A survey. - what altitude do you fly

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 3, 2005 3:04:35 AM

Here is a simple poll. It may be interesting to see the results.

http://www.coolsurveys.com/cgi-bin/cSurvey?flight-altit...

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

More about : survey altitude fly

July 3, 2005 3:04:36 AM

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:04:35 GMT, boB <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom>
brought the following to our attention:

>Here is a simple poll. It may be interesting to see the results.
>
>http://www.coolsurveys.com/cgi-bin/cSurvey?flight-altit...

yeah yeah.. good topic. I didn't vote...a bit leery of clicking on NOW
button. For the Boeing Jetliner.. it's anywhere from FL310 to FL 370
depending on weight and length of trip. If really heavy.. then initial
climb to FL290 with step climbs. Between FS2k2 ATC and FSNav..
the route is covered ok even with step ALTs. Mostly depends on
east or west heading, gross weight, and flight manuals.

-Gregory
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:04:36 AM

A tough call as I fly both a 737 and 182 Cessna. It seems
one-dimensional to fly only "heavies" or only "low and slow". If pushed
to choose I have to go with the Cessna at 2500'-7500'.
Related resources
July 3, 2005 5:24:41 AM

I've been flying over the U.S.A. stopping at all the state capitols in my
Learjet. I like to fly at from 19,000 to 25,000 feet because the scenery
looks best at those altitudes. It seems I rate 3rd in the vote, but as long
as I'm happy, that's the main thing. If I do fly the Boeings, I do so from
FL30 TO FL35, if for no other reason, than to save a few bucks on fuel. The
scenery doesn't look quite as sharp from up there, and really, isn't that
what seems to make simming more fun.....that is, when you can see the ground
clearly from the cockpit? Hmmmmm......that reminds me of one of my
favourite songs.....lemme see.....'I can see clearly now the rain is gone; I
can see all obtacles in my way; Gone are the dark clouds which had me down;
It's gonna be a sun-sun-shiny day! la la la la : )

Arthur
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:24:44 AM

60000-65000 feet... Man i love concorde.... Concorde FOREVER!

29000-33000 normaly, mainly fly 737s
38000-43000 with the 787 model I have....

voted above 30'000

--
From Adam Webb, Overlag
www.tacticalgamer.com
"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> Here is a simple poll. It may be interesting to see the results.
>
> http://www.coolsurveys.com/cgi-bin/cSurvey?flight-altit...
>
> --
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
July 3, 2005 5:24:45 AM

Adam Webb wrote:

> 60000-65000 feet... Man i love concorde.... Concorde FOREVER!
>
> 29000-33000 normaly, mainly fly 737s
> 38000-43000 with the 787 model I have....
>
> voted above 30'000
>
> --
> From Adam Webb, Overlag

Unfortunately I had only 6 spaces for the answers so I couldn't get
"Quilling about" in there. But it sounds like you are way up there so
you picked the right answer for you. :)

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

To reply privately, get rid of PuPPYmillS
akita_77PuPPYmillS@yahoo.com
(akita_77-note the underscore)
July 3, 2005 7:31:11 AM

Gregory wrote:

> yeah yeah.. good topic. I didn't vote...a bit leery of clicking on NOW
> button. For the Boeing Jetliner.. it's anywhere from FL310 to FL 370
> depending on weight and length of trip. If really heavy.. then initial
> climb to FL290 with step climbs. Between FS2k2 ATC and FSNav..
> the route is covered ok even with step ALTs. Mostly depends on
> east or west heading, gross weight, and flight manuals.
>
> -Gregory

I hope everything is OK with clicking to vote. I've not had any problems
with other poll sites.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

To reply privately, get rid of PuPPYmillS
akita_77PuPPYmillS@yahoo.com
(akita_77-note the underscore)
July 3, 2005 11:23:12 AM

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 01:24:41 -0400, "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com>
brought the following to our attention:

> I like to fly at from 19,000 to 25,000 feet because the scenery
>looks best at those altitudes.

