is iStar USA a reputable PSU manufacturer?

Zaq005

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
Hello, I am making a gaming computer and want to have a good, stable PSU for it, the question recently occured to me... should I keep the iStar USA OEM PCU that I ordered or go for a different brand?

(Link)

It boils down to three questions:
1. Is this a good brand/PSU?
2. Would it be okay to use this one for a few days while another is being delivered? Or is it sooooo horrible that I shouldn't risk it?
3. For around the same price, what PSU do you reccomend?

What are your system specs in your proposed rig?

1. $215 is top dollar for a PSU, but I don't know much about this company.
2. Don't know
3. FSP Epsilon 700W IF I was going to spend that much money. Unless you have a monstrous rig that you plan to OC like a beast, then you'll never need that much power. You could easily go for the 600W version. Read this SYSOPT.com Monster PSU Face-Off. You could more than likely go for a less expensive, good-quality PSU.

ProdigyMS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I've never heard of them, but seems to be highly expensive. If it were me, I'd be ordering a new one from a very reputable company. Your PSU is your source, get a bad one, you may end up getting a bad computer. Your PSU dies, it can take everything else with it (Which I've hear numerous stories of this happening). It's just a risk I wouldn't even think about doing. FSP Forton or whatever seems to be very popular on these forums. I myself have never owned one, but I guess it depends on how much money you have to spend and what your computer specs are. A few brands that are very reputable seem to be OCZ, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, FSP, E-Power/Tagan, and a few more others. I use a Tagan 480Watt PSU in my high end rig, cost $90, and have used it in my gaming computer, and my brothers. They have both been running strong for around 1 year, no problems.

Edit: And $200 for a PSU is overkill IMO. Theres only a few ways I would go for a 650+ Watt PSU and one that costed over $160. Only if I was building a server PC, or rig with dual video cards, 4x hard drives, 4x CD Rom drives, and a load of other parts.