen. Even if does work it's likely to be on it's way out now.

Get a new board and CPU.

It's a hard and expensive lesson. Hopefully your friend will learn from it.

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I do not intend to be mean, but I would definately not let that friend ever touch your computer again. To remove dust from a heatsink never requires removing it from the cpu just a can of compressed air. There should never be dust between the heatsink and cpu.