Sign in with
Your question

When is it a Dual Core

Last response: in CPUs
April 10, 2006 6:58:02 PM

Good day :) 

I have an Intel 920D processor installed in a Gigabyte board with 945P chipset.

The task manager does not show 2 CPU history panes, only one.

How do I know that the system is using both cores?

I have Win XP with SP2.

Speed fan has the same function and it too shows ony 1 CPU usage indicator.

More about : dual core

April 10, 2006 7:06:29 PM

Because you have HOME edition, which doesn't support dual core processors. Get XP Pro and then you'll see those cores being supported...
April 10, 2006 7:09:14 PM

holy crap u just wasted a core

hurry up and get XP PRO
Related resources
April 10, 2006 7:12:59 PM

I forgot to mention that I do have Win XP Pro, SP 2.

Any ideas?
April 10, 2006 7:16:01 PM

Now that's wierd... have you checked the settings on the BIOS? Perhaps flashing it with an updated BIOS could help... I don't know now....
April 10, 2006 7:42:32 PM

well that's strange even my cpu wich only has hyperthreading shows the 2 cores, that's veryyy strsnge
April 10, 2006 7:45:41 PM

this happens with a board that doesnt have an up to date BIOS installed

Dual Cores are fairly new to the socket and most boards will require an updatebefore they recognise both cores.

however, XP Home i believe DOES support Dual core. they've redone the licening to say Single Socket rather than cores
April 10, 2006 8:19:42 PM

Quote:

Dual Cores are fairly new to the socket and most boards will require an updatebefore they recognise both cores.

however, XP Home i believe DOES support Dual core. they've redone the licening to say Single Socket rather than cores

Right. Home support dual core, but not dual CPU.
April 10, 2006 8:53:37 PM

I agree with Pat.. just got done reading another thread like this.. :lol: 

XP MS support

Quote:
APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, when used with:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
• Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
April 10, 2006 9:23:01 PM

I guess you don't know what hyperthreading is then.... :roll:

Its basically a virtual core, adding more than one thread onto a single core, making things run more responsively in theory...
April 10, 2006 10:09:20 PM

Hello Yullin!

I am certainly no expert, but I may possibly have the answer to your question.

After reading your post, I decided to go and check in task manager and see if I would see the same view as you experienced. Well, I am runnig Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP2 and I definitely have two panes - one for each core.

While in Task Manager, if you click on "VIEW" and then select "CPU HISTORY" you will find there are two options available:

1- One Graph, All CPU's
2- One Graph Per CPU

If I select #1, then I only have one pane or graph available and of course, #2 gives a graph of each core.

Hope this is helpful and solves your problem!
April 10, 2006 10:32:05 PM

Quote:

This hizzo knows what he be talking about need bios update!
April 10, 2006 10:33:27 PM

your best bet to check it is download cpuz and that will show all the specs of the processor motherboard and memory

!!!apples potatos and pears!!!
April 11, 2006 1:07:20 AM

Quote:
Besides having a BIOS update you need to have ACPI enabled in BIOS.

That is probably what his problem is. Check your HAL and make sure it's set for set for MULTI
April 12, 2006 4:56:28 AM

Quote:
Hello Yullin!

I am certainly no expert, but I may possibly have the answer to your question.

After reading your post, I decided to go and check in task manager and see if I would see the same view as you experienced. Well, I am runnig Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP2 and I definitely have two panes - one for each core.

While in Task Manager, if you click on "VIEW" and then select "CPU HISTORY" you will find there are two options available:

1- One Graph, All CPU's
2- One Graph Per CPU

If I select #1, then I only have one pane or graph available and of course, #2 gives a graph of each core.

Hope this is helpful and solves your problem!

That what i was going to say!
April 12, 2006 7:16:24 PM

Good day

I reinstalled Windows XP Pro SP2 and now I have 2 working cores.

Strange 8O

Thanks

:D 
a c 102 à CPUs
April 13, 2006 3:45:40 AM

The real reason was that like all OSes, there are different kernels for uniprocessor and SMP setups. You would have had to have gone into the Task Manager and uninstalled the driver for "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" to tell Windows to scan for new hardware.

This would have made it ditch ntkrnl (uni-proc kernel) for ntkrmpl (SMP kernel.) Then you would have had both cores seen. Reinstalling XP made the OS look for the CPU(s) and load the right kernel.
!