Arthur.. check out the `hey Dallas - weird site' post... :)

-Gregory
July 3, 2005 12:46:29 PM

On 2 Jul 2005 19:33:51 -0700, "aakermit" <aakermit@earthlink.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>A tough call as I fly both a 737 and 182 Cessna. It seems
>one-dimensional to fly only "heavies" or only "low and slow".
>If pushed to choose... go with the Cessna at 2500'-7500'.

2500 - 7500 you say??

well.. here's the downwind leg thru 5,400 crossing the L.A. basin for
KONT 8L.. after cruising across Arizona at FL340. The cargo run into
Ontario, California. Tried to export the image as JPG but even at the
lowest compress setting.. it wasn't coming out.. below is 966k PNG.

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/KONT_downwind_leg.png

Hmm.. how could
anyone tolerate such an old piece-of-junk 500MHz Sim platform?

Here's the appr view.. with same ol' hacker panel (chopped top edge).

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/KONT_final.jpg (251k)

the L.A. basin is essentially 100 miles from one end to the other!!

-Gregory
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:46:50 PM

A difficult survey for us quillers. I usually fly above 1000ft but hardly
ever higher than 3000, and that would be for aerobatics. I fly the sim
almost exactly how I fly IRL. I am afraid of heights, especially when
connected to the ground, like in an elevator or on a ladder. Also, when IRL
I start to fly solo in a small GA aircraft, above around 5000ft , I get the
feeling that the bottom of the aircraft might fall out and me with it. I
NEVER felt like that when another pilot was in charge, only when I am solo!
I am never worried in commercial airliners.

Cheers
Quilly

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
July 3, 2005 12:46:51 PM

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 08:46:50 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

> I am afraid of heights, especially when connected to the ground..
> like in an elevator or on a ladder. Also, when IRL I start to fly solo
> in a small GA aircraft, above around 5000ft, I get the feeling that
> the bottom of the aircraft might fall out and me with it.

oh, for goodness sake!! must have been from the carrier landings. :)
boB.. do you think this is another form of Veterans Syndrome?

-G
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:17:45 PM

<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>A difficult survey for us quillers. I usually fly above 1000ft but hardly
>ever higher than 3000, and that would be for aerobatics. I fly the sim
>almost exactly how I fly IRL. I am afraid of heights, especially when
>connected to the ground, like in an elevator or on a ladder. Also, when IRL
>I start to fly solo in a small GA aircraft, above around 5000ft , I get the
>feeling that the bottom of the aircraft might fall out and me with it. I
>NEVER felt like that when another pilot was in charge, only when I am solo!
>I am never worried in commercial airliners.
>
>Cheers
>Quilly
>

>Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
>http://www.livtech.co.uk

I used to fly at high Altitudes exclusively in MSFS, while in real
life, usually at 1500-2500 feet. Since I purchased Misty Fjords, I am
usually flying about 1-3 thousand feet AGL and enjoying the scenery
and terrain, and hand flying a multitude of aircraft I currently use,
from the Carenado C182-RG, Real Air Scout and SF-260, Bill Lyons Goose
and Sikorsky S-43, etc.... I fired up the PMDG 737 last month and
after 1 hour at 31,000, I decided that it was boring me to death.
Haven't used it since.

Bob
July 3, 2005 1:17:46 PM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 09:17:45 GMT, Capt Bob <nospam@nospam.com> brought
the following to our attention:

>I fired up the PMDG 737 last month and after 1 hour at 31,000
>decided that it was boring me to death. Haven't used it since.

The 737 that you describe must have an FMS.. that could get boring.
I've been doing 2.0 - 3.5 hr jet flights in order to take on more fuel
(weight) and manage the JT8D engines in the HOT weather. When
the Sim flies like in the manual.. then it's a lot more fun.

