Bluetooth to a proxy server?

a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 7:38:03 AM

Our business won't ever run wifi, so I was wondering if I might do it through Bluetooth link to my laptop. (I've got an old Bluetooth compactflash card that works in my laptop and allows me to link the two for synchronization). My question is, if I make a synchronization link to my laptop and its also running a running proxy server, would web page requests from the pocketpc be sent through the proxy server? I've got an IPAQ 5550 if that makes any difference.

More about : bluetooth proxy server

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 5:44:25 PM

In Activesync 3.7 (or maybe even 3.6, I don't quite remember) and beginning
from Pocket PC 2002, you don't need a proxy server in your laptop.

Activesync has a Passthrough functionality that will let you connect to the
Internet through the gateway that your computer is connected to as long as
your device is connected by Activesync. You will surely be able to surf the
web; regarding email, MSN Messenger and others, it depends on the settings
of your company's firewall. But in general, every function in the PPC which
you can do from the PC will be available in the PPC as well. It is just like
being directly connected (except for the fact that it goes a little slower.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"Brian H" <brianh4321@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Our business won't ever run wifi, so I was wondering if I might do it
through Bluetooth link to my laptop. (I've got an old Bluetooth compactflash
card that works in my laptop and allows me to link the two for
synchronization). My question is, if I make a synchronization link to my
laptop and its also running a running proxy server, would web page
requests from the pocketpc be sent through the proxy server? I've got an
IPAQ 5550 if that makes any difference.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 5:44:26 PM

Well I've tried that but it doesn't seem to load pages very well. Not nearly as good as when the PPC is connected with Wifi. Maybe something to do with our firewall. We use secure-remote.

nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<udJlrEdtEHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>

In Activesync 3.7 (or maybe even 3.6, I don't quite remember) and beginning
from Pocket PC 2002, you don't need a proxy server in your laptop.

Activesync has a Passthrough functionality that will let you connect to the
Internet through the gateway that your computer is connected to as long as
your device is connected by Activesync. You will surely be able to surf the
web; regarding email, MSN Messenger and others, it depends on the settings
of your company's firewall. But in general, every function in the PPC which
you can do from the PC will be available in the PPC as well. It is just like
being directly connected (except for the fact that it goes a little slower.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"Brian H" <brianh4321@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Our business won't ever run wifi, so I was wondering if I might do it
through Bluetooth link to my laptop. (I've got an old Bluetooth compactflash
card that works in my laptop and allows me to link the two for
synchronization). My question is, if I make a synchronization link to my
laptop and its also running a running proxy server, would web page
requests from the pocketpc be sent through the proxy server? I've got an
IPAQ 5550 if that makes any difference.

[microsoft.public.pocketpc]
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2004 8:12:18 PM

Well, Wifi works around 10-15 times faster than this serial BT connection

--

> Well I've tried that but it doesn't seem to load pages very well. Not
nearly as good as when the PPC is connected with Wifi. Maybe something to do
with our firewall. We use secure-remote.

nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<udJlrEdtEHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>

> In Activesync 3.7 (or maybe even 3.6, I don't quite remember) and
beginning
> from Pocket PC 2002, you don't need a proxy server in your laptop.
>
> Activesync has a Passthrough functionality that will let you connect to
the
> Internet through the gateway that your computer is connected to as long
as
> your device is connected by Activesync. You will surely be able to surf
the
> web; regarding email, MSN Messenger and others, it depends on the
settings
> of your company's firewall. But in general, every function in the PPC
which
> you can do from the PC will be available in the PPC as well. It is just
like
> being directly connected (except for the fact that it goes a little
slower.

