Canon IP4000 Ink Smudging

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 24, 2005 8:45:19 PM

The plain paper setting is very fast (approx 5 secs a page) however the ink
smudges (leaves ink on your fingers), maybe the ink has not fused properly
with the paper. The photo/high res setting has no smudging issues but the
printing is much slower (approx 30 secs a page). I'm using 100g/m paper
and printing colour business documents. Anyone else got the same results?

Still glad I bought it as the print quality and duplex printing is great.
Also the design is top notch.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 8:45:20 PM

This is a paper issue, try something else. I use HP Multipurpose for all my
flyers and letter, no problems.

"speakeasy" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> The plain paper setting is very fast (approx 5 secs a page) however the
ink
> smudges (leaves ink on your fingers), maybe the ink has not fused properly
> with the paper. The photo/high res setting has no smudging issues but the
> printing is much slower (approx 30 secs a page). I'm using 100g/m paper
> and printing colour business documents. Anyone else got the same results?
>
> Still glad I bought it as the print quality and duplex printing is great.
> Also the design is top notch.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 10:08:29 PM

I found Hammermill paper to be the whitest, brightest and best.

Dan G wrote:

>This is a paper issue, try something else. I use HP Multipurpose for all my
>flyers and letter, no problems.
>

>"speakeasy" <not@home.com> wrote in message
>

>>The plain paper setting is very fast (approx 5 secs a page) however the
>>

>ink
>

>>smudges (leaves ink on your fingers), maybe the ink has not fused properly
>>with the paper. The photo/high res setting has no smudging issues but the
>>printing is much slower (approx 30 secs a page). I'm using 100g/m paper
>>and printing colour business documents. Anyone else got the same results?
>>
>>Still glad I bought it as the print quality and duplex printing is great.
>>Also the design is top notch.

January 25, 2005 9:28:06 PM

speakeasy wrote:
> The plain paper setting is very fast (approx 5 secs a page) however
> the ink smudges (leaves ink on your fingers), maybe the ink has not
> fused properly with the paper. The photo/high res setting has no
> smudging issues but the printing is much slower (approx 30 secs a
> page). I'm using 100g/m paper and printing colour business
> documents. Anyone else got the same results?
>
> Still glad I bought it as the print quality and duplex printing is
> great. Also the design is top notch.

I agree with Dan, i have no problems using Canon plain paper. But, the
reason of not smudging with photo setting is that photo setting uses photo
black ink and not text one.
Duplex printing...it's great, sure, but slow as hell...faster if you do it
manually...
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:46:04 AM

I believe that one of the main reasons that duplex printing is slow, is to
allow the print to dry enough to prevent smuging while printing the second
side.

Bob

--
Remove "NO SPAM" to reply
"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> speakeasy wrote:
>> The plain paper setting is very fast (approx 5 secs a page) however
>> the ink smudges (leaves ink on your fingers), maybe the ink has not
>> fused properly with the paper. The photo/high res setting has no
>> smudging issues but the printing is much slower (approx 30 secs a
>> page). I'm using 100g/m paper and printing colour business
>> documents. Anyone else got the same results?
>>
>> Still glad I bought it as the print quality and duplex printing is
>> great. Also the design is top notch.
>
> I agree with Dan, i have no problems using Canon plain paper. But, the
> reason of not smudging with photo setting is that photo setting uses photo
> black ink and not text one.
> Duplex printing...it's great, sure, but slow as hell...faster if you do it
> manually...

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:46:05 AM

You can set the dry time delay in the "custom settings" section of the
maintenance tab.

"BOB BURKE" <bobburke@optusnet.com.NOSPAM.au> wrote in message
> I believe that one of the main reasons that duplex printing is slow, is to
> allow the print to dry enough to prevent smuging while printing the second
> side.
>
> Bob
>
> --
> Remove "NO SPAM" to reply
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> > speakeasy wrote:
> >> The plain paper setting is very fast (approx 5 secs a page) however
> >> the ink smudges (leaves ink on your fingers), maybe the ink has not
> >> fused properly with the paper. The photo/high res setting has no
> >> smudging issues but the printing is much slower (approx 30 secs a
> >> page). I'm using 100g/m paper and printing colour business
> >> documents. Anyone else got the same results?
> >>
> >> Still glad I bought it as the print quality and duplex printing is
> >> great. Also the design is top notch.
> >
> > I agree with Dan, i have no problems using Canon plain paper. But, the
> > reason of not smudging with photo setting is that photo setting uses
photo
> > black ink and not text one.
> > Duplex printing...it's great, sure, but slow as hell...faster if you do
it
> > manually...

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:49:04 PM

BOB BURKE wrote:
> I believe that one of the main reasons that duplex printing is slow,
> is to allow the print to dry enough to prevent smuging while printing
> the second side.

Maybe you're right. But, i have this feeling that before printer takes paper
back in for second side print, it's doing....something....for quite a
time...it's similar like when you print first page after a day of rest, it
starts, then again it's "doing" something for almost a minute, then it spits
out page. OK, cleaning heads, making sure ink will flow etc. But, must be
all this so long...?
BTW...i just read some printer review and they briefly said that duplex
printing degrades print quality...i wonder why...

!