PLus.. handling HDG manually via.. ummm.. radio navigation. ;}

Want a more exciting jet suggestion..? If you like the southwest USA
then try-out a flight from EL Paso or Tucson into KONT (Ontario)
arriving the following STAR.. and suggest to do it at dusk with 38m
mesh, deluxe land class, roads, shores, night textures.. the works.
Oh.. and crank the hot weather up!!

Seter STAR (from FSNav)..
http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/KONT_STAR.gif

STAR from real PDF doc (enhanced)..
http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Seter_8L.gif

hope your radios are workin' ..

-Gregory

p.s. mostly having fun with PSP7 and Nav charts...
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:27:03 PM

Very nice shots! My home base is KVNY (www.onesixright.com) I fly my
Cessna182 around the West Coast of the US, up to British Columbia and
Alaska. Nowhere have I found more varied scenery or elevations. I
like flying out of Death Valley from 270' below sea level and heading
for Alaska. What scenery mesh do you use?
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:41:06 PM

news:D a88lq$sgl$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> A difficult survey for us quillers. I usually fly above 1000ft but hardly
> ever higher than 3000, and that would be for aerobatics. I fly the sim
> almost exactly how I fly IRL. I am afraid of heights, especially when
> connected to the ground, like in an elevator or on a ladder. Also, when
IRL
> I start to fly solo in a small GA aircraft, above around 5000ft , I get
the
> feeling that the bottom of the aircraft might fall out and me with it. I
> NEVER felt like that when another pilot was in charge, only when I am
solo!
> I am never worried in commercial airliners.

Wanna hear how I got over a similar feeling?

I took a 172 up to around 17,500 (took 1+45!) and then opened the window
for a minute. Never had the feeling down low again! <G>

Earl
--
Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico USA

>> I am afraid of heights, especially when connected to the ground..
>> like in an elevator or on a ladder. Also, when IRL I start to fly
>> solo in a small GA aircraft, above around 5000ft, I get the feeling
>> that the bottom of the aircraft might fall out and me with it.
>

> oh, for goodness sake!! must have been from the carrier landings. :)
> boB.. do you think this is another form of Veterans Syndrome?
>
> -G

What do you mean veteran? I'll have you know that you are as old as you
feel.
Oh yes I see, I do feel very old...you're right.

--
Cheers
Quilly

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:07:05 PM

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:04:35 GMT, boB wrote:

> Here is a simple poll. It may be interesting to see the results.
>
> http://www.coolsurveys.com/cgi-bin/cSurvey?flight-altit...

Usually between 10.000 and 20.000 when flying my favorite multi-props.

Between FL230 and FL330 when flying the PMDG737.
Between FL800 and FL900 when flying the SR-7 (I miss that BTW!)
Generally 5000 ft AGL when flying a helicopter or single prop.

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Gear up, AP engaged...hey...what's that emergency light?)

Earl Needham wrote:
> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D a88lq$sgl$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> A difficult survey for us quillers. I usually fly above 1000ft but
>> hardly ever higher than 3000, and that would be for aerobatics. I
>> fly the sim almost exactly how I fly IRL. I am afraid of heights,
>> especially when connected to the ground, like in an elevator or on a
>> ladder. Also, when IRL I start to fly solo in a small GA aircraft,
>> above around 5000ft , I get the feeling that the bottom of the
>> aircraft might fall out and me with it. I NEVER felt like that when
>> another pilot was in charge, only when I am solo! I am never worried
>> in commercial airliners.
>
> Wanna hear how I got over a similar feeling?
>
> I took a 172 up to around 17,500 (took 1+45!) and then opened the
> window for a minute. Never had the feeling down low again! <G>
>
> Earl

Sounds a good idea to me. Next time I get the chance I'll try it !

--
Cheers
Quilly

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:08:14 PM

I have lived my entire 57 years in Southern California, so I know the
terrain like the back of my hand, but I'm relatively new to flight Sim.
I downloaded my first add-on aircraft today, an L-1011 from Eastern
Virtual Airlines. Now I'm ready for scenery. Where do I go to get the
FSG 38m USA mesh with FS2k2 by Matt Fox or the Raimondo Taburet
payware?
Thanks,
Greg Taylor
(aakermit)
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 10:01:45 PM

news:D a88lq$sgl$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>A difficult survey for us quillers. I usually fly above 1000ft but hardly
>ever higher than 3000, and that would be for aerobatics. I fly the sim
>almost exactly how I fly IRL. I am afraid of heights, especially when
>connected to the ground, like in an elevator or on a ladder. Also, when IRL
>I start to fly solo in a small GA aircraft, above around 5000ft , I get the
>feeling that the bottom of the aircraft might fall out and me with it. I
>NEVER felt like that when another pilot was in charge, only when I am solo!
>I am never worried in commercial airliners.

Strangley enough I had exactly that feeling. I was at about 5000' in a
glider and suddenly became acutely aware that there was only 2" between the
bottom of my seat and the floor of the cockpit, and that meant there was
almost nothing between me and the ground. Very odd feeling.

Never had that before, but never been above 3000 before as I usually fly in
restricted airspace with a top at 3000'.

I think it was just at the point when the instructor in the back pointed out
how far we could see from that height, Birmingham (uk) on one side, and
right out down the Bristol Channel watching Wales and Devon disappear on the
other.

I must have a shot at that in FS and see if the view is modelled to match
what I saw that day.
July 3, 2005 11:25:10 PM

On 3 Jul 2005 09:27:03 -0700, "aakermit" <aakermit@earthlink.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>Very nice shots! My home base is KVNY (www.onesixright.com) I fly my
>Cessna182 around the West Coast of the US, up to British Columbia and
>Alaska. Nowhere have I found more varied scenery or elevations. I
>like flying out of Death Valley from 270' below sea level and heading
>for Alaska. What scenery mesh do you use?

Oh thanks.. couldn't seem to get the color balance just right on the
downwind shot. Also this came close to hyjacking another post. Have
a FSNav flight plan out of Van Nuys 16R turning left heading for
Phoenix.. that's a good Sim right before dinner! :)

Bet you're very much familiar with the California terrain. Am using
FSG 38m USA mesh with FS2k2 California Land Class v2 by Matt
Fox which really looks great. Also have FS9 terrain BMPs in FS8.

10m Spot Mesh

Raimondo Taburet has 10m mesh packs for L.A., S.F. Bay Area, and
Tahoe however they are payware of less than $10 ea. Not yet installed,
but if there happens to be some incompatibility.. then RT 38m USA mesh
is just a checkbox away.

-Gregory
July 4, 2005 1:10:19 AM

Gregory wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 08:46:50 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
> <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
> attention:
>

>>I am afraid of heights, especially when connected to the ground..
>>like in an elevator or on a ladder. Also, when IRL I start to fly solo
>>in a small GA aircraft, above around 5000ft, I get the feeling that
>>the bottom of the aircraft might fall out and me with it.
>

> oh, for goodness sake!! must have been from the carrier landings. :)
> boB.. do you think this is another form of Veterans Syndrome?
>
> -G

Could very well be..... When I pre-flighted my ultralight I paid
specific attention to the cross bars and mounting points for the seat.
If the bottom fell out, you would too.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

To reply privately, get rid of PuPPYmillS
akita_77PuPPYmillS@yahoo.com
(akita_77-note the underscore)
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:18:37 AM

boB wrote:
> Gregory wrote:
>

>> yeah yeah.. good topic. I didn't vote...a bit leery of clicking on NOW
>> button. For the Boeing Jetliner.. it's anywhere from FL310 to FL 370
>> depending on weight and length of trip. If really heavy.. then initial
>> climb to FL290 with step climbs. Between FS2k2 ATC and FSNav.. the
>> route is covered ok even with step ALTs. Mostly depends on east or
>> west heading, gross weight, and flight manuals.
>>
>> -Gregory
>>

> I hope everything is OK with clicking to vote.

No matter what you click, you vote for Bush. Especially if you live in
the Florida panhandle.

John

July 5, 2005 2:13:40 AM

The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
> boB wrote:
>
>> Gregory wrote:
>>

>>> yeah yeah.. good topic. I didn't vote...a bit leery of clicking on NOW
>>> button. For the Boeing Jetliner.. it's anywhere from FL310 to FL 370
>>> depending on weight and length of trip. If really heavy.. then initial
>>> climb to FL290 with step climbs. Between FS2k2 ATC and FSNav.. the
>>> route is covered ok even with step ALTs. Mostly depends on east or
>>> west heading, gross weight, and flight manuals.
>>>
>>> -Gregory
>>>

>> I hope everything is OK with clicking to vote.
>

> No matter what you click, you vote for Bush. Especially if you live in
> the Florida panhandle.

> John

Man-O-Man. I'm just going to lay down and watch Fox News.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

To reply privately, get rid of PuPPYmillS
akita_77PuPPYmillS@yahoo.com
(akita_77-note the underscore)
July 6, 2005 4:41:59 PM

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 09:41:06 -0600, "Earl Needham"
<munged@3lefties.com> brought the following to our attention:

>"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:D a88lq$sgl$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> A difficult survey for us quillers. I usually fly above 1000ft but hardly
>> ever higher than 3000, and that would be for aerobatics. I fly the sim
>> almost exactly how I fly IRL. I am afraid of heights, especially when
>> connected to the ground, like in an elevator or on a ladder. Also, when IRL
>> I start to fly solo in a small GA aircraft, above around 5000ft , I get the
>> feeling that the bottom of the aircraft might fall out and me with it. I
>> NEVER felt like that when another pilot was in charge, only when I am solo!
>> I am never worried in commercial airliners.

> Wanna hear how I got over a similar feeling?
>
>I took a 172 up to around 17,500 (took 1+45!) and then opened the window
>for a minute. Never had the feeling down low again! <G>
>
> Earl

Actually.. there WAS one time it felt like we'd tumble out and plunge
to the ground. It was a departure out of DFW.. one of the right
parallels heading due north.. and (what else) a TWA 722 .. simple
white and RED markings.

we took off.. and on the initial climb seg.. turned left.. AND then
turned back hard to the right!! Was sitting in a starboard wing
seat.. and suddenly was looking directly into the ground at just a few
thousand feet!!

must have been lining up with a radial or some FP segment. doubt the
flaps were cleaned up yet.. only time recalling the `fall out' feeling
...it was a long time ago. And how about those United, O'Hare TO's?

-Gregory

p.s. even the FA's though the jetliner was kewl.. they'd say...

"..for the safety card. As you can probably tell..
this here's a Boeing Seven Twenty Seven
Two Hundred aircraft... " :)
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:04:05 PM

Try here http://portal.fsgenesis.net/index.php

"aakermit" <aakermit@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have lived my entire 57 years in Southern California, so I know the
> terrain like the back of my hand, but I'm relatively new to flight Sim.
> I downloaded my first add-on aircraft today, an L-1011 from Eastern
> Virtual Airlines. Now I'm ready for scenery. Where do I go to get the
> FSG 38m USA mesh with FS2k2 by Matt Fox or the Raimondo Taburet
> payware?
> Thanks,
> Greg Taylor
> (aakermit)

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:30:09 PM

I like to fly low and slow, 2500 to 4000 above ground level since I am an
"eye-candy" freak.
I use FSGenesis Mesh and LandClass, FScene textures, Ultimate Terrain, All
Roads of Europe, NuRoads 2.0, Runway12 and all manner of individual city and
airport downloads.
I prefer the look of FS roads , autogen and 3d buildings and objects to
photo real scenery when flying low, as photoreal gets too blurry.

Here are some ScreenShots:
http://portal.fsgenesis.net/modules.php?set_albumName=a...

........frank

!