> --
> Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
> http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
>

> "Brian H" <brianh4321@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Our business won't ever run wifi, so I was wondering if I might do it
> through Bluetooth link to my laptop. (I've got an old Bluetooth
compactflash
> card that works in my laptop and allows me to link the two for
> synchronization). My question is, if I make a synchronization link to my
> laptop and its also running a running proxy server, would web page
> requests from the pocketpc be sent through the proxy server? I've got an
> IPAQ 5550 if that makes any difference.
> >

> [microsoft.public.pocketpc]

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2004 8:12:19 PM

Well, I can understand the speed improvement, but many pages simply won't load.

nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<ueZQA8qtEHA.636@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>

Well, Wifi works around 10-15 times faster than this serial BT connection

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"Brian H" <brianh4321@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well I've tried that but it doesn't seem to load pages very well. Not
nearly as good as when the PPC is connected with Wifi. Maybe something to do
with our firewall. We use secure-remote.

nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<udJlrEdtEHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>

> In Activesync 3.7 (or maybe even 3.6, I don't quite remember) and
beginning
> from Pocket PC 2002, you don't need a proxy server in your laptop.
>
> Activesync has a Passthrough functionality that will let you connect to
the
> Internet through the gateway that your computer is connected to as long
as
> your device is connected by Activesync. You will surely be able to surf
the
> web; regarding email, MSN Messenger and others, it depends on the
settings
> of your company's firewall. But in general, every function in the PPC
which
> you can do from the PC will be available in the PPC as well. It is just
like
> being directly connected (except for the fact that it goes a little
slower.

> --
> Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
> http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
>

> "Brian H" <brianh4321@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Our business won't ever run wifi, so I was wondering if I might do it
> through Bluetooth link to my laptop. (I've got an old Bluetooth
compactflash
> card that works in my laptop and allows me to link the two for
> synchronization). My question is, if I make a synchronization link to my
> laptop and its also running a running proxy server, would web page
> requests from the pocketpc be sent through the proxy server? I've got an
> IPAQ 5550 if that makes any difference.
> >

> [microsoft.public.pocketpc]

[microsoft.public.pocketpc]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 21, 2004 3:16:56 PM

I can't see any reason for them not to load. The connection is the same as a
regular connection. I don't catch pages that don't load when I do it through
Activesync. Can you give me a link as an example?

--

> Well, I can understand the speed improvement, but many pages simply won't
load.

nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<ueZQA8qtEHA.636@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>

> Well, Wifi works around 10-15 times faster than this serial BT
connection

> --
> Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
> http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
>

> "Brian H" <brianh4321@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Well I've tried that but it doesn't seem to load pages very well. Not
> nearly as good as when the PPC is connected with Wifi. Maybe something to
do
> with our firewall. We use secure-remote.

nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<udJlrEdtEHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>

> > In Activesync 3.7 (or maybe even 3.6, I don't quite remember) and
> beginning
> > from Pocket PC 2002, you don't need a proxy server in your laptop.
> >
> > Activesync has a Passthrough functionality that will let you connect to
> the
> > Internet through the gateway that your computer is connected to as long
> as
> > your device is connected by Activesync. You will surely be able to surf
> the
> > web; regarding email, MSN Messenger and others, it depends on the
> settings
> > of your company's firewall. But in general, every function in the PPC
> which
> > you can do from the PC will be available in the PPC as well. It is just
> like
> > being directly connected (except for the fact that it goes a little
> slower.
> >

> > --
> > Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
> > http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
> >

> > "Brian H" <brianh4321@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Our business won't ever run wifi, so I was wondering if I might do it
> > through Bluetooth link to my laptop. (I've got an old Bluetooth
> compactflash
> > card that works in my laptop and allows me to link the two for
> > synchronization). My question is, if I make a synchronization link to
my
> > laptop and its also running a running proxy server, would web page
> > requests from the pocketpc be sent through the proxy server? I've got
an
> > IPAQ 5550 if that makes any difference.
> > >

> > [microsoft.public.pocketpc]
> >

> [microsoft.public.pocketpc]

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 21, 2004 3:16:57 PM

Thanks for your help, I've tried it again and things seem to work better although slow (might have something to do with the Bluetooth signal being better than before). One problem page that I consistently have problems with is www.cnn.com . Often much of the graphics won't load and the links will come up bad.

nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<uqNMn70tEHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>

[microsoft.public.pocketpc